IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

hmm, exactly which goodwill was the one that was visited? the one near flour bluff, the one off leopard street or the one downtown?

there was this new thrift near where a old flea market used to be on ayers (you'll know the street for it has power lines and a substation on it, and intersects the crosstown highway) that didnt' have games, but i'm pretty sure it has stuffed animals and maybe now, halloween costumes.

i'd go more for the stuffed animals in thrifting.. but if i do find video games i'll be sure to let the community know (btw , the brownsville , texas goodwill off 77, that recently opened this year.. and would be worth attending if you ever get as far south as i live.. doesn't have any old school video games... but i think you might find some in this thrift store downtown i get a lot of stuffed animals and dolls at, heh heh).

Do you have some favorite method for cleaning up stuffed animals you've found? I would want to make sure to de-germ them as much as possible since they were likely dragged all over hell's half acre and generously sneezed upon. :)

Over my Dallas wekend, I neglected to mention that I found a Pac-Man puppet at a collectibles store. It's in nice shape, and was only $12. It would be great if there's soem magix spray that I coudl use to get him cleaned up a bit. Perhaps Febreeze or Lysol is best?

My version of the Pac-Man character is on the depressed side - bummed out puppets are way more interesting than happy ones! :)

Do you have some favorite method for cleaning up stuffed animals you've found?  I would want to make sure to de-germ them as much as possible since they were likely dragged all over hell's half acre and generously sneezed upon.  :)

Over my Dallas wekend, I neglected to mention that I found a Pac-Man puppet at a collectibles store.  It's in nice shape, and was only $12.   It would be great if there's soem magix spray that I coudl use to get him cleaned up a bit.  Perhaps Febreeze or Lysol is best?

My version of the Pac-Man character is on the depressed side - bummed out puppets are way more interesting than happy ones!  :)

my favorite method is to put them in the washer then the dryer if they get dirty. and some of the filthier ones probably deserve to be hosed down with lysol.

interesting you go to dallas. i had plans there to go for a couple of days to do some thrifting at salvation armies and the like..

Hey, stay away from Dallas! Or at least Arlington and Irving! There's so little to find around here, I don't need you guys snatching what few good things end up in thrifts around me!

hmmm, can't help staying away from dallas, myself... i've been there once a year at least since 1999, was there in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004... and i surely will try to go there next year if possible.

have you tried fort worth , btw? i don't think there's been many finds at the goodwill in the southwest part of town for me the few times i've been there (once in the rain) gamewise.. perhaps you might find some things in fort worth gamewise.. .especially at a flea market on the northside of fort worth, i've heard of but never went to, that might be worth the drive.

and if nothing else, travel to san antonio and austin on the weekends.. they have great flea markets in both sa and austin to check out. houston has some good flea markets in the northwest, too.

as for south texas? that's mostly been my thrifting territory, you want to come as far south as brownsville and harlingen and mcallen to find stuff (especially across the border in reynosa and matamoros), go for it. i don't think a lot of thrifters go that far...or you'll find much old school game related, but at least it's one place you might not always think you'd find something...but you never know for sure.

I've never gone thrifting in Fort Worth. I usually stick to Irving and Arlington. And I try to stay away from Goodwill stores and Salvation Army. They almost never have anything I want. I stick to independent thrifts. There's a bunch of little hole-in-the-wall thrift stores around Irving and Arlington.

I got to scan my new fine week on Monday I found 5 NES carts and one NES cleaner kit all for $12 :D The games are,

Hogan's Alley.

Pro Wrestling.

The Legend of Zelda.

Final Fantasy.

Star Wars.

and the NES Cleaning Kit.

All he games are in there plastc bags, booklets and more plus I also found The Official Nintendo Player's Guide book with over 90 games in the book and a complet stickers set still in the book bran new for $3! How cool is that! Not bad for $15 bucks of stuff huh?

post-5587-1096446769_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1096446770_thumb.jpg

Guess I shouldn't have complained about my local Value Village so soon. Went in this evening and picked up -

NES Max controller - $1.49

Quickshot 2 Player NES Joystick - $2.99

NES Adventures of Bayou Billy - $2.99

Nintendo R/F box for NES - 99c

Sub Assault handheld game (modern, but couldn't pass it up) - $1.99

Best find of all though, was a boxed, complete and absolutely mint copy of SNES Super Mario Kart. It was $6.99 but it looks like it's only been opened once or twice - perfect condition.

Not a bad evening's work.

All he games are in there plastc bags, booklets and more plus I also found The Official Nintendo Player's Guide book with over 90 games in the book and a complet stickers set still in the book bran new for $3! How cool is that! Not bad for $15 bucks of stuff huh?

Oh I absolutely hate you. ;)

Seriously though, been looking for that player's guide for quite a while with the stickers intact. Please shoot me a PM if you are willing to part with it.

Oh I absolutely hate you. ;)

Seriously though, been looking for that player's guide for quite a while with the stickers intact. Please shoot me a PM if you are willing to part with it.

Im jsut quoting to brag, I got this players guide also with all the stickers in tact for about a buck.

Did a little thrifting today. Found some decent stuff.

NES Games:

Ghost Lion

Felix the Cat

Back to the Future II & III

Heavy Barrel

Rescue: The Embassy Mission

Quattro Arcade

Cobra Triangle

Super Off Road

Life Force

Game Gear games:

Ax Battler - A Legend of Golden Axe

Madden 95

Leaderboard Golf

Columns

Gameboy games:

Alleyway

The Castlevania Adventure

Sega Master System game:

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Philips CD-i games:

Mystic Midway - Rest In Pieces

The Dark Fables of Aesop

Escape from CyberCity

A couple of things I also managed to find in assorted shops were a Starmaster NES joystick, an EPYX 500XJ Atari compatible joystick, and the best find of the day, an Atari Lynx in the satchel case with copies of Hard Drivin', Batman Returns, STUN Runner, and California Games, along with a universal car adaptor, all for $12.51. It doesn't have a battery door, it's power socket is bad, and the AC adapter that came with it has a broken off tip. But still, not bad for twelve and a half bucks. It'll be good enough to give to a co-worker that i'm trying to get into the classic gaming scene.

I went to a local thrift store a few days ago and while they had "ebay-priced" Atari games which I passed on (example FAST FOOD cart only $4.95), I did pick up four NES sports games complete in their box for $2.95 each. Two of them are black box games and those look neat whether they are sports titles or not. I was impressed with the condition, also got a Super Mario 64 guide for $2.95.

Dude at the counter had a very nice complete in box Tengen Pac-Man NES game sitting there and I asked about it. He said that he just didn't put it out yet so I asked how much (with four $2.95 titles in my hand) and he said just a minute. I stood there while he looked it up on eBay and then told me something like $13.95. :roll:

It's gettin' rough out there.

I went to a local thrift store a few days ago and while they had "ebay-priced" Atari games which I passed on (example FAST FOOD cart only $4.95), I did pick up four NES sports games complete in their box for $2.95 each.  Two of them are black box games and those look neat whether they are sports titles or not.  I was impressed with the condition, also got a Super Mario 64 guide for $2.95.

Dude at the counter had a very nice complete in box Tengen Pac-Man NES game sitting there and I asked about it.  He said that he just didn't put it out yet so I asked how much (with four $2.95 titles in my hand) and he said just a minute.  I stood there while he looked it up on eBay and then told me something like $13.95.   :roll:  

It's gettin' rough out there.

Was that before the shipping and handling charge from the shelf to your hand ? :D

I usually post this over on DP, but my computer is being slow & stupid & wont take me there. So:

Among the VHS tapes at Goodwill (& other locations around the store) I found PGA Tour Golf II (GEN, $4). Why cant someone organize/sort these?

Anyway, the game has 6 courses, including TPC at Sawgrass, where the 17th green is a frickin' ISLAND!!!

GameStop: Colony Wars (PS, exc cond $5)

Large laptop bag with compartment big enough for 17" Powerbook: 5 bucks

Newton 2x00 serial port adapter dongle, $3

Yamaha MRX-100 10-system learning remote (with 40 function keys that change to two sets of functions with a flip card, plus another half dozen function keys), $3 Apparently this model has a rather good reputation. (And damn those HDTV tuners and their new code sets which aren't on most (any?) One-For-All remotes)

Barney's Hide & Seek for Genesis, $5 (complete, and with instructions in very good condition) Yeah, I know, B'harne the evil one and all that, but it's a 4, and was just rare enough to make it onto DP's short list from Manci Games issue 2.