IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Loss of the lacquer layer or label on a CD top will expose the reflecting medium to physical damage. I've tried patching CDs up that have lost that layer and it's no use. I'm not sure what they do in the reflective medium, but I don't think it can be replaced by the end user. Adding something reflective would unbalance the disc and cause it to not read.

IIRC, on a CD-R or RW, the dye is in between the polycarbonate and the reflective medium. I'd have to look it up to be sure, though.

My dad got some stuff from this house and in it was a few Videogame related stuff.

A Wii fit in the box with the game(looks like it has never been used)

2 Guitar hero PS3 controllers(regular and Stratocaster version)

Brain age 2(it was in a Pokemon pearl box,i didn't have pearl so i was excited but brain age is good too)

a red and black DS Lite in great condition with Super scribblenauts(which i am enjoying!)

and a Flip ultra HD camera!

Also got Mario kart double dash,Paper mario and the thousand year door and Sonic mega collection in another find!

so i can't complain,after all it was free :-D

• Like 1

Amazing day at the flea market today! I hadn't been for a while, but I sold two typewriters the other day and decided to splurge.

The loot, in the order I found them:

Kodak Super-8 camera and Tele Disc camera: $5

Stereo CED player: $15

Boxed Commodore 64 [Refurbished]: $15

Atari 520ST lot: $10

I always find the best things on Wednesdays and Fridays because that's when all the one-time sellers show up (it's cheaper to sell on those days).

CED Player

Atari 520ST Lot + Trackball

Camera Lot

Refurbished Commodore 64 Computer [in box] 1/3

Refurbished Commodore 64 Computer [in box] 2/3

Refurbished Commodore 64 Computer [in box] 3/3

(I'm still trying to figure out how to post images correctly)

Edited by MagnaFarce

Finally found some stuff worth getting (though it's certainly nothing I needed).

Ultima VII: Part Two, $2. Same price I paid for the Complete Gold Box brand new back in the day, but those Gold Boxes just had the CD in an empty jewel case and a card telling you how to run the games in DOS. Looks pretty complete and fairly minty, even the receipt is still in there.

Quest for Glory 2, $1.50. Also looks pretty complete (I didn't see a receipt though, I'll look through it more thoroughly later). Even has a hintbook and decoder in there, I thought you had to order those seperately?

The Shadow of Yserbius and The Fates of Twinion, $2. Never played it before, and I'm not into MMOs, but why not? The fact that it has solo campaigns sounded kind of neat, and apparently you can still play the first one online.

Would you be willing to sell either of those? I especially want that Atari ST due to mine being a few thousands miles away and broken.

Sorry, I plan on keeping them. I've been wanting some classic computers for a while and I just found them. If you want I could go back to the flea market tomorrow and see if the two people with computers are there again. The person I bought the Commodore from had another boxed one as well, but I don't think it had a power source, and the guy I bought the Atari from also had an Apple ][, a Vic-20, and a Tandy (if memory serves correctly). I'm not sure if his computers had all the hookups.

Picked up a light sixer, a woody, two joysticks, a single power supply, and 25 common to semi common games for $45 at a garage sale. The folks have a Gaunlet II arcade machine, 1 NES toaster, two Genesis consoles, a small stack of Intellivision commons, and enough NES carts to fill about three small U-Haul boxes.

I'm headed out to the Golden Goose here in a few with half a dozen consoles and some duplicate games. If the stuff hasn't sold by this evening, I'll post some pics.

I grabbed a Sears picture label of Gunslinger for $2 at a local pawn shop, along with a clean copy of Dolphin also for $2. Gunslinger is going up for sale since I've already got one like it. It's in great shape.

Also grabbed up Bible Adventures for the NES and I grabbed up a second Booster Grip for $7 and a GameCube LAN adapter for $20 from Vintage Stock. I thought $20 was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I found several completed ebay listings for $50!

Edited by shadow460

Not a thrift find but interesting enough. Got it on ebay for $10 + shipping. I've seen these joysticks only a couple of times in 20+ years of collecting and both times they were 9-pin Atari sticks (believe they had an adapter for Apple II's as well) but this was the first time I've seen a version for the Coco. Works great and a very interesting little joystick.

I have one of those...very cool!

I was able to pick up a few items this weekend at the thrift store/yard sales:

Stryper Live in Japan & Stryper In the Beginning VHS tapes - .25 each

Super Rack-O (sealed) 1983 - $2.50

PS1 Ready to Rumble & Big Hurt - $1.50 each

KOTOR II complete - $2.75

Sam and Max Hit the Road complete (3.5 disks) - $2.75

post-30739-0-78453300-1352088342_thumb.jpg

Eichner 5.25 disk holder (new) - $2.75

Atari lot - $5

post-30739-0-93063000-1352088409_thumb.jpg

Laser Discs - .50 each

post-30739-0-22505000-1352088463_thumb.jpg

not too bad for a dry area. I almost fell over when I found that Sam and Max. Complete Lucasarts games are hard to come by in the wild.

all of those LD's are pure gold!!!

The one thing that aggravated me today was this vendor at the Golden Goose who wanted to offer me four super common NES titles in exchange for two Genesis consoles and half a dozen Genesis and PS1 controllers. I know my stuff wasn't worth a whole bunch, but I'm not giving a vendor something for nothing. He was charging $10 for NES commons. I told him Id trade the consoles for both stacks of NES games, then he and his lady friend both pretended he thought I wanted to trade for just the two games on top. I offered to sell the whole lot to him for $30, expecting him to haggle down to $20. His girl actually did tell him to trade for both stacks of NES commons (about 20 games), but he got this surprised look on his face when I grabbed the first one. I told him the deal was for all of the NES carts on the table or $30. He offered me $20 and couldn't get his wallet out fast enough.

The Genesis consoles and controllers were pretty dusty and I don't know if any of that stuff worked. I earned $20 and saved myself the trouble of testing all of it. I had all three 2600 consoles with me, but I decided not to offer him anything else. I walked 30 feet away to a different booth and purchased a single NES game there instead.

I can't stand cheap flea market vendors who think my trade ins are crap and their stuff is gold. This ain't Vintage Stock, so don't expect me to take 10 cents per game and $1 per controller when I know full well what they're worth.

Sorry, I plan on keeping them. I've been wanting some classic computers for a while and I just found them. If you want I could go back to the flea market tomorrow and see if the two people with computers are there again. The person I bought the Commodore from had another boxed one as well, but I don't think it had a power source, and the guy I bought the Atari from also had an Apple ][, a Vic-20, and a Tandy (if memory serves correctly). I'm not sure if his computers had all the hookups.

I mainly just want an ST again. Thanks all the same :)

Had a GREAT day at Goodwill (stopped on a whim just going to pick up some stewed tomatoes to flesh out some chilli I had cooking).

There was a storage shelf with 59 Atari 2600 games in it. I picked out all the combats and two baseballs and got the rest with display rack shelf (wood) for $30.

Also found a few other goodies, like a Logitech wireless adapter for PS2 (great because I had some spare controllers that needed it) for 49 cents. A few awesome rope lights for $3 each (for the AX-cade). It was better than most half price days. I was really on a natural high from that 2600 score. :)

• Like 2

Had a GREAT day at Goodwill (stopped on a whim just going to pick up some stewed tomatoes to flesh out some chilli I had cooking).

There was a storage shelf with 59 Atari 2600 games in it. I picked out all the combats and two baseballs and got the rest with display rack shelf (wood) for $30.

Also found a few other goodies, like a Logitech wireless adapter for PS2 (great because I had some spare controllers that needed it) for 49 cents. A few awesome rope lights for $3 each (for the AX-cade). It was better than most half price days. I was really on a natural high from that 2600 score. :)

Good things happen to those who make chili :thumbsup:

I just found out that the 2600 Woody I paid $10 for has an A/V mod! It needs some adjustment, I think. The screen rolls when I try to load Omega Race. Changing the V Hold on my monitor does no good. The mod is on a DIY perfboard.

Sadly the unit didn't come with a power supply, and the power supply I got with the light sixer at that same sale is dead.

The local Goodwill actually had some Atari cartridges this weekend, so they're still out there. Sadly, at $4 a pop, none of them were worth it, though I might have picked up RealSports Boxing and Super Baseball might have been picked up if I didn't have them already. Surprisingly there wasn't a Combat in the bunch, though of course there was an E.T.

I grabbed an Xbox deck with power for $5.99 (untested yet) and a wavebird without the receiver for $1.99 on Thursday.

The Xbox (original) was doing the full red ring. Upon opening it up it was a 10GB launch model from 2001 (I thought that was kinda cool) The controller finger board was disconnected from the main board. The ribbon cable for the hard drive was severed. FREE game was in the drive, Oddworld Munch! :D Upon putting a new cable in, I copied a CD to the HDD and that worked fine, played Panzer Dragoon fine, Oddworld fine, but it skipped on Blinx 2. :? I'm wondering if the pot needs adjusting or if it's something else. When playing music Y will not open the visualization to full screen... (and Y is working fine within games...) Anyone know about bios upgrades on Launch original X-box that would cause something like skipping on later titles or the visualization not opening?

The local Goodwill actually had some Atari cartridges this weekend, so they're still out there. Sadly, at $4 a pop, none of them were worth it, though I might have picked up RealSports Boxing and Super Baseball might have been picked up if I didn't have them already. Surprisingly there wasn't a Combat in the bunch, though of course there was an E.T.

It seems like loose commons are viewed as gold these days. I'd have paid $4 for red label carts I didn't already have even though it's a tad steep. I'd hate to see what they'd sell boxed games for, or to see them just throw the boxes away. There are some places that purposely throw boxes and instructions away for cartridge games.

Found a nice lot at my local flea market this weekend for $10:

dsc05141w.jpg

I still have to clean the games, but everything else cleaned up nicely. Unfortunatly, most of the controllers are hit and miss due to fire damage? The 9 pin connectors are all melted, and even the commodore tape deck plug is melted. I didn't realize when I bought it due to being a jumbled knot of wires in a box. The games are the best find though - 34 Intellivision games, mostly common, but a handfull of good ones. Unfortunatly, I don't have an intelevision for testing. Some of this will be available fo trade in the near future for those interested.

Found a nice lot at my local flea market this weekend for $10:

The games are the best find though - 34 Intellivision games, mostly common, but a handfull of good ones. Unfortunatly, I don't have an intelevision for testing. Some of this will be available fo trade in the near future for those interested.

Very nice find. I might be interested in the INtv voice module(I have a gen 1 Inty) and maybe a few of the games to wrap up my collection.