IGNORED

The PS 3 can play PS 1 games?

Show me anything, anywhere that refers to the PS2 as the PSX, official or unoffical. Not some Japanese Prototype, but the actual PS2 being referred to as the PSX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

Scroll down to "Hardware Revisions." The PSX model PS2 is at the bottom. It's not just a prototype. It was marketed and sold as a "elite" model. I almost bought one. Playasia used to have them available occasionally.

That doesn't change that Rex Dart is misinformed. The PS1 was sometimes referred to by the gaming media as the PSX back in the early days of it's original run.

The PS1 was sometimes referred to by the gaming media as the PSX back in the early days of it's original run.

Yup the only mag back then for the PS1 was called PSM an UNOFFICIAL magazine of Playstation gaming and it was a cool mag in those days (before the OPM garbage) and they used to call it PSX which at first drove me nuts cause I didnt know what they meant by that. I'll have to peek at some of those old issues cause I still have a few saved. I think they were the first playstation gaming mag. I know for sure IGN called it that too for the fun of it.

OPM came out later and then eventually swallowed up PSM.

PSM was a great magazine in the early years before the PS2.

Edited by cimerians

btw, it's PS1 or PS One. The PSX is a playstation 2. Many stupid people called the PS1 a PSX for some (or no) reason.

Old people who were there on release, bought it the first day, and subscribed to Sony's magazine = stupid people?

It was and is PSX from day one. New developments don't change history.

AX

Well, then surely one of them could scan their PSX sales receipt.

http://psx.ign.com/articles/060/060188p1.html

This article, dated August 1998, states that Sony called the machine the PS-X when they first revealed it in 1993.

Thanks for the link that was actually a really good read. So I guess it wasnt for fun.

"1993 The Next Cycle

After returning to the drawing boards, Sony revealed the PS-X, or PlayStation-X. Gone was the original cartridge port, as were the plans for multimedia. "

They wanted a dedicated gaming machine. I wonder what happened to that logic in the last 10 years because Microsoft really took that idea and ran with it to the bank in my opinion while Sony completely forgot that scope and gave us the PS3 which can do "everything". Ughh......

btw, it's PS1 or PS One. The PSX is a playstation 2. Many stupid people called the PS1 a PSX for some (or no) reason.

Old people who were there on release, bought it the first day, and subscribed to Sony's magazine = stupid people?

It was and is PSX from day one. New developments don't change history.

AX

Although, Ax, people commonly refer to the VCS as the 2600 these days, although for several years it was simply the VCS.

They wanted a dedicated gaming machine. I wonder what happened to that logic in the last 10 years because Microsoft really took that idea and ran with it to the bank in my opinion while Sony completely forgot that scope and gave us the PS3 which can do "everything". Ughh......

Yeah, but... did Sony EVER release a dedicated game machine? Even the original PSX was touted as being a great CD player... and this was at a time when CD game consoles were amazing concepts. The CD capabilities weren't the main selling point, but they weren't ignored either. The PS2 was a DVD player. The PS3 is a DVD/BR/Netflix player and does mp3, among other things. The PSP was Sony's idea of what would happen if a Minidisc player had sex with an iPod.

Sony has always been about using the big multimedia technologies. The PSX was a "dedicated game machine" in that Sony deliberatly kept away edutainment titles, but in terms of hardware, I don't think the focus has ever been there.

Which is most of the reason why it sold as well as it did, and the reason why that lackluster HD-DVD crap is gone, and Blu-Ray is the defacto standard, instead of dragging out some stupid HD format war longer than it needed to be.

I like the fact that the PS3 is also a blu-Ray player, and that the PS2 was a DVD player. I don't like having 40 gadgets attached to my TVs.