IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sally and Goodwill both used to be great before eBay, now its rough. Since the economy tanked i've noticed they are a lot more popular to boot. Like golden.ax said middle of the week tends to work best. Weekends are nutso because it's so packed out (and picked over) its almost always a waste of time.

I used to travel all around my area for work and would hit 3-4 thrifts a week during lunch at various locations in a 75 mile radius. Salvation Armies are almost always a write-off. Great for furniture but awful for electronics/games/etc. If there was one close to a Goodwill i'd stop in but best case scenario was usually a music CD for $2. There were a few "mega-salvation armies" that were slightly better due to their sheer size, but even those.. eh.

Mom and Pop thrifts.. eh.. The for profit ones will look anything old up on eBay.. the off brand charity ones are about as good as the salvation armies.. ie not so good.

Goodwill remains the king but yeah.. crazy picked over. The best deal was when a new one opened up as you'd have a few months of above average finds until it got on the 'network'. I suspect people troll them for stuff to flip these days.. strike that I know people do as i've seen people scanning UPCs with a smartphone to check re-sale pricing on things.

Still fun to go but its a lot of effort these days.

Oh and none of the thrifts around here ever have sales like you guys. Some of the salvation armies will have a 'ticket of the day' with items that match 50% off but since they normally have nothing half off doesn't help. The goodwills never mark anything down.. the one nearest to me just started pricing PS2 games at $10.06.

Sumguy I suspect may have been doing that the other day at our local Goodwill. Ours almost never has anything, but he had a haul of stuff on him (N64+games... another console with games). He was standing over the area where the games were and kept messing with his cell phone, taking certain things and leaving crap. I am not exactly sure what all he had in the end.

I do both. Sometimes you don't know if you have a copy of Nocturne for PS2, or if yours has one or two discs, or if $17 is a fair price. If I found out it was worth $34, and I had one I'd still buy it. As it turned out in the Nocturne case, A) I did have one (two disc) the one for sale was single disc, and B) the price was the same as Amazon single disc, so not good to sell.

AX [always workin' the angles]

P.S. Half price day got snowed out here. Most of the GW stores didn't even open. Gotta love an inch of snow in Middle Southern TN.

I'm the same way. If I see something that underpriced, I'm gonna grab it even if I have one already. That $2 Alien Brigade went into my collection to replace one with repro labels. The one I had sold for $30 and I made it very clear in the auction that the labels were not original.

I'm not the only collector around here who will do that. Another one considered it on a Worms: Armageddon box that was priced at $2. I purchased the box the very next day. I don't already have one, so I might not list it at all.

It's kinda like seeing $20 lying on the ground with absolutely no indication who it belongs to.

I found a really interesting knockoff console at my local Savers for five dollars last night. I haven't been able to find any info about it on the internet yet, but I have been able to figure out a few things:

PAL

'1,200,000 in 1'

Two 9-pin controller ports and one 15-pin controller port

Has a cartridge slot which fits Famicom carts

It's really cheap and looks to be held together mostly with hot glue. I have to run it through my Aiwa Worldwide VCR to convert the signal to NTSC, but it appears to be working just fine. I'll be checking it out a bit more over the next couple weeks.

Super MagicStar 2005 1/6

Super MagicStar 2005 2/6

Super MagicStar 2005 3/6

Super MagicStar 2005 4/6

Super MagicStar 2005 5/6

Super MagicStar 2005 6/6

• Like 4

I'm the same way. If I see something that underpriced, I'm gonna grab it even if I have one already. That $2 Alien Brigade went into my collection to replace one with repro labels. The one I had sold for $30 and I made it very clear in the auction that the labels were not original.

I'm not the only collector around here who will do that. Another one considered it on a Worms: Armageddon box that was priced at $2. I purchased the box the very next day. I don't already have one, so I might not list it at all.

It's kinda like seeing $20 lying on the ground with absolutely no indication who it belongs to.

I guess I generally don't do this if I already have a copy... but then again, I am buying to play, and don't sell to often. Exception would be if the repeat item is in much better shape than the one I have...

• Like 1

I guess I generally don't do this if I already have a copy... but then again, I am buying to play, and don't sell to often. Exception would be if the repeat item is in much better shape than the one I have...

Oh, definitely. I think most collectors would upgrade to a better condition copy if the price was right. Do that often enough, though, and you come up with a pile of duplicates.

Oh, definitely. I think most collectors would upgrade to a better condition copy if the price was right. Do that often enough, though, and you come up with a pile of duplicates.

I've done this a few times, both with games and systems (NES, Game Gear, even my Atari 2600).

Gilbert, where are you getting these items from? The compumate keyboard? That looks impossible to find on eBay even!

Just as I said in the post. The Compumate was just found during a random search for Atari, had it on my watch list for days. I finally bid about an hour before it ended and was the only person to do so, so I got lucky!

Feeling like I'm getting back in the groove a bit. This weekend turned up a few nice finds.

Flea Market: GameCube power supply - $.50 (needed one to bundle with an extra Cube to sell)

Goodwill - Dreamcast Rippin' Riders - $1.99, NES Super Mario Brothers 3 - $1.99, Master System After Burner (100% complete, and very minty) - $.99

Generic Thrift store - Phillips CD-I gamepad (the one that looks most like a Sega three button) - $.99! I searched high and low for anything else for the system and came up with nothing. These things are super rare too! So weird to find random stuff like this. Glad I knew what it was though, they sell for like $40-70 just for the pad.

Generic Thrift store - Phillips CD-I gamepad (the one that looks most like a Sega three button) - $.99! I searched high and low for anything else for the system and came up with nothing. These things are super rare too! So weird to find random stuff like this. Glad I knew what it was though, they sell for like $40-70 just for the pad.

Nice find, got a few of those, here in the Netherlands they are more common. The Snes like controller is the one harder to find here.

Do you own a CD-i? I have a few spare games for trade. The CD-i is region free, only a few games won't work. Let me know if you're interested.

Nice find, got a few of those, here in the Netherlands they are more common. The Snes like controller is the one harder to find here.

Do you own a CD-i? I have a few spare games for trade. The CD-i is region free, only a few games won't work. Let me know if you're interested.

Nah , I had one a while back, but traded it off.

Once again, back to the Pack Rat, where all Xbox & Xbox 360 are blanket priced at $5.

Soul Calibur II - Xbox

Batman Arkham Asylum - Xbox 360

Ninja Gaiden II - Xbox 360

Army of Two - Xbox 360

Returned Army of Two, because the disc wouldn't read.. Didn't look scratched at all, but I didn't feel like messing with it...

CIMG4236_zps78f4ac72.jpg

This was all in a plastic bag at Salvation Army for $49.99.

CIMG4231_zps76861c3e.jpg

CIMG4234_zps45d0d17c.jpg

This was $4.99 at the same Salvation.

Your Salvation Army is obviously much better than mine! Stopped there on and off for the past year and I've never found anything remotely close to that score.

Nice pickup!

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 1

Got a platinum/onyx GBA SP 001 and a Super Nintendo for $10 at a flea market last week.The GBA SP has the usual lots of scratches on the bottom and more than a few on the top but the screen is in perfect condition(haven't found a scratch on the screen yet!).The SNES i can't test because i couldn't find the power cord mixed with the other controllers and cords when i got it but for the price i can't complain.Also got Romance of the three kingdoms VIII for $2(no instructions).Here's a crazy story for ya.While at the flea market ,i saw the seller with the SNES(didn't see it yet) and after i saw Romance i went over and was rumbling threw the various cords he had and 3 people came over and picked up romance and under it was .Hack.

They were debating whether to get get it or not and i was going to immediately buy it(they are really expensive online) but they got it in the end.He asked for $2 but they got it for $1.People who can't pay $2 for a rare PS2 game.What am i talking about I've done it too

Edited by xDragonWarrior

People who can't pay $2 for a rare PS2 game.What am i talking about I've done it too

It's hard to stop myself sometimes ... I already know I'm getting it at a good price, however, instincts of getting a deal kick in. Although, it has cost me before. Once, I found someone selling a bunch of Magic the Gathering Cards for $75 at a yard sale. One card alone was worth $50 and there were several others worth enough that I'd make a nice profit. Of course, I asked if she would take $60 (reasonable, right?). Well, she proceeded to call her husband to check who went ballistic that she was about to sell them all for $75 in the first place. She withdrew the item from the yard sale ... UGH! Being cheap can sometimes backfire :dunce:.

Edited by Fushek
  • Like 1

It's hard to stop myself sometimes ... I already know I'm getting it at a good price, however, instincts of getting a deal kick in. Although, it has cost me before. Once, I found someone selling a bunch of Magic the Gathering Cards for $75 at a yard sale. One card alone was worth $50 and there were several others worth enough that I'd make a nice profit. Of course, I asked if she would take $60 (reasonable, right?). Well, she proceeded to call her husband to check who went ballistic that she was about to sell them all for $75 in the first place. She withdrew the item from the yard sale ... UGH! Being cheap can sometimes backfire :dunce:.

I'm still pissed about a GBC I bought 12 years ago for $10 with 4 games. The deal was DONE, money exchanged (yard sale) I asked if they had any other games they want to sell. The mother comes out of the house and flips out (I paid the Dad in his late 40's) She said they paid $100 for that, it isn't for sale, and demanded I give the system and games back. They refunded me. If I'd have been alone I'd have walked off. It was a done deal. My friend was along with me (he was driving) and was embarrassed and I was getting a three-way tag team of pressure to UNDO the deal. I know, great buddy. Sorry but possession is 9/10 of the law. The deal was over with. *sigh* see, still mad. Oh well, lousy green GBC.

AX

• Like 2