IGNORED

What GameCube game(s) would you buy?

MegaManFan

Super Smash Bros Melee was a surprise to me how much I liked it.  I don't like and don't get "fighting games", but my wife picked this up for me and I have really enjoyed it!  Unlocking a new character or getting a new trophy brings me much joy!  I still play this regularly after getting it a year ago.  And it looks damn pretty.

Yes, melee is a great game for non-fighter fans...a wide variety of moves, but they're easy to execute, and the knock-off system is better than just pummeling the heck out of each other. (Powerstone 1 + 2 for DC is another good game along the same lines, item-heavy smash bros in 3D)

Smash Bros Melee owns the first one in every possible way. I don't ever want to go back to the original.

I've been playing mostly GC games for a while, and I'm surprised at how shoddy the polygon counts and framerates look on the N64 now, for msot games. I made my cousin laugh expressing a kind of sympathy for the poor little guy .... "ohhh...so many polygons to churn.....must....keep...rendering!" He tries so hard!

Too bad Melee didn't bring back all of the original boards...

And if you were disappointed with Super Mario Sunshine you'll be happy to know that Miyamoto has announced Super Mario 128 and promised that it will have some of the innovation and creativity that SMS seemed to lack.

I guess my issue was more that it felt...less Mario-ish than Mario 64. The island motif kind of overwhelmed the Mariokarma.

I picked up a couple used games cheap for Christmas. Pac-Man World 2 being one of them. I am quite pleased with this one so far. While the camera gets a little tweaky (it makes Super Mario Sunshine's camera look brilliant)' date=' I'm still having a lot of fun. The levels gradually get more involved and offer new elements of play. Plus you gather coins to unlock a few arcade games.[/quote']

How much did it cost you? I'm not about to pay $50 for it new but if it was cheap used I'd probably get it. I assume wherever you went locally though' date=' they probably only had one copy. :D[/quote']

I got it used at Block Buster (132nd Maple). It was only $20 plus it was buy two, get one free. I picked up two other $20 titles. So depending on how you look at it, it could be considered 'free'. :D

I'm a big fan of Block Buster used games. A good chunk of my N64 collection was built from them. It was awesome when they really started to weed out N64!

I got it used at Block Buster (132nd Maple).  It was only $20 plus it was buy two, get one free.  I picked up two other $20 titles.  So depending on how you look at it, it could be considered 'free'.   :D  

I'm a big fan of Block Buster used games.  A good chunk of my N64 collection was built from them.  It was awesome when they really started to weed out N64!  

I probably should have gone to that one. I hit 78th and Cass and they had spit, and the two for one sale seemed to be over to boot. And why is it the one N64 game I REALLY want (Kirby) is still a rental? I don't think they've ever sold it at any location and the second they do it will prolly be snapped up by some little kid who watches the cartoon show now. If only they could have sold it BEFORE Kirby! Right Back At Ya went on the air, darnit! :(

Based on the advice I was given here, I picked up Metroid Prime and Godzilla today; and my wife is going to pick up SSBMelee later. Sucks to spend that much money and only come home with two games, but at least I know they're two that I will spend a LONG time enjoying. :D Thanks everyone!

good luck to ya.

also, i dont think anybody mentioned jedi outcast. lots of fun there!

another also, having just 2 games isnt so bad. i bought my cube the day after christmas 2001, and only had smash bros. until resident evil came out. i racked about 200 hours onto it, but its still fun!