IGNORED

So then ,what PS2 game(s) would you buy?

kisrael

So I went ahead and got a PS2. Like I said in my other post, as I browsed what was available it seems like PS2 has turned a corner that the other systems haven't with lots of decent older games for cheap.

My primary interests are multiplayer (especially using the multitap, but not sports) and I'm trying to avoid big long games that I'd have to commit to really enjoy...between clone wars and vice city, I got plenty in that department. And I am in a bargain hunting mood.

So, what would you suggest? I'm wondering if State of Emergency might have some stupid silly fun...

State of Emergency might be a good buy if you can find it for maybe under $3.

$3? damn, where do you shop?

I would say go for SOCOM,the Activision set,and Virtual Fighter 4.ALso Devil May Cry is a great game too. :D  :ponder:  :)

I'm thinking I should look up twisted metal: black....

State of Emergency might be a good buy if you can find it for maybe under $3.

$3? damn, where do you shop?

I would say go for SOCOM,the Activision set,and Virtual Fighter 4.ALso Devil May Cry is a great game too. :D  :ponder:  :)

I'm thinking I should look up twisted metal: black....

I am saying that the game is crap.

And yes,Twisted Black is sweet and only $20. :D :ponder: :)

I am saying that the game is crap.

Wow, that bad? Maybe I'll rent it tho.

Hey, the guy at the store said you shouldn't mount it sidewise like some people do, it makes eventual problems reading disks more likely. is that true?

Also, why is the power so out of the way and cheap feeling?

I don't play too many multiplayer games with friends in the same house, so unfortunately I can't speak from experience. But, based on what I've enjoyed either single-player or online, combined with some general hearsay about the multiplayer features, you might like the following:

Frequency (up to 4 players on 1 system, or up to 4 players online)

TimeSplitters 2 (up to 4 players on 1 system, or up to 16 players on linked systems)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (up to 4 players online)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (up to 8 players online)

Here are some of the best gaming bargains on PS2--all under $20:

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec

Ico (I've seen it for as low as $14.99 new)

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Twisted Metal: Black

Virtua Fighter 4

Don't forget to pick up Activision Anthology, too! 8)

Hey, the guy at the store said you shouldn't mount it sidewise like some people do, it makes eventual problems reading disks more likely. is that true?  

Well with Blockbuster games where they have the sticker on them it is a problem.It off centers the disc and it doesn't spin right and messes things up.Just don't keep it that way and you'll be good. :ponder: :sad: :D

False. There's no problem playing the PlayStation 2 oriented vertically. In fact, it was deliberately designed so you could played it oriented either horizontally or vertically.

What you should never do, though, is change between the horizontal and vertical orientations while the system is powered on. That'll almost surely damage your discs--and possibly the lens in the system. If you want to change orientations, turn the system off first.

Also, why is the power so out of the way and cheap feeling?

I never had a problem with the power switch feeling "cheap." The reason why it's out of the way is because it isn't meant to be used frequently. Unlike many of the older (cartridge-based) systems, you don't need to power down the system to change the games. When you're done playing, you can hold the Power/Reset button on the front for a few seconds, and then the light will turn red, indicating that the system is in "standby" mode. Most of the system's functions will shut down at this point, to a state of hibernation (almost like it's powered off). You can push the same button to return to full power again.

I only use the Power switch if I intend to keep the system off for an extended period of time. But, there's nothing wrong with using the Power switch during every gaming session if you so desire.

This is a short run-down of PS2 games that I have and enjoy:

* Activision Anthology (should be $30 or less, very VERY nice emulation)

* Final Fantasy X (about $50, a bit linear but still deeply impressive)

* Grand Theft Auto 3 (might get it under $40; not for haters of violence)

* Jak & Daxter (spent $50 on it new; it's a "Naughty Dog" platformer)

* Namco Museum (should be $30 or less, nice but could go deeper)

* Smugglers Run (got it free from R*, tons of hardcore drivin excitement)

* Street Hoops ($20 greatest hits, basketball game w/ attitude to spare)

* Twisted Metal Black Online (free for beta-testing, WICKED when online)

Avoid: Oni (looks beautiful, but it's complicated and boring), Rune (might be good but I just can't get into it), Smackdown Just Bring It (awful play control and inane commentary) and Madden 2001 (fun in spurts but a drag to play for long times, espec. solo against the computer).

ON THE PS2 POWER

I never had a problem with the power switch feeling "cheap." The reason why it's out of the way is because it isn't meant to be used frequently. Unlike many of the older (cartridge-based) systems, you don't need to power down the system to change the games.  

Oh, one of those...

though it wasn't just the cartridge based systems, both DC and GC are pretty much just plain off.

When you're done playing, you can hold the Power/Reset button on the front for a few seconds, and then the light will turn red, indicating that the system is in "standby" mode. Most of the system's functions will shut down at this point, to a state of hibernation (almost like it's powered off). You can push the same button to return to full power again.

I wonder what the advantage of that is? Other than trying to feel like a VCR or other none game appliance that's usually on. I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly but it's a little confusing at first, having to learn red means sleep.

I have this really annoying CD carousel, low end. I think they purposefully made it more annoying to punish me for being cheap...when you try to turn it off, it says "STANDBY" in big glowing letters. Which is irritating, it feels like it's draining power to do that--and then, it won't wake up except for the power switch again! The only thing its "standing by" for is the damn power switch! What's so bad about "Off"?

I'm not a fan of networking or multi-player games, but if you like FPSs, I highly, highly recommend Deus Ex and Medal of Honor: Frontline. These two are fantastic if you like that sort of game -- absolute tops.

I think the GTA games are lame. Don't take their popularity to be a sign that you'll like them, any more than you'd take N-Sync's popularity as a sign of actual musical merit.

CF

So what did it for you -- the drive-by during which you shot a girl in the head, or murdering the hooker to get your money back?

This stuff might well be "funny" to the average hard-core gamer, who, in the typical case, hasn't even kissed a girl. Sorry I can't see things through your eyes, you lonely, sad dudes.

But is it really that entertaining to the average American guy to gun down a woman? Sure, it's just a game -- and it's absolutely not what I play games for! I never wanted to see that kind of stuff in future video games when I plugged in Atari cartridges as a kid and dreamed about the realism of the future. This is moronic stuff, folks.

As you can see, the element that primarily disturbs me is the game's rampant violence against women who are, in the game, portrayed as innocent victims -- helpless, but A-OK as targets. What the hell?! And this doesn't even get to me as much as the fact that many, many people enjoy these aspects and are entertained by them.

In what kind of world would I feel like I'm the weird one for being bugged by violence against females? Why is this acceptable vicarious pleasure to so many? Does this disturb nobody but me? This says a lot about our entire culture, and it genuinely chills me.

Look, I can understand the importance of keeping our freedoms intact. But I have to keep asking myself if the good qualities of this overblown driving game are so fantastic that everyone across the board should be willing to overlook the graphic depiction of female exploitation (the hookers) and mutilation.

This isn't a question of whether or not I'm more sensitive than most. I've never been bothered in the slightest by game violence before. This is an attempt to get people to use their brains and at least wonder about the kind of stuff that's presented and consumed as entertainment -- as pleasure for one's spare time -- in our society.

CF

LOL....I'm not a fanboy, but I sleep with my 2600.

I'm sorry if it came off like I was yelling, but I'm really not -- if you'll read the post, it's just trying to get people to think. In fact, it's pretty similar to your article about the PS2 graphic problems. It was meant in that spirit, rather than to scream and holler at someone. I think it's good when people voice their opinions, even if the majority doesn't agree with them. It might even be possible to educate people on perspectives they may not have considered before. I know you can identify with that, Liquid. ;)

CF again

So what did it for you -- the drive-by during which you shot a girl in the head, or murdering the hooker to get your money back?

This stuff might well be "funny" to the average hard-core gamer, who, in the typical case, hasn't even kissed a girl. Sorry I can't see things through your eyes, you lonely, sad dudes.

But is it really that entertaining to the average American guy to gun down a woman? Sure, it's just a game -- and it's absolutely not what I play games for! I never wanted to see that kind of stuff in future video games when I plugged in Atari cartridges as a kid and dreamed about the realism of the future. This is moronic stuff, folks.  

As you can see, the element that primarily disturbs me is the game's rampant violence against women who are, in the game, portrayed as innocent victims -- helpless, but A-OK as targets. What the hell?! And this doesn't even get to me as much as the fact that many, many people enjoy these aspects and are entertained by them.

In what kind of world would I feel like I'm the weird one for being bugged by violence against females? Why is this acceptable vicarious pleasure to so many? Does this disturb nobody but me? This says a lot about our entire culture, and it genuinely chills me.  

Look, I can understand the importance of keeping our freedoms intact. But I have to keep asking myself if the good qualities of this overblown driving game are so fantastic that everyone across the board should be willing to overlook the graphic depiction of female exploitation (the hookers) and mutilation.

This isn't a question of whether or not I'm more sensitive than most. I've never been bothered in the slightest by game violence before. This is an attempt to get people to use their brains and at least wonder about the kind of stuff that's presented and consumed as entertainment -- as pleasure for one's spare time -- in our society.

CF

On the one hand, the free market is agreat thing. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to..

On the other hand, is it having a detrimental effect on society? People can quote whatever study that they want to support their viewpoint, but that is in no way reflective of real life one way or the other IMHO.

Personaly, I won't have GTA in my house, but if someone playing it would have a detrimental effect on me, then where are we?

I remember back in the day when Beavis and Butt-Head were getting called on the carpet because people thought that they had made people start fires, wen in reality, no such link was proven in the cases presented (not to say there wasn't a role, but there was no provable one). Despite no solid link was proven, eMpTyV told Mike Judge to cool it on the fire refrences (cya) .

Where does all this leave us?

Heh. I'm trying to figure out if the "hey kids, cigarettes are fun" tagline you have contradicts this, or if it just sarcastically follows the same theme...

If it's "funny" (which is not what I said it was) it's funny in the "haha, look how clever they were at putting in details in their gameworld" and not in the "haha, a hooker got killed"

But is it really that entertaining to the average American guy to gun down a woman?

Judging by the sales? Yes. (Well, no, since it's not "Women Gundown Sim 2000", it's a very rich, well-detailed world which is the attraction.)

Sure, it's just a game -- and it's absolutely not what I play games for! I never wanted to see that kind of stuff in future video games when I plugged in Atari cartridges as a kid and dreamed about the realism of the future. This is moronic stuff, folks.

Shrug. People want escapism, imagine an amusing amoral life, are sick of some of the cliches of the usual hero roles.

What I don't get is why people focus on the women. There are plenty of innocent men bystanders as well, and more men that you specifically are assigned to gundown. Both my cousin and my main gaming buddy were into beating up "hookers" specifically tho, which I thought was a little weird.

I wonder why you're so hung up on the female side of it, frankly.

Because men are more likely to be in a position to do harm to women than to other men? And this is a risk of making it more likely?

I think the casual disregard for all life, from cops to innocent bystanders to people you're assigned to murder, is more of an issue here.

Both my cousin and my main gaming buddy were into beating up "hookers" specifically tho, which I thought was a little weird.

Weird? Given the (often unhealthy) puritanical values so-called Christians have and which were woven into the fabric of this country at it's inception, it's not so weird at all. Wasn't there a serial killer who stalked hookers and then when caught claimed he was just doing God's work? People talk about video games being immoral, but I'm not sure I agree with the "morals" of people who would like to believe "all the wickedry of the world is caused by Jews" or "homosexuality is an abomination" or other such claptrap. If you asked one of Osama Bin Laden's followers whether or not it was moral to kill non-Muslims just for not believing in Allah, they'd look you in the eye with a straight face and tell you yes of course it is - they're only infidels anyway.

The furor over GTA3 and BMX XXX and other such things still amazes me. Politicians are the worst. They like to whip people into a frenzy about how entertainment is immoral and indecent and how nobody is protecting the innocent children, but even if they actually believe it they have no intention of really doing a damn thing about it once elected. Preachers who love to hear themselves talk are no better. I wish all of these morons would worry less about what everybody else is doing and worry more about what's going on in their own district, their own community, and their own home.

A politician electioneering a headline always pisses me off as well. I don't think anything should be censored, let alone video games. I agree that the government has no place telling people what entertainment is "immoral" -- I don't want to be subject to someone else's moral code.

However, I center on women pedestrians because, as I pointed out, they're the innocents in the GTA games, which seems to be the appeal to idiot players who get off on running over or shooting defenseless people.

My cigarette-smoking blurb is there because I'm sick of people trying to take away smokers' rights. It's there in a humorous context, because it's only an Atari forum and I see no need to argue with members about what's good or bad for me.

I love to smoke, and if I type a little something laughable like "smoking is cool!," it's nowhere near as harmful to a little kid's psyche as shit like the GTA games. Smoking or not smoking is a personal choice. It's not inflicted on you by anyone (especially a cartoon camel in sunglasses...give kids SOME credit, for christsakes).

Equating cigarette-smoking with violent, murderous entertainment is completely off-base, and it just goes to show how successfully anti-tobacco lobbies and media have convinced people that cigarettes are suddenly the worst possible little things in the world.

So let's not have any more ad-hominum arguments.

CF