IGNORED

WTB: 2600 Consoles

I need some light sixers to complete my project I've started. Turns out my inventory is chipped, damaged, cracked in some way that makes them unacceptable for creation. :| I need either console shells or non-working, cosmetically good shape consoles to use for this project. I could use at least 3 light sixers, some 4-switch woodies would be great as well, since those seem very popular. :) Let me know what you have!

I need some light sixers to complete my project I've started. Turns out my inventory is chipped, damaged, cracked in some way that makes them unacceptable for creation. :| I need either console shells or non-working, cosmetically good shape consoles to use for this project. I could use at least 3 light sixers, some 4-switch woodies would be great as well, since those seem very popular. :) Let me know what you have!

Could you use just the tops?I have a few,if your interested

Let me know

Cebus: I will go and check. I know for sure that I have a 4 switch shell (super clean). I just need to see if any of my 20 other consoles in the closet are not working. Maybe we could arrange this as some credit towards my night light...or did this project push that one completely off the radar?

Let me know

Where did the bottoms go??? Are you using them for candy dishes or something? icon_mrgreen.gif

Hats :)

Just a few 2600 bottoms and a little spray paint and...PRESTO!

post-29022-0-70892600-1307574889_thumb.jpg

icon_mrgreen.gif

Night lights are still hopefully on the table but I've had some serious planning setbacks that I'm trying to overcome. The size of the shade requires either a special paper or an incredibly thin fabric --I received samples from custom fabric printers but the resolution is absolutely horrid with blotchy colors. I am still working my way down the list and getting samples but it takes 5-7 days to receive one, so it's very time consuming.

I am currently working with a theater student friend of mine to see if special theater opaque lighting tissue will work, but printable multiple-color solutions for that are incredibly cost prohibitive.

To be honest if anyone has a solution that may work, I'm game. I'm stymied right now on figuring out how to get a cool shade on them.

Night lights are still hopefully on the table but I've had some serious planning setbacks that I'm trying to overcome. The size of the shade requires either a special paper or an incredibly thin fabric --I received samples from custom fabric printers but the resolution is absolutely horrid with blotchy colors. I am still working my way down the list and getting samples but it takes 5-7 days to receive one, so it's very time consuming.

I am currently working with a theater student friend of mine to see if special theater opaque lighting tissue will work, but printable multiple-color solutions for that are incredibly cost prohibitive.

To be honest if anyone has a solution that may work, I'm game. I'm stymied right now on figuring out how to get a cool shade on them.

I work in the commercial printing industry...I'll do some homework and see what I can find out for you. I'd bet I can find you a much less expensive alternative.

Let me know if you need my 4 switch shell. I can PM pics if you want em.

Wow, I am amazed CPUWIZ hasn't had an embolism and moved this to the 'wanted' section. I'm NOT amazed, however, that I'm stupid enough to post this in the wrong place, just realized that! LOL

Benny: That would be awesome, actually. The problem with the night lights is that the shade is so close to the bulb itself that it doesn't allow much wiggle room in terms of opacity for the light to shine through. With a big lampshade, I'm golden with thicker material, because the light has diffused further and the eye can 'see' it through the space better. With the smaller shade, there's no space for the light to diffuse, so even a very small thickness difference can cause some real light diffusion problems.

I need something very thin, very opaque, and I may end up having to custom weld my own wire lampshade frames and just build a shade with a single layer of the opaque substance. That's going to be incredibly difficult and time consuming, as I'm a very, very crappy welder.

Benny: That would be awesome, actually. The problem with the night lights is that the shade is so close to the bulb itself that it doesn't allow much wiggle room in terms of opacity for the light to shine through. With a big lampshade, I'm golden with thicker material, because the light has diffused further and the eye can 'see' it through the space better. With the smaller shade, there's no space for the light to diffuse, so even a very small thickness difference can cause some real light diffusion problems.

I need something very thin, very opaque, and I may end up having to custom weld my own wire lampshade frames and just build a shade with a single layer of the opaque substance. That's going to be incredibly difficult and time consuming, as I'm a very, very crappy welder.

The base substrate of a lamp shade is usually some type of polypropylene, which itself, can be printed to. You could then layer it with a very sheer top fabric, allowing the print to show thru. It would likely cost less, but I have no idea how it would look. Additionally, I wouldn't even know where to start on lampshade fabrication.

I'll research this with my colleagues in the printing business and get you a solid solution. Give me a day or two...I also have a handful of donor Atari Joysticks if they are needed (broken ones obviously).

The fabrication itself is the easy part. I've already created a basic template for a printable material to apply to, and provided my welding skills are up to par, if I have to I can create the wire frame easily.

The base for the lampshade is a translucent hard plastic to maintain the shape of the shade overall and prevent fabric sagging, and then a layer of fabric with a 1/4-1/2" overlap is placed on it, seamed, adhered to it and folded over the top and bottom. Construction is actually quite easy, it's just a question of finding a damned material that will work!

The easy route, of course, is to use a pre-assembled lampshade with a thick piece of eggshell white fabric already on it. Provided I can find something translucent enough, I can just add that extra layer above it and shazam! Cool lampshade. That's what I do with the actual lamp shades.

However, with a nightlight I think I'm going to have to remove the fabric that is already covering the pre-assembled shade, which is still relatively straightforward. That gives additional thickness wiggle room so a less translucent material (preferably fabric) can be applied on top of the plastic base layer. Still not too difficult, just a bit more.

The hardest solution (and, admittedly, what would look the best) would be to remove the plastic underlay entirely and stretch the fabric external layer on the wire itself. That's how older lampshades are -- just stretched material, but it's going to be incredibly time consuming and difficult to stretch that fabric without sags, seams, or folds across a conical surface area, since I'm dealing with two circles as opposed to straight lines. I'd probably have to assemble some sort of custom loom to make it look halfway decent, and now we're back in that "cost prohibitive/time prohibitive" neighborhood for a hobbyist.

Having said that, anyone got any light sixers? I'd like those two heavies for sure, but the imperative is the light sixers for the lamps. :D

Having said that, anyone got any light sixers? I'd like those two heavies for sure, but the imperative is the light sixers for the lamps. :D

I have a light sixer with a sound problem...not sure if it is a bad solder or if the board is shot. I'm apprehensive to cannibalize it without knowing if it can be saved. Problem is, I am absolutely inept when it comes to electronics repair. icon_frown.gif

I'll bring it over to Joe at Digital Press later this week and see if he or anyone else can give me a verdict.

Let me know

Where did the bottoms go??? Are you using them for candy dishes or something? icon_mrgreen.gif

Hats :)

Just a few 2600 bottoms and a little spray paint and...PRESTO!

post-29022-0-70892600-1307574889_thumb.jpg

icon_mrgreen.gif

That's totally amazing! Very nice work! Is that a spudboy hat?

Edited by thegamezmaster
  • Like 1