IGNORED

What GameCube game(s) would you buy?

MegaManFan

I got a small stack of gift cards for Christmas that are loaded with pre-set amounts of store credit (just swipe and use) and I'm thinking about upgrading my GC library. Here's what I already have so far:

* Legends of Wrestling

* Pikmin

* Smugglers Run Warzones

* Sonic Collection

* Super Mario Sunshine

* Super Monkey Ball

Right now I'm leaning towards Metroid Prime, since I've read so many rave reviews of it and I'm excited about using Fusion to unlock the classic Metroid hidden in it - although that would require me to buy a link cable for my GBA as well. I've already ruled out Animal Crossing; not because I think it sucks but because I suspect it's TOO immersive and I wouldn't be able to tear myself away and stick to my daily work schedule. Other than that, the field is wide open. Zelda doesn't come out until first quarter 2003, so between now and then I need some good stuff to keep me busy! Suggestions gladly accepted. :D

It's not on your list... but a friend of mine picked up ESPN Winter Sports 2002 for about $20, and we had a blast with it... There's a bunch of different events including some oddities like curling, figure skating, and bobsled. Stupid as it sounds, we ended up playing figure skating until 5 in the morning trying to get a gold medal!

I wouldn't pay full price for it, since the game probably gets old pretty fast, but if you can find it used or on the discount rack, it's great for some unusual two-player action.

--Zero

Luigi's Mansion - The Main knock on it is that it's too short. But it should be pretty cheap now, so is well worth the cost.

Legends of Wrestling II - IF you liked Legends of Wrestling. Basically the same game, but more wrestlers, like Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant and Andy Kaufman!

Resident Evil - I'd also recommend Resident Evil 0, but I haven't played it so can't speak to its quality. RE, on the other hand, is absolutely amazing.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron 2 - Hard to believe this is a first generation title. Absolutely stunning.

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters - Melee! - 1) It's Godzilla 2) It's A Fighting Game 3) It's Atari

Super Smash Bros. - Melee Whether it's the fun of smacking around Nintendo mascots, collecting the trophies or unlocking characters, this game is chock full

Metroid Prime - This FPA (First Person Adventure) is the real deal. Totally immersive and beautiful, it's the thinking man's first person game.

Spider-Man - Nice graphics and smooth gameplay, plus instructional guide voiced by Bruce Campbell!

Bloody Roar - More traditional 3D fighter, it's priced a bit lower than G:DAM-M or SSBM. Well worth it to hold you over until SoulCalibur 2 comes out.

Starfox Adventures - Did you like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Well, yank out Link, drop in Fox McCloud and move the action to outer space and there you go. Rare's last work under Nintendo's wing may be their best. Plus, this may be able to hold you until The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes out.

Whatever it was it's no more strange than the other things happening around this cemetery.

Luigi's Mansion - The Main knock on it is that it's too short.  But it should be pretty cheap now, so is well worth the cost.

How short is too short? Would I finish it in under 10 hours?

Legends of Wrestling II - IF you liked Legends of Wrestling.  Basically the same game, but more wrestlers, like Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant and Andy Kaufman!

I like the sound of that, but I got the first volume for under $30 so I'm slightly hesitant to pay more than $10 more for the second.

Resident Evil - I'd also recommend Resident Evil 0, but I haven't played it so can't speak to its quality.  RE, on the other hand, is absolutely amazing.

Isn't it just a remake of the same game for N64 though?

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters - Melee! - 1) It's Godzilla  2) It's A Fighting Game  3) It's Atari

I forgot to mention I played a rental copy of this, and it's WICKED fun; but again it's something I would hope to find on sale first.

Super Smash Bros. - Melee Whether it's the fun of smacking around Nintendo mascots, collecting the trophies or unlocking characters, this game is chock full

I heard good things about this one from Bivotar, so it's definitely on my consideration list. I still haven't beaten the first one though. :(

Metroid Prime - This FPA (First Person Adventure) is the real deal.  Totally immersive and beautiful, it's the thinking man's first person game.

Sold! :D

Spider-Man - Nice graphics and smooth gameplay, plus instructional guide voiced by Bruce Campbell!

Sounds promising. :)

Bloody Roar - More traditional 3D fighter, it's priced a bit lower than G:DAM-M or SSBM.  Well worth it to hold you over until SoulCalibur 2 comes out.

Is this a sequel to Primal Fury?

Starfox Adventures - Did you like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?  Well, yank out Link, drop in Fox McCloud and move the action to outer space and there you go.  Rare's last work under Nintendo's wing may be their best.  Plus, this may be able to hold you until The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes out.

Another one I heard good things about from Bivotar. My only regret is not having a GameCube when this first came out, because I remember they were giving out a free gift pack with a bunch of cool stuff, including some StarFox Adventure juice (looked like lime soda) and a t-shirt. Ah well. :(

Thanks to you and to Ze_ro for all the good advice so far! :D

IGN says Luigi's Mansion takes about six to ten hours. I played it intermittently over the course of a few months, so I really didn't notice how short it was. But it is a fun game. It's just that most people expect more out of a title these days. Especially a launch title and especially for $50. Now that the price has come down (and used ones should be plenty) I think it's worth grabbing. Of course, keep in mind that my favorite video game of all time is still Adventure. And I can usually finish that (even on 3) in under six minutes. (How's that for lack of longevity?)

The Resident Evil situation is a bit confusing. The first title released for the GCN was Resident Evil. Although it tells the same story and follows roughly the same action as the original Resident Evil (found on PSX, Saturn and PC) it is completely new. It looks great, has new (better) voice acting and had bunches of new areas and puzzles. Some things are changed and some things happen in a different order. It's also much harder than the original. Resident Evil 0 is a prequel (naturally) to the other Resident Evil games. It was originally scheduled for the N64 (which only got Resident Evil 2) but was moved to GameCube. It has a lot of new features (such as being able to drop things anywhere (no boxes!) and the use of two characters simultaneously). Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil - Code: Veronica will be straight ports of the most recent versions (RE2&3 Dreamcast and RE-C:V PS2) and should be out this year. Resident Evil 4 which, like Code: Veronica, will be full 3-D (no pre-rendered backgrounds) is currently scheduled for 2004. All these are GameCube exclusives. There are no scheduled RE games for any other platform at least through the release of RE4.

Super Smash Bros. for the N64 was a good game. It broke new ground not only with the use of mascots, but also standing apart from the crowd with a new style of fighting. But "Melee" is so much more. At least three times (four times?) the number of characters, more gameplay modes, those crazy trophies, and all this with beautiful character models, smoother gameplay and just plain more of everything. Forget about finishing SSB. Upgrade now.

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury is the one I was speaking of.

Oh, yeah, one more. If you're of age and like the nekkid ladies, there's BMX XXX. It's not getting the greatest of reviews, but the GameCube version was not censored (like the PS2) and features in-game nudity out of the box (the XBOX requires you to unlock it). It also comes with a larger poster and a map that the other versions are lacking. An adult title and the Nintendo version is the most risque? Who would've thought it?

You promise you'll lock the doors immediately?

I'd at least consider getting Monkey Ball 2. It improves in the original in every multiplayer game: 8 monkeys for the monkey race, monkey target is up to 4 players at once, monkey fight has this cool feature where you can always charge up your fist to giant fist mode, which moves it away from the "whack whack whack" of the original. There is a cool new digfight, rafting, and pseudo-lightgun game as well.

Definately Smash Brothers Melee. Though I do feel your pain...what do you mean by beat the original? Couldn't even finish 1 player mode on easy with 5 lives? If so there's a bunch of stuff you won't unlock :-( (I've heard talk about a game shark for GC, but when are they gonna come out with a PC memory card reader/saver ?)

Do you like cartoony sports? If so, Blitz 20-02 might even be cheap now, that's fun cartoony football, and Sega Soccer Slam is another great fun game.

Time Splitters 2 is your best bet for First Person Shooters.

Other good games, but you'd already know if you'd want them, are Bomberman Generations (my main gaming buddy and his fiancee are addicted to coin battle) Mario Party 4 (though Super Monkey Ball 2 is probably a more solid bet) and Mario Sunshine (it's no Metroid Prime and doesn't really advance the series, but it's a good game.)

But don't hesitate with Metroid Prime.

IGN says Luigi's Mansion takes about six to ten hours.  I played it intermittently over the course of a few months, so I really didn't notice how short it was.  But it is a fun game.

I'd second this. I borrowed it from a cousin. I think it's gameplay and even its graphics are bit under-rated...it's not a bad game to show off the graphic capabilities of the system, in the early days it was probably even better than Rogue Squadron for that, since non-gamers could relate to the ghostbusters-esque graphics.

Oh, and really strongly recommend Rogue Squadron if you're a Star Wars fan in any way.

The Resident Evil situation is a bit confusing.

I'm mostly confused about why people like this series. ;-)

I find it poorly paced, frustrating, and with a horrendous control scheme that makes me feel like I'm steering a robot (or maybe a zombie?)

Oh, yeah, one more.  If you're of age and like the nekkid ladies, there's BMX XXX.  It's not getting the greatest of reviews, but the GameCube version was not censored

Feh. I've heard it's a suck game, with bad graphics. If there are gonna be boobies in videogames (which I have nothing against) I at least want enough polygons to keep me interested!

I've owned the GCN for over a month now and I'd recommend all 4 of the games I own. You already own Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball, so:

1. Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II also gets a strong recommendation IF you are a fan of the orginal SW trilogy. This game's presentation of the SW films & missions is a dream come true to me. It's difficult, too.

2. Metroid Prime: hard to believe anybody wouldn't like this one. I'm not a FPS fan, and this is NOT a FPS. I'm at about 25% so far and it's starting to get more difficult, and I have already seen so much! The game seems huge and is filled with platforming, shooting and adventuring. Polished to nice shine!

I´m interested in Metroid Prime, got Metroid Fusion on my GBA and I´m curious about the link-feature. ;)

A few weeks ago I bought SMS, a fine game.

Michael

Man, there is just too much S+M...err...SM in video games

SMS...is it Super Mario Sunshine, or are you an old schooler who just got a Sega Master System?

SMB...the classic Super Mario Brothers, or the multiplayer mayhem of Super Monkey Ball? (same for SMB2)

Not to mention that whole weirdness with GameCube = GCN since "NGC" might mean Neo Geo Color...

I´m interested in Metroid Prime, got Metroid Fusion on my GBA and I´m curious about the link-feature. ;)

A few weeks ago I bought SMS, a fine game.

Michael

Man, there is just too much S+M...err...SM in video games

SMS...is it Super Mario Sunshine, or are you an old schooler who just got a Sega Master System?

SMB...the classic Super Mario Brothers, or the multiplayer mayhem of Super Monkey Ball? (same for SMB2)

Not to mention that whole weirdness with GameCube = GCN since "NGC" might mean Neo Geo Color...

I meant Super Mario Sunshine. ;) According to the GameCube I thought it was clear. ;)

Just looking for Metroid for the NES, got it for SNES, GB and GBA. ;)

Greets

Michael

I meant Super Mario Sunshine. ;) According to the GameCube I thought it was clear. ;)

Just looking for Metroid for the NES, got it for SNES, GB and GBA. ;)

Oh, clear enough, in context...it just took me a minute 'cause my mind is muddled with all this old school stuff...years of Usenet r.g.v.c will do that to a guy.

S'funny, I just started playing original Metroid on my PC. (Still have the cart, so I figure emulation is ok) To do it up right, though, I really should try to dig up my old black-covered Player's Manual. Why, that detailed map probably made me into the gaming wuss I am today, GameFAQs is my friend....

Metroid Prime gets another vote from me. It really is an in-depth and cool adventure game. But don't go in thinking its an FPS, I know some people have made that mistake.

If you are looking for an FPS, you could do worse than 007 Nightfire, it's a solid game with a lot of variety in the levels and some driving levels thrown in too!

What is the deal with the acronym "GCN" anyways? I don't get it at all... why would anyone add the "N" in there? No one ever called the Dreamcast the "DCS" or the Playstation the "PSS"... Was "GC" taken already or something? There's no rule that acronyms have to be 3 letters...

--Zero

What is the deal with the acronym "GCN" anyways?

--Zero

Beats me, since I always call it GC or "The Cube" for short myself. :D

I saw this on IGN or something somewhere...basically, the merektroids wanted an N for Nintendo somewhere in the "official abbreviation" for the system, but NGC was already taken for Neo Geo Color, at least in some markets.

Star Fox Adventures was really a good game, IMO. Of course, I'm a big fan of Rare Ltd. games (really bummed to hear they will no longer be doing GC games :( ) While it looked great, and like someone pointed out, played like Zelda, it seemed a little short. Maybe I just didn't want it to end though! ;)

Super Smash Bros Melee was a surprise to me how much I liked it. I don't like and don't get "fighting games", but my wife picked this up for me and I have really enjoyed it! Unlocking a new character or getting a new trophy brings me much joy! I still play this regularly after getting it a year ago. And it looks damn pretty.

I picked up a couple used games cheap for Christmas. Pac-Man World 2 being one of them. I am quite pleased with this one so far. While the camera gets a little tweaky (it makes Super Mario Sunshine's camera look brilliant), I'm still having a lot of fun. The levels gradually get more involved and offer new elements of play. Plus you gather coins to unlock a few arcade games.

Rogue Leader is star wars fun. It's pretty tough to (at least to me), but the hidden extras are awesome. I mean, playing as darth vader to save the original death star from the rebels? Sign me up!

Smash Bros Melee owns the first one in every possible way. I don't ever want to go back to the original.

If you want a traditional 2d fighter, Capcom vs SNK 2 is out on that system. It's a decent enough game.

(it makes Super Mario Sunshine's camera look brilliant
The funny thing about Super Mario Sunshine's wonky camera is that on any other game it would be considered good (as in the case of Pac-Man World 2). I guess it's just the near perfection of the camera work on Super Mario 64 that makes people expect more from their Mario titles.

And if you were disappointed with Super Mario Sunshine you'll be happy to know that Miyamoto has announced Super Mario 128 and promised that it will have some of the innovation and creativity that SMS seemed to lack.

And here's another title to consider: Eternal Darkness - the atmosphere of a survival horror title, but better controls. An original storyline and beautiful gaphics. Underlooked, so the price has come down a bit. Well worth a gander.

We contacted government officials. They refuse over existence.

I picked up a couple used games cheap for Christmas.  Pac-Man World 2 being one of them.  I am quite pleased with this one so far.  While the camera gets a little tweaky (it makes Super Mario Sunshine's camera look brilliant), I'm still having a lot of fun.  The levels gradually get more involved and offer new elements of play.  Plus you gather coins to unlock a few arcade games.

How much did it cost you? I'm not about to pay $50 for it new but if it was cheap used I'd probably get it. I assume wherever you went locally though, they probably only had one copy. :D