IGNORED

How to install a Jamma board?

Mock

I have been looking for this on google for hours and cant find it, hope maybe one of you guys might know.

I picked up a Super Pac Man cabinate that was converted over in 1987 to a "Time Soldiers" game...I got it gutted for $35.

It's pretty much just the cabinate, there was no wiring or hardware in the game and it was on its way to the dumpster or being firewood.

I want to hook up a 60 in 1 board in it for my kids to play on...that way I dont have to fool with MAME and the 60 in 1 board has the games they would like anyway, so i think that is the way to go.

My problem is, I know nothing about arcade games at all...and I can't find anything that tells me how to hook one of these 60 in 1 boards up to a gutted cabinate? All of the "How to" articles either tell how to hook it up to one with existing wiring or to a pac man or centipede cabinate?

I need to know what all I would need to buy to make this work? Can anyone help me out with a good link or the info?

I see the Jamma wire harness on ebay and a power supply...is that all I need or do you need a computer or something to put the Jamma board in? I'm lost here?

Also...i was able to salvage the Super Pac Man artwork, so I am going to put it back to an original looking Super Pac Man cabinate. I got a NOS marquee and bezel glass from ebay at a good price...ordered the T molding and a new custom control panel overlay that another guy designed and was nice enough to share with me ...getting ready to start doing the body work on the damaged areas and try to restore the paint and artwork as best i can...not sure how that will go?

Thanks for any help...

here are a couple of pics in case anyone wants to see what I am working with.

post-3076-0-99349600-1306710215_thumb.jpg

post-3076-0-43024100-1306710236_thumb.jpg

post-3076-0-57845300-1306710252_thumb.jpg

post-3076-0-00282400-1306710276_thumb.jpg

Buy a JAMMA wiring harness that has all the wires labeled.

If you install a monitor that has a traditional power plug connection, you just need an ATX power supply to power the board.

Everything then just gets wired up to your buttons and joysticks.

It's really that simple.

Buy a JAMMA wiring harness that has all the wires labeled.

If you install a monitor that has a traditional power plug connection, you just need an ATX power supply to power the board.

Everything then just gets wired up to your buttons and joysticks.

It's really that simple.

ok so if i want to use a regular PC LCD flat screen 19 inch Dell monitor (I have one to spare and on a tight budget or i would get a real arcade monitor)...can i hook it up to this board directly?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3005606353631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300560635363&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

it looks like there is a monitor plug in on the board?

and this wire harness:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2306214182961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=230621418296&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

and looking at this power supply:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2607541827161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260754182716&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

or are you saying I can just swipe an ATX power supply and plug it in to the 60 in 1 board directly with the standard power plug on the ATX? or do I have to have wires going to the power supply from the 56 pin connector like this:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1706405933581?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170640593358&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'm confused on this harness/monitor/power supply set up and how it is interfaced. I am guessing that i can get a regular ATX power supply and hook it directly in to a power strip/outlet on one end and hook the white connector directly to the white plug on that Jamma board...run the wires in the Jamma harness to my controls...plug the LCD monitor in to a power strip/outlet and the blue plug on the 60 in 1 board and thats it?

Also one last question, does the 60 in 1 board hook up directly to the original speaker? It had 1 6x9 speaker in it.

thanks for the help!

If you look at the 60-in-1 board here:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5986&idcategory=2071

and zoom in on the photo you'll see the VGA input and to the right of that is a molex power connector - the same you find on hard drives and DVD drives.

Here's the wiring harness:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5993&idcategory=2071#details

There's documentation in the manual that comes with the 60-in-1 board that tells you what wire goes to the respective controller. The ends are already crimped with quick connects.

Here's a power supply you can use to power the board:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5139&idcategory=0

And don't forget the PCB feet for mounting the board in the cabinet:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5987&idcategory=2071

Now, the issue of power is going to be your call as to how you want to do it.

I have a 60-in-1 board in my Congorilla cabinet which has a 19-inch arcade monitor. I'm using the existing stock power supply for the monitor and an ATX power supply for the JAMMA board. From there, I plug everything (including the marquee light) into a surge protector and run an extension cord out of the cabinet to an up-line surge protector which has multiple cabinets plugged in. All I have to do is flip the switch of one surge protector and all the cabinets power up.

I couldn't tell you how to power a standard computer monitor off of the switching power supply.

The cabinet you are converting uses a 19" vertical monitor. You could use a 19" arcade monitor (which will give you better graphics) and use the switching power supply to power the monitor, the board and marquee light.

Or, you can buy a 19" LCD monitor from Suzo Happ (make sure you get the mounting bracket kit which is extra). Those monitors are pricey and LCD monitors will look like crap compared to arcade monitors.

Let me know what you intend on using for power and monitor.

Also, what are your plans for the control panel? I could give you some tips there as well.

wow thanks!

as far as the monitor, I have this Dell LCD 19 inch monitor i was going to use if possible...just because its free....i could update it later to a legit arcade monitor when i have the extra funds. I'm guessing that I would just plug it in to the power strip to power it? I'm just curious if the 60 in 1 board will work with that or would it require some sort of add on/adapter board? I run MAME on it now and it doesn't look perfect, but it looks "OK"...good enough for my kids to play.

as far as the control panel, i'm going to leave it set up as it is now with 2 sticks and 2 buttons per stick, but i'm going to move the 1 and 2 player buttons over to the left side. I will attach a pic of the control panel overlay i have on order and you will see what i mean.

also, saw in your other thread you said you used the "hinged" method to apply the control panel overlay on your Galaga cab...what exactly is that? turned out great on yours from the looks of it.

with the 60 in 1 board, would any of the games even use 2 sticks and 2 buttons? or should i go with a stick in the center and put 2 buttons on each side for lefty/righty play? I think one of my kids may end up being left handed, can't tell just yet because he still uses both hands for doing things.

post-3076-0-25212000-1306722127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mock

i could update it later to a legit arcade monitor when i have the extra funds. I'm guessing that I would just plug it in to the power strip to power it? I'm just curious if the 60 in 1 board will work with that or would it require some sort of add on/adapter board?

If you're asking about how to use an arcade monitor with the 60-in-1: video out to arcade monitor is on the edge connector so therefore what you would do is splice the Red, Green, Blue, Ground and Sync wires from the JAMMA harness to the respective video out wires coming from the arcade monitor. That's how I did it.

Your arcade monitor should come with a cable to output the video. Just use male/female quick connects or a terminal block to splice them together.

If you get a switching power supply, you could use that to power the arcade monitor and the JAMMA board. If you're going that route long term, you may as well purchase the switching power supply now instead of the ATX power supply. Your power to the JAMMA board would be via the wiring harness instead of molex connector.

They make arcade monitors that do not require isolation transformers so you need to investigate the requirements before you buy.

as far as the control panel, i'm going to leave it set up as it is now with 2 sticks and 2 buttons per stick, but i'm going to move the 1 and 2 player buttons over to the left side. I will attach a pic of the control panel overlay i have on order and you will see what i mean.

also, saw in your other thread you said you used the "hinged" method to apply the control panel overlay on your Galaga cab...what exactly is that? turned out great on yours from the looks of it.

with the 60 in 1 board, would any of the games even use 2 sticks and 2 buttons? or should i go with a stick in the center and put 2 buttons on each side for lefty/righty play? I think one of my kids may end up being left handed, can't tell just yet because he still uses both hands for doing things.

I believe there is only one game that would use two joysticks for simultaneous 2 player play. None of the games use two joysticks for 1 player play.

In regard to joysticks, you will need a 4-way joystick or at least an 8-way that can easily be converted to 4-way. I believe there are only 8 games out of the 60 that are 8-way. If you get an 8-way, you're going to be miserable trying to play Pac-Man and Lady Bug. With that, you will want to go with the Pac-Man 4-way red ball joystick to make it look nice.

If it were my cabinet, I'd Bondo the two holes at the bottom of the control panel (the ones that look like skulls).

I believe there are only two games that use 3 buttons. In any event, you won't be able to wire based on left handed or right handed. You can do that in MAME, but not in this case. The pins are player 1 joystick, player 1 button 1, player 1 button 2 and player 1 button 3. Repeat for player 2 controls.

Another consideration is the use of a trackball. There are four games that you could use this with: Arkanoid, Super Breakout, Centipede and Millipede. If you want the trackball, you will want it where the joystick is on the right hand side of the control panel. You may have to cut a bigger hole for the ball. As for me, I didn't bother since I didn't want to desecrate my Congorilla control panel and the fact that I already have a cabinet dedicated to trackball games.

The 60-in-1s support free play. But, if you want to credit up the games, you could use the coin door if it works and insert quarters. Another option is to install a button on the coin door to credit up.

The hinge method for installing the overlay:

- Place masking tape at the top of your control panel overlay

- Line up overlay to the control panel and tape to the control panel creating a hinge

- Flip the overlay and remove the backing

- Smooth the overlay onto the control panel

Then, take a razor blade can cut Xs in the overlay where your holes are. Push these into the holes and smooth them to the back side of the control panel. Keep in mind that you'll have some button to cover the imperfections on the obverse side of the control panel.

One last thing: when you go into the configuration of the 60-in-1 board to set all the dip switch settings, volume controls etc...one of the last pages is where you save the configuration and it's not worded so that it's painfully obvious like "save configuration." I think it was one word like "setup". Select that will save your configuration. If memory serves, if you go past that page you will lose all your configuration changes - I found out the hard way.

for the monitor, i'm going to have to use a Dell LCD computer monitor...it's an RGB signal...i'm guessing i can just go to Best Buy and get a converter cable? I may add an arcade monitor down the road at some point, but I cant right now.

I plan on filling in the bottom two holes with the inserts I will have from drilling the two new holes on the left side of the control panel and then bondo it so it is nice and even.

I might go with a track ball as I like Centipede a lot...and I think my kids will like a couple of those games....is the 60 in 1 ready to accept a trackball or do i need a track ball and a control board for the track ball and then the 60 in 1 would route to the control board?

I may go ahead and add the 3rd button in there since there are a few games that can use it...not a big deal just drill another hole and place it so it looks nice. I dont think any of the games you mentioned for the track ball use more than 1 button? So I might just fill in one of those and have the trackball and one button on the other side?

As far as the 4 way vs 8 way...i think Gyruss would use an 8 way wouldn't it? and that is one of my all time favorite games...so i would need to figure out what sort of stick to get there....is there one made that you can lock in/lock out easily that you know of? Also want to go with a pac man style ball because that is my favorite stick type and anything else just doesn't feel right to me lol...so for sure will have to get one of those or at least end up putting that type of ball on whatever I get.

Also...not going to mess with the coin door...would just like to have it set to free play...hit the 1 or 2 player start and go sort of thing? I assume that is how it works?

thanks again for all the info...this is exactly what I could not find in searching google...maybe this will show up and help others.

SIDE NOTE: found this, looks like it was just added to the site you linked to earlier:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6004

Edited by Mock

for the monitor, i'm going to have to use a Dell LCD computer monitor...it's an RGB signal...i'm guessing i can just go to Best Buy and get a converter cable?

You should be good to go. There's a VGA port on the JAMMA board so you should be able to just plug in.

I plan on filling in the bottom two holes with the inserts I will have from drilling the two new holes on the left side of the control panel and then bondo it so it is nice and even.

Yeah - I was going to mention about that after taking a second look at the overlay and seeing the one/two player start on the left side.

Basically, what your talking about in bondo'ing using the inserts is how I fill holes in wood control panels. I just drill holes in a piece of plywood, wood glue it in and then patch & sand.

I bought a gutted Trivia Whiz cabinet and converted it to a MAME powered Star Castle mini-cabinet. I had to Bondo a bunch of holes but I didn't use the inserts for the holes I drilled out.

I might go with a track ball as I like Centipede a lot...and I think my kids will like a couple of those games....is the 60 in 1 ready to accept a trackball or do i need a track ball and a control board for the track ball and then the 60 in 1 would route to the control board?

I may go ahead and add the 3rd button in there since there are a few games that can use it...not a big deal just drill another hole and place it so it looks nice. I dont think any of the games you mentioned for the track ball use more than 1 button? So I might just fill in one of those and have the trackball and one button on the other side?

The 60-in-1 is already pinned out for trackball use. It has all the wires you need to connect to trackball.

Also, keep in mind that on a Centipede cabinet the trackball is on the right and the fire button on the left. What I would do is install the trackball on the right and use player 1 button 1 as your fire button. You won't be able to wire up a fourth button to use as a fire button to the right of the trackball.

As far as the 4 way vs 8 way...i think Gyruss would use an 8 way wouldn't it? and that is one of my all time favorite games...so i would need to figure out what sort of stick to get there....is there one made that you can lock in/lock out easily that you know of? Also want to go with a pac man style ball because that is my favorite stick type and anything else just doesn't feel right to me lol...so for sure will have to get one of those or at least end up putting that type of ball on whatever I get.

I play Gyruss with a 4-way and it works fine. Same goes for Time Pilot. You'll probably see a difference in games like 1943, Juno First and Scramble.

Ultimarc sells the 4-way/8-way switchable, which is what you'll want:

http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html

Also...not going to mess with the coin door...would just like to have it set to free play...hit the 1 or 2 player start and go sort of thing? I assume that is how it works?

I have not been able to do two player with it on free play. But, I had to put it on free play because I did not want to hack up the Congorilla control panel since it is a painted metal control panel. So, I only have three buttons and a joystick to work with. What I did was use the Jump button as the game select button, Player 2 button as button #1 and Player 1 button as button #2.

Also, what a lot of people do is drill a hole in the coin door. You can use a black microswitch button (keeps it low profile) or get one of those Atari Volcano buttons (used on Missile Command and Asteroids). All you have to do is then wire it up to your Jamma harness - no big deal - not any more difficult than what you are doing now on the control panel.

thanks again for all the info...this is exactly what I could not find in searching google...maybe this will show up and help others.

I just finished my Congorilla cabinet with a 60-in-1 so I had to do a lot of research myself. Fire me up with some rep points :)

SIDE NOTE: found this, looks like it was just added to the site you linked to earlier:

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6004

I would go with that cuz it'll save you some dough. I bought stuff from these guys and they're good peeps.

I would add two plain white microswitch buttons to the order because those 1 & 2 player start buttons with the little men on them are pretty lame. Your overlay already indicates which button is which.

BTW, here are some Super Pac-Man marquees from QuarterArcade. They are another vendor I buy frequently from. You'll have to search elsewhere for the monitor glass.

http://quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/683

http://quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/748

Let me know if you need a 6x9 or 5-inch speaker. I have one of each sitting in the garage.

Edited by rmaerz

BTW, here are some Super Pac-Man marquees from QuarterArcade. They are another vendor I buy frequently from. You'll have to search elsewhere for the monitor glass.

http://quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/683

http://quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/748

Let me know if you need a 6x9 or 5-inch speaker. I have one of each sitting in the garage.

The original 6x9 speaker was in it...so i hope it will still work...going to try it anyway.

I actually picked up an NOS glass and marquee from ebay already...less than 80 bucks for both DLVD and both are mint and brand new...was very happy with that purchase.

Good idea on the trackball...didn't think about the fire button needing to be on the left side....so that will work...i will just fill in the holes on the other side then...should look nice and clean.

Thanks for the link to the 4/8 way stick...i think i will go with that and add the pac man stick they sell to it.

Good idea on the 1 or 2 player buttons as well...i think the plain white would look a lot better. I think i will go with red-white-blue buttons for the fire buttons and make the red one the main fire button which would also be used with the trackball like you said...shouldn't confuse anyone that way who doesn't really know the machine...all you would need to know is red=fire that way.

I think i'm pretty much all set now on what i need to order...price of everything i still need should come in at about $300 or so and i've spent about $150 so far including gas on the trip to pick it up and materials needed...so i'm looking at about $500 total I think to have it all set up...not bad all things considered...about 65% cheaper than you can buy one already made up for.

I think once I get this one done I will probably do another one at some point...its been a lot of fun so far and I know my kids are going to love it....have two boys so I could put 2 or 3 of these together and have a nice set up where no one fights over who plays next lol.

I don't know how rep points work, have never done that...and i dont see where I can +rep you? maybe since I am at zero I'm not allowed to rep others? maybe? not sure.

Edited by Mock

oredered the combo kit, trackball, and the mount plate for the trackball today...got my t-molding in the mail today as well. Ordered a Super Pac man key chain for the coin door from a guy on KLOV...now just need to do the dirty work on the paint and body work on the cabinate and put it all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Converting this game to a Multicade should be considered a crime. There are MANY generic JAMMA cabinet that would be a good fit for a 60-in-1. A classic cabinet like this should be restored to it's original state.

I just hate to see a classic cab get that treatment.

Converting this game to a Multicade should be considered a crime. There are MANY generic JAMMA cabinet that would be a good fit for a 60-in-1. A classic cabinet like this should be restored to it's original state.

I agree to a point.

First of all, the Super Pac-Man was already sodomized by someone else with this Time Soldiers stuff. If I recall (not having visited this thread for a while) the OP will be replacing the artwork where needed back to Super Pac-Man.

Here's what I faced with my Congorilla cabinet:

I had the monitor chassis shopped out to Aracdecup.com. When I received the parts back, I had video but a color convergence problem. A local collector helped me fix that but there were still a number of problems with the Donkey Kong board that he was not able to fix and no one that repairs boards out there wanted to touch a Japanese DK board set.

At that point in time, Congorilla had no value. I bought a 60-in-1 board, wired it up and made no physical modifications to the control panel in doing so. The cabinet can easily be converted back to its original glory by either myself or anyone that restores cabinets.

If you go to the collection page on my www site you can check it out.

If it were my Super Pac cabinet, I would restore the cabinet to its original glory and not modify the control panel beyond what it was originally intended to look like.

Keep us posted!

You gave great help so far rmaerz, I wish I saw this earlier to help out too.

Good luck on your cab...they become addicting.

I still have aCustom Neo Geo cab to bulid and another MAME cab to do one day.

But I been having so much fun trying to find a new home it might be alittle longer till I get the room for any more cabs.

And been loving my supergun lately, nothing like playing a real jamma board on any tv/monitor in the house.;)

• 2 weeks later...

did you see the before/after pics...this thing was gutted...there was nothing left of the original super pac man until the art was stripped, which i am taking the time to completely fix this thing up to look like a legit Super Pac Man...I got brand new NOS glass and marquee...a custom made CPO that matches the original artwork...the original control panel was already drilled out for Time Soldiers which is what it was converted to...besides the fact that this was nothing but a shell when i got it, if i didn't pick it up then it would have been destroyed...so, why you would think this is a crime is beyond me. I am fixing this thing up nice and i am putting a 60 in 1 unit in there for my kids to play, which has Super Pac Man on it...and in the future I plan on fixing it back to an original Super Pac Man dedicated game when i get another donor cabinet I can put the guts in and when i can round up all of the parts to restore it completely...but for now, its going to be something my kids can play and enjoy.

If that pisses you or anyone else off...well, sorry...get over it...best I can do for now and if I had not done this it would be gone by now...it was days away from being scrapped when I made the 4 hour round trip to get it...I'll post up more pics when its done.

Some additional comments...

Just to clarify, the color convergence problem I had on the Congorilla arcade monitor was not due to the work performed by Arcadecup. This was an adjustment that needed to be made on the picture tube.

Also, I wanted to give you a heads up regarding using an arcade monitor with the 60-in-1 JAMMA. My cab was working flawlessly until I moved it across the room in the Retrocade. The video all the sudden was wavy like a rabbit ear TV set with bad reception. If you have this problem, take a ground wire from the JAMMA harness and attach it to the metal of the monitor mounting brackets. I simply snipped the connector off of one of the available ground wires, stripped it and taped it to the brackets with electrical tape.

• 3 weeks later...

so...wow...talk about a learning curve! I started this at the end of May and half way through July I now own not 1 but 10 arcade games lol.

I started looking around locally and found a lot of good deals hiding out...and i've learned a LOT along the way...kinda cool...had a lot of fun.

So, my plans have since changed due to the pick up of some other games and hardware...I'm going to hold off on the Super Pac Man and will probably try to restore that back to its original state.

Don't get too excited though resto police geeks, because...I will probably use a Berzerk cabinet that I picked up that is already converted to a Jamma game...simply because it is in pretty foul shape and has everything pretty much ready to go. Sucks I spent $40 on the custom Super Pac Man CPO, but I'll save that for another day or something on down the road.

Right now, I've got an original Pac Man that I'm working on that will be put back to like new shape...it was saved from the burn pile as well and had a lot of water damage to it, most people would have probably just trashed it...but, I really wanted a Pac Man and decided to save it :)

I have a restoration thread going over at KLOV if anyone wants to check it out...still sanding and fixing problems with the wood right now.

Thanks for the help here though, it got me pointed in the right direction and I'll post pics up once i get some more things in order....just wanted to give you guys an update.

***Also...in case you were wondering, here is a list of what i have and i'm working on.

(1) Super Pac Man - was going to make a 60 in 1 out of it, decided to restore it back to original instead due to other games i picked up.

(2) Pac man - full restoration back to original.

(3) Time Pilot - This is converted from a Challenger, side art is so nice and I love Time Pilot so much I'm keeping it "as is" and just replacing the CPO for Time Pilot.

(4) Robo Cop - fixing up the side art and re-doing the monitor and it's good to go.

(5) Midway 4 person Bowling - this thing is awesome and in great shape...old black and white game from 1978...love it! Needs nothing.

(6) Rampage - will do a full resto on this one at some point...great shape already but would look sharp when resto'd....waiting on the repro graphics to be released before i do anything.

(7) Gorf - this was converted over to "Final Round"...bleh! I am gathering pieces up that I need to restore this back to a Gorf because I love the game and have always wanted one.

#8 - Berzerk - converted to a Super Contra then to Fantasy '95...this thing is beat all to hell...going to try to clean it up and make a 60 in 1 out of it...too far gone to fool with doing anything else...it's that bad.

(9) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - picking this up tomorrow...it's in either a Frenzy or Berzerk cabinet...not sure which, and a 2 player. See # 10 for my plans :)

(10) NFL Blitz '99 - this was converted from an NBA JAMS game...and the joysticks dont work...going to take the TMNT from #9 above and make a nice TMNT game out of it...the kids will love it.

---in the works:

-Spider-Man ...trying to get a deal done to get this one.

-Simpsons ...this is in a Gauntlet cab? Would like to get it and make a Gauntlet and use the Simpsons parts in another 4 player cabinet.

-Shenobi...this is in a Tempest cab, would love to get it and make a Tempest and sell the Shenobi stuff off.

-Tekken 3 and 4...not sure exactly what this is...might be getting it soon, the cab it's in is HUGE and kinda looks like a Donkey Kong cab on crack.

-Dig Dug...what's not to love about Dig Dug? Just need to go pick this up...buying it from my buddy.

Edited by Mock