IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Apparently l started a firestorm with my misuse of the word Shooter... I am sincerely sorry my transgression.

I bought some more FPShooters...

Ghost Recon - Xbox

Blood Wake - Xbox

Front Mission: Evolved - Xbox 360

For the record... For me: any game that one SHOOTS is a shooter... Shmup, FPS, Third Person...

I'm not sure that I care about the technicalities...

Its ok doomwaves; but on a gamer forum you have to speak the language of the people. Also, you have to admit there is a huge difference between Gyruss and Halo. Lumping them together is ok when talking to your mother who calls every game system a funtendo, but enthusiasts use more specific language to have a better discussion. Otherwise, Mario and Mortal Kombat would be the same genre because both jump and throw fireballs.

Now repent sinner!!!! :) 😆 lolz. Nuts. My ipad smilies still come up jibberish.

Edited by gorfcadet

I think it is totally ignorant to say, that A First Person Shooter, cannot also be called, simply a Shooter. It doesn't make any sense.. Its like saying ground beef steak & a burger aren't the same thing. Presentation is at a different angle, perspective, or vantage.. What about games like Star Voyager, or Solaris? Space ships, flying around shooting... But from a first person perspective.. Now. Which is it? FPS, or Shooter?

Its like saying ground beef steak & a burger aren't the same thing.

I think it's more akin to disagreeing with the belief that a beef pot pie and a hamburger are the same because they share a common ingredient. It's like saying, sure, shooters and FPS have the common element of shooting in them, but they should be labeled differently, just as a beef pie and a hamburger should be labeled differently even though they share a common element.

In the end, though, I personally don't even care. You can go on calling them shooters and I won't think anything of it. I'm not big on crucifying people for not using the common lingo because in the end it doesn't matter and I think it's refreshing having people with opposing views. If you think anything with shooting in it can be called a 'shooter', power to you. Don't change for other people.

I think it is totally ignorant to say, that A First Person Shooter, cannot also be called, simply a Shooter. It doesn't make any sense.. Its like saying ground beef steak & a burger aren't the same thing. Presentation is at a different angle, perspective, or vantage.. What about games like Star Voyager, or Solaris? Space ships, flying around shooting... But from a first person perspective.. Now. Which is it? FPS, or Shooter?

For what it's worth, I was just teasing. It's all the same to me. :grin:

I don't have any NES at all at the moment because I don't like how the console looks, but I've been looking into getting a Famicom because I like the colour scheme.

I'm more of a console guy than I am a game guy.

What does that even mean? You deny yourself the ability to play NES games because you don't like the physical appearance of the console? So you're gonna go through the headache of collecting imported famicom games because the system looks nicer? I don't even know what to say without sounding horribly insulting except that I don't understand why you chose classic gaming as a hobby.

Chris

• Like 1

What does that even mean? You deny yourself the ability to play NES games because you don't like the physical appearance of the console? So you're gonna go through the headache of collecting imported famicom games because the system looks nicer? I don't even know what to say without sounding horribly insulting except that I don't understand why you chose classic gaming as a hobby.

Chris

I can understand that it doesn't make much sense, so let me attempt to explain my thought process. It's not that I go out of my way not to buy or play the NES, because I would buy one if I found it in the wild at a good price. However, if I want to play NES games I figure I will get an adapter to play them on the Famicom because not only is the Famicom more visually pleasing to me, it is less prone to failure as the front-loading NES is and has the added benefit of having peripherals that were released only in Japan.

As a reply to your last question, I don't consider classic gaming to be my hobby. My hobby is finding, collecting, and using old technologies and is not exclusive to video games. I am interested in audio and video technology and video games just happen to be a very interesting part of audio/video technology history.

It may seem like a dick move for me to be collecting systems when there are ardent gamers out there that would get a lot of use out of the systems, and that's one reason I don't buy consoles unless I know it will be used by either me or my friends. Nearly every console I've bought I have gotten from the flea market where I know the people selling them don't appreciate them or even know what they are and are just trying to flip a dollar; if someone doesn't buy the console they'll literally toss it in a bin with whatever else they're trying to sell and manhandle it back into their truck. I consider me having them to be much better than those people having them.

I don't play very many games, but the Famicom is one of the only systems that I feel I would actually go out of my way to purchase because I actually do want to use it for playing games. I hope this all makes sense.

For what it's worth, I was just teasing. It's all the same to me. :grin:

No sweat. I'm just carrying on the conversation. I'm gonna start referring to all of them as shmups.. :-D

On a lighter note..

Went shopping around today & found some more goodness..

A store called "The Pack Rat" (could not have been named better) Nasty, dusty grimy furniture & console televisions WAY over priced... But they have quite the selection of DVDs & games that move a bit faster (so they don't have time to get grimy). She prices ALL Xbox & Xbox 360 games at $5 each, no matter the title or console. & All ps2 games at $7.

Picked up:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon - ps2

Assassins Creed - Xbox 360

Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360

Edited by doomwaves

I can understand that it doesn't make much sense, so let me attempt to explain my thought process. It's not that I go out of my way not to buy or play the NES, because I would buy one if I found it in the wild at a good price. However, if I want to play NES games I figure I will get an adapter to play them on the Famicom because not only is the Famicom more visually pleasing to me, it is less prone to failure as the front-loading NES is and has the added benefit of having peripherals that were released only in Japan.

As a reply to your last question, I don't consider classic gaming to be my hobby. My hobby is finding, collecting, and using old technologies and is not exclusive to video games. I am interested in audio and video technology and video games just happen to be a very interesting part of audio/video technology history.

It may seem like a dick move for me to be collecting systems when there are ardent gamers out there that would get a lot of use out of the systems, and that's one reason I don't buy consoles unless I know it will be used by either me or my friends. Nearly every console I've bought I have gotten from the flea market where I know the people selling them don't appreciate them or even know what they are and are just trying to flip a dollar; if someone doesn't buy the console they'll literally toss it in a bin with whatever else they're trying to sell and manhandle it back into their truck. I consider me having them to be much better than those people having them.

I don't play very many games, but the Famicom is one of the only systems that I feel I would actually go out of my way to purchase because I actually do want to use it for playing games. I hope this all makes sense.

Fair enough. I don't think it's a dick move for you to collect systems that maybe don't get played. There are plenty enough out there for everyone. Your initial post made it sound like you were intentionally avoiding an NES just because you didn't find it visually appealing. I can totally understand waiting until you find a good deal. Speaking of which (as a reply to the thread topic, not you directly)...

I got a NES with 2 controllers and a zapper at a thrift las week for $10. The system was extremely dirty, wrapped in packing tape, and needed to be rescued. I completely disassembled the system, cleaned the shell with soap & water (and removed all of the tape residue with Goo-Gone) and removed a couple of marks with rubbing compound, cleaned the game connector contacts with polishing cloth and treated them with DeOxit contact enhancer, cleaned the motherboard, cleaned the power and reset switches, cleaned the controller ports, disabled the 10NES lockout chip, and reassembled. Took the controllers apart and cleaned the shells with soap & water, cleaned the contacts on the PCBs, cleaned the conductive rubber button pads, cleaned the cords, and reassembled. System looks like a million bucks and works like new. Better, really, since the lockout is now disabled. Since I already have an untouched NES, an RGB-modded NES, and a top-loader, making this one totally superfluous, I think I am going to try out the fake stereo sound mod on it. Feels good to have taken a virtually left-for-dead system and gotten it back to its former glory, though.

I also found a Sega-branded Game Gear AC adapter for a couple of dollars. Since I'm half-assedly planning to build a consolized Game Gear at some point, the AC adapter will come in handy.

Chris

For the record I was actually kidding when I said it (the shooter thing with the " :mad: " and I did mean " :P " ) I've done loads of personal deals with doom-boy and online ribbing even if based on real pet peeves aimed at ones buds can sometimes be blown up in error. Sorry dude, I didn't mean to start a flame war :)

lol

Naw, its really no big deal.. All in good fun..

• Like 1

For the record I was actually kidding when I said it (the shooter thing with the " :mad: " and I did mean " :P " ) I've done loads of personal deals with doom-boy and online ribbing even if based on real pet peeves aimed at ones buds can sometimes be blown up in error. Sorry dude, I didn't mean to start a flame war :)

LOL yeah I think everyone is just having a laugh over something that may have peeved more than one of us at one point. :P
  • Like 1