IGNORED

Which # homebrews do you have?

Dryfter

I would count D1K as separate to Donkey Kong Arcade due the the inclusion of the Japanese ordering option. Ditto for SG&R due to the Intellivoice upgrade

The original SG&R has Intellivoice support too, but different voices.

I wasn't aware of that because I only have the recent release. So do think the later release is a variation?

It is a variation, the voices are very different (yes thats possible with the Intellivoice) and other aspects like the titlescreen and colours in the game are different too.

Maybe its time for a video. ;-)

I would count D1K as separate to Donkey Kong Arcade due the the inclusion of the Japanese ordering option. Ditto for SG&R due to the Intellivoice upgrade

I wasn't aware of that because I only have the recent release. So do think the later release is a variation?

It is a variation, the voices are very different (yes thats possible with the Intellivoice) and other aspects like the titlescreen and colours in the game are different too.

Cmart and I were talking about this a little while ago and we think the different SG&R games might be different enough not to call them variants, but to be game on their own.

I personally think it's pretty silly for the re-releases of the games. I love that people are still making games, I'd rather see original content, not a re-hash with new wrapping...

Something like D1K and D2K are ok though, D2K is an improvement with additional content. But I think I speak for most people when I say, no more releases of 4-Tris! :)

The fact that certain titles, like old copies of 4-tris, and Space Patrol are currently selling in the hundreds of dollars, shows that there were too few copies made in the first place.

Minehunter got a release of 150 units. It sells for big bucks now, so I don't think the re-release is silly at all.

When LTO 4-tris came out, I had the Intelligentvision version, and felt no need to have the new one. It is too bad that some people feel the need to have every variation of every title. I assure you, these re-releases are not lame attempts to make people buy the game again.....they are simply to fill the demand for more copies. Ryan wanted his game available for people to buy at a reasonable (read under 100 bucks) cost. Our version will be $55....I would not shell out more than that for the Intelligentvision release.....but I am sure there will be those who do.

• Like 3

Orphan Overlays

Series #1 - #0025

Series #2 - #??? (in the mail, will update once arrives)

Series #3 - #050 (full sized yellow box)

Series #3 - #122 (smaller, card-deck sized brown box)

Sorry man, series 1 isn't numbered....read my blog damnit! ;) Series 2 doesn't actually say series 2 anywhere...Series one was never boxed or numbered. Only about 50 of them were made.

Do all the series one packages say 0025 on them? Mine has a card in it with that number in the little ziplock bag. I'd take a picture but my camera is on it's way back from California from the Legoland lost and found. As for series 2, the box is what makes it series 2. The one that I won on eBay looks to have a number ending in 6, but you can't quite see the full number.

I'll have to check when I get home about the 0025 thing. I do know that series one doesn't have any numbering scheme at all. It's really hard, or possibly impossible, to know if you really have a series one set. If you just have a baggie with a card in it that's numbered, I'm pretty sure it's a series 2 set without the box. I'm 99% sure about that. I can send you the email I got from Roger a while back when I was asking him about this stuff if you want :)

I don't think so Pete. I remember when these first came out and buying them then and then Roger contacting me maybe a year later to ask me if I wanted to buy Series two and deciding that I didn't once he told me that they were the same as I had but just with a box added. Once Series 3 came out with different overlays I then chose to buy them....or at least that's how I remember it. :)

OK, I finally got around to taking some pics and I found a couple of interesting things.

First of all, my Series 2 is #66, and I've added to my Series #3 holdings, now I have set #123 of the small brown boxed variety as well as #122.

Time for some pics. :cool: The first two show the front and the backs of the yellow boxed Series #2 and Series #3 sets. You'll notice the difference is that a large sticker has been applied to the back for Series #3 showing the updated overlays, otherwise the box is the same.

The next pic shows the two small brown boxed versions of Series #3. (One of which I guess I'll likely be selling by the way. :cool: )

Next is a shot of what I maintain is a Series #1 set showing how it came packed in an outer bag, then the next one showing the small tight inner plastic wrap. You can see the #25 on the inner piece of cardboard.

The sixth shot shows the small Psycho Stormtrooper card with the number 25 on it and a now unfolded one page description of the overlays and why they were made.

The seventh shows the little booklet that came with Series#2 which replaced the one pager from Series #1, as well as my Series #2 Overlays (the number is 66, the first 6 is hidden under the white cross)

The eighth pic shows the evolution of the Super Pro Football overlays and you can see mention made of how the Series #1 version was made in 2000 and Series #2 was the final revision.

The final pic I think proves my assertion that I have a Series #1 as you'll see my overlay from the little plastic bag, which matches the 2000 version (green outline of the words Super Pro Football).

Pete, your thoughts? :ponder:

As an aside, I recently acquired a large lot from Roger that contained a lot of cool Orphan Overlay items, among other things, including a lot of digital images which will be shared hopefully soon.

Thank you for these pictures ! As you can see on the pictures below, I have the Series #1 but mine has no number ! So, are you sure Psycho printed 50 units of the Series #1 ? And how to know which number I have ?

Also, as you can see the message I received from Psycho Stormtrooper (Roger), I should receive a complete set for free (box and other overlays).... but I never received them :( and I never asked after a while, am I stupid or what ?

Pascal

-----Message d'origine-----

De : nukelaloosh569@aol.com [mailto:nukelaloosh569@aol.com]

Envoyé : samedi 10 avril 2004 19:56

À : scalpel@noos.fr

Objet : Thanks Pascal

Pascal,

I will send the box to you as soon as they arrive.

Keep in touch!

Roger

Psycho Stormtrooper

http://intellivision.org/

Scalpel,

If I remember correctly, you did have to wait to have your set completed, so I will send the box & other overlays for free. I will send them as soon as the boxes are done.

Thank You,

Psycho Stormtrooper

http://intellivision.org/

post-32817-0-07260000-1347294642_thumb.jpg

Edited by scalpel

It almost sounds like yours was made as he was transitioning to Series #2 as he was talking about the box and the extra overlays. Mine has the sticker on the outside of the little bag and then has the little cardboard insert card that's numbered. I'm guessing he did the first run numbered and then yours was made later on, just before he was ready to release Series #2, as I know I was contacted by him much later on to buy Series #2, and he made no mention of the box or the extra overlays when I bought mine.

EDIT: Maybe we should call yours Series 1.5 :-D

Edited by cmart604

The fact that certain titles, like old copies of 4-tris, and Space Patrol are currently selling in the hundreds of dollars, shows that there were too few copies made in the first place.

Minehunter got a release of 150 units. It sells for big bucks now, so I don't think the re-release is silly at all.

When LTO 4-tris came out, I had the Intelligentvision version, and felt no need to have the new one. It is too bad that some people feel the need to have every variation of every title. I assure you, these re-releases are not lame attempts to make people buy the game again.....they are simply to fill the demand for more copies. Ryan wanted his game available for people to buy at a reasonable (read under 100 bucks) cost. Our version will be $55....I would not shell out more than that for the Intelligentvision release.....but I am sure there will be those who do.

I don't think anybody would argue with fulfilling the demand for the old games.

I think the complain here is on re-releasing old games with modified content or packaging material, making them into "variants."

This suggests that effort is being spent in slightly updating old games, rather than creating new content.

If this were the case, I would agree. Regardless of whether this happened in the past, I think we are witnessing a resurgence of Intellivision development, with all sorts of new games coming up.

The fact that the modern production methods allow for re-releasing old titles that were heretofore thought extinct or rare enough, is just icing on the cake.

As long as new games keep on coming! :)

dZ.

• Like 1

...hopefully with some German babbling :-)

I don't think anybody would argue with fulfilling the demand for the old games.

I think the complain here is on re-releasing old games with modified content or packaging material, making them into "variants."

This suggests that effort is being spent in slightly updating old games, rather than creating new content.

If this were the case, I would agree. Regardless of whether this happened in the past, I think we are witnessing a resurgence of Intellivision development, with all sorts of new games coming up.

The fact that the modern production methods allow for re-releasing old titles that were heretofore thought extinct or rare enough, is just icing on the cake.

As long as new games keep on coming! :)

dZ.

Exactly what I meant to say. Sorry if it didn't come out that way. :)

• 1 month later...

Unboxed my order from Joe today with CC and SP order, and I realized I had never posted my numbers into this thread, so here goes (thanks to Cmart for the format for the list):

Philly Classic

1. 4-Tris - #001

White Box

2. 4-Tris - (Don't have it...yet)

IntelligentVision

3. Stonix - #28 of 250

4. MineHunter - #141 of 150

5. 4-Tris - #30 of 100

6. Adventures of Tron - not numbered, 1 copy

7. Spina the Bee - not numbered, 1 copy

8. King of the Mountain - not numbered, 2 copies

9. Same Game & Robots - #141 of 100..hmmm

10. Same Game & Robots - Intellivoice - not numbered, 1 copy

11. Yogi's Frustration - not numbered, 1 copy

12. Donkey Kong - not numbered, 3 copies

13. Rocky and Bullwinkle - not numbered, 1 copy

14. Illusions - not numbered, 2 copies

15. Super NFL Football - not numbered, 2 copies

16. Flintstones Keyboard Fun - not numbered, 2 copies

17. Scarfinger (?) (Pending?)

18. Unknown title (Pending?)

19. Unknown title (Pending?)

Left Turn Only

20. 4-Tris - LTO-02-024

21. Space Patrol - LTO-01-027

22. Christmas Carol (regular edition) - LTO-03-028, LTO-03-029, LTO-03-030, LTO-03-033

23. Christmas Carol (special edition) - ?? Don't have it, but it sounds like I need it.

24. 4-Tris (new LTO shell and OL’s?) (pending?) - ?? Still not released if I'm not mistaken

25. Space Patrol (new LTO shell and OL’s) (Pending?) - LTO-01-225, LTO-01-231, LTO-01-232

26. Super Space Patrol (pending) - Not yet released

Unbranded

27. Robot Rubble - Not numbered, 1 copy

28. League of Light - Not numbered, 1 copy

Elektronite

29. D1K – cart and manual release (box pending) - not numbered, 1 copy (cart only)

30. D2K - not numbered, 4 copies CIB

31. Minehunter (gatefold re-release, with new artwork) - Not numbered, 2 copies

32. Lost Caves of Kroz (2013) - not yet released

33. Defender of the Crown (2013) - not yet released

34. Paddle Party (2013) - not yet released

35. Space Wars (2013) - not yet released

36. Match 5 (?) (2013?) - not yet released

Intellivision Productions

37. Game #1 (about to be announced) - n/a

38. Game #2 (about to be announced) - n/a

39. Game #3 (about to be announced) - n/a

Orphan Overlays - Series 2 #156

Other items

Cuttle Cart 3 - not numbered, 1 copy

Ultimate Intellivision PC Interface - not numbered, 1 copy

That's all folks, that's my collection of homebrews.

Edited by ghsqb
  • Like 1

I think the complaint here is on re-releasing old games with modified content or packaging material, making them into "variants." This suggests that effort is being spent in slightly updating old games, rather than creating new content.

Allow me to inject my own perspective here:

In the specific case of 4-Tris, the circumstances of each release were sufficiently different that each release simply ended up being different. Philly Classic vs. Regular was the closest I came to an explicit variant, and that was mainly to celebrate the launch of homebrews for Intellivision.

Otherwise, I was releasing what I had available at the time, and certainly wasn't trying to tweak folks into collecting all the variants. The original release, IntelligentVision release and LTO release of 4-Tris all had different packaging, boards and labels simply because they used what was current at the time. PhillyClassic and Regular Edition used Atmel OTP EPROMs and XC9536s; later releases (mostly) used AMD windowed EPROMs, and either XC9536s or XC9572s. Along the way, the ROM saw minor tweaks that didn't really affect much.

That said, when LTO 4-Tris came out, I did try to unify its branding with Space Patrol, so it gained the LTO splash and an updated title screen. I also updated it to replace an old defunct email address on the sound-test screen with my current email address. Oh, and the PCB saw a minor rev to how we tied the Vpp line on the EPROM, so the boards actually say © 2007 instead of © 2001 to account for this. This wasn't part of a cynical "variant" play; it was simply releasing a consistent and up-to-date product line.

The fact of the matter is, though, that if you have multiple releases to meet continuing demand over a long enough time span, you end up with variants. In my most recent Space Patrol re-release, the carts are on my new JLP boards. HA HA! VARIANT! Now, I could have released them in recycled shells, but my production standards have evolved, so they get the new shells. But, that means a new label. HA HA! VARIANT! And, I've reprinted my overlays on Willy's process. HA HA! VARIANT! ... well, except I've offered the overlays to everyone separately, so you could update your existing copy with better overlays without buying the full new version.

Did I make variants on purpose? Well, I purposefully made products that meet my modern production flow. I didn't purposefully make a variant for the sake of having a variant. Variants happen.

I don't see it as being much different than INTV releasing white-label versions of games that previously had had colored labels. It met their production needs of the time, but it creates a variant.

For Minehunter, I do believe it is filling a demand. When I released 4-Tris initially in 2001, I had no idea how big the market was, and I only shipped on the order of 50 copies, plus or minus, between Philly Classic and Regular. After all, I was the first for Intellivision. :-) By the time IntelligentVision fired up in 2004, we thought the market was 150 - 250 copies. Here in 2012, Space Patrol has blown through the 300 mark. I think it's fair to say that, as word got around, the market has grown, and there's room for issuing more copies without it being a cynical "variant play."

Now all that said, when I run out of SP boxes (around 350 units or so), I probably will switch to sans-box sales, and save printing a new box for any sequel to SP.

Edited by intvnut

Unboxed my order from Joe today with CC and SP order, and I realized I had never posted my numbers into this thread, so here goes (thanks to Cmart for the format for the list):

Philly Classic

1. 4-Tris - #001

White Box

2. 4-Tris - (Don't have it...yet)

IntelligentVision

3. Stonix - #28 of 250

4. MineHunter - #141 of 150

5. 4-Tris - #30 of 100

6. Adventures of Tron - not numbered, 1 copy

7. Spina the Bee - not numbered, 1 copy

8. King of the Mountain - not numbered, 2 copies

9. Same Game & Robots - #141 of 100..hmmm

10. Same Game & Robots - Intellivoice - not numbered, 1 copy

11. Yogi's Frustration - not numbered, 1 copy

12. Donkey Kong - not numbered, 3 copies

13. Rocky and Bullwinkle - not numbered, 1 copy

14. Illusions - not numbered, 2 copies

15. Super NFL Football - not numbered, 2 copies

16. Flintstones Keyboard Fun - not numbered, 2 copies

17. Scarfinger (?) (Pending?)

18. Unknown title (Pending?)

19. Unknown title (Pending?)

Left Turn Only

20. 4-Tris - LTO-02-024

21. Space Patrol - LTO-01-027

22. Christmas Carol (regular edition) - LTO-03-028, LTO-03-029, LTO-03-030, LTO-03-033

23. Christmas Carol (special edition) - ?? Don't have it, but it sounds like I need it.

24. 4-Tris (new LTO shell and OL’s?) (pending?) - ?? Still not released if I'm not mistaken

25. Space Patrol (new LTO shell and OL’s) (Pending?) - LTO-01-225, LTO-01-231, LTO-01-232

26. Super Space Patrol (pending) - Not yet released

Unbranded

27. Robot Rubble - Not numbered, 1 copy

28. League of Light - Not numbered, 1 copy

Elektronite

29. D1K – cart and manual release (box pending) - not numbered, 1 copy (cart only)

30. D2K - not numbered, 4 copies CIB

31. Minehunter (gatefold re-release, with new artwork) - Not numbered, 2 copies

32. Lost Caves of Kroz (2013) - not yet released

33. Defender of the Crown (2013) - not yet released

34. Paddle Party (2013) - not yet released

35. Space Wars (2013) - not yet released

36. Match 5 (?) (2013?) - not yet released

Intellivision Productions

37. Game #1 (about to be announced) - n/a

38. Game #2 (about to be announced) - n/a

39. Game #3 (about to be announced) - n/a

Orphan Overlays - Series 2 #156

Other items

Cuttle Cart 3 - not numbered, 1 copy

Ultimate Intellivision PC Interface - not numbered, 1 copy

That's all folks, that's my collection of homebrews.

BTW, congrats on the low serials, esp. 4-Tris Philly Classic #001. :-D

In the specific case of 4-Tris, the circumstances of each release were sufficiently different that each release simply ended up being different. Philly Classic vs. Regular was the closest I came to an explicit variant, and that was mainly to celebrate the launch of homebrews for Intellivision.

Otherwise, I was releasing what I had available at the time, and certainly wasn't trying to tweak folks into collecting all the variants. The original release, IntelligentVision release and LTO release of 4-Tris all had different packaging, boards and labels simply because they used what was current at the time. PhillyClassic and Regular Edition used Atmel OTP EPROMs and XC9536s; later releases (mostly) used AMD windowed EPROMs, and either XC9536s or XC9572s. Along the way, the ROM saw minor tweaks that didn't really affect much.

That said, when LTO 4-Tris came out, I did try to unify its branding with Space Patrol, so it gained the LTO splash and an updated title screen. I also updated it to replace an old defunct email address on the sound-test screen with my current email address. Oh, and the PCB saw a minor rev to how we tied the Vpp line on the EPROM, so the boards actually say © 2007 instead of © 2001 to account for this. This wasn't part of a cynical "variant" play; it was simply releasing a consistent and up-to-date product line.

The fact of the matter is, though, that if you have multiple releases to meet continuing demand over a long enough time span, you end up with variants. In my most recent Space Patrol re-release, the carts are on my new JLP boards. HA HA! VARIANT! Now, I could have released them in recycled shells, but my production standards have evolved, so they get the new shells. But, that means a new label. HA HA! VARIANT! And, I've reprinted my overlays on Willy's process. HA HA! VARIANT! ... well, except I've offered the overlays to everyone separately, so you could update your existing copy with better overlays without buying the full new version.

Did I make variants on purpose? Well, I purposefully made products that meet my modern production flow. I didn't purposefully make a variant for the sake of having a variant. Variants happen.

I don't see it as being much different than INTV releasing white-label versions of games that previously had had colored labels. It met their production needs of the time, but it creates a variant.

For Minehunter, I do believe it is filling a demand. When I released 4-Tris initially in 2001, I had no idea how big the market was, and I only shipped on the order of 50 copies, plus or minus, between Philly Classic and Regular. After all, I was the first for Intellivision. :-) By the time IntelligentVision fired up in 2004, we thought the market was 150 - 250 copies. Here in 2012, Space Patrol has blown through the 300 mark. I think it's fair to say that, as word got around, the market has grown, and there's room for issuing more copies without it being a cynical "variant play."

Now all that said, when I run out of SP boxes (around 350 units or so), I probably will switch to sans-box sales, and save printing a new box for any sequel to SP.

even though i am dirt poor and cant even afford new games, i like the thought of releasing more copies so everyone can afford a copy. hoarders cant say they like paying 1500 for spiker, can they? Edited by pimpmaul69

Oh, and I forgot the topic of "accidental variant." If you bought Space Patrol at CGE2012, you have an accidental variant. In the rush to get everything prepared for CGE2012, I didn't have time to get a physical proof of the cart label. It turns out that the cart labels on those cartridges are a little smaller than I'd like. I reprinted all of those labels post-CGE, but the copies sold at the show have the smaller label. (There was a similar problem with Christmas Carol, but we had backup labels printed by a different process that were the right dimensions. So they're different in a different way, and were replaced/updated anyway through RMA, which introduces its own twist.)

These variations are accidental, unplanned variations, almost like the 1909 S VDB penny situation. It ends up creating an ultra rare variant, but not without leaving some egg on my face. :-)

Edited by intvnut

I'm still waiting for my clear cart variation special edition of space patrol. :-)

I don't have a plan to release one at the moment. Sorry. :-)

I guess that does raise a good point: I don't have a problem with special editions as long as they truly are special: limited quantity, unique in some interesting and awesome way, and perhaps showcasing something that takes a bit more effort to produce but might have a more limited audience that's interested in it. The clear-shell, very low serial number Christmas Carols Special Editions are an example. :-) What I think is just "variant churn" would be coming out with "2012 Special Edition" followed by "2013 Special Edition" followed by "2014 Special Edition", etc.

They do command a higher price, but let's face it, they're awesome, and that makes them worth it. The fact that Rev (and others) keep asking for a Space Patrol Special Edition like it points out just how cool it is. :-)

Edited by intvnut

Since Rev neglected to state that he wanted serial #001 of said upcoming clear cart variation special edition of Space Patrol let me be the one to do so. :)

lol, well if cmart gets cart 001, then I need the space patrol in the prototype shell :)

How just ONE run of a special edition of Space Patrol, maybe you could have Willy make it a gatefold box, with the clear cart and LED lights inside. And maybe different box art??

You know you want to!!!!!

I bet you could sell another 100 copies at 75 bucks real fast. Dont listen to any haters. Just DO IT!

Who is with me?

:-)

How just ONE run of a special edition of Space Patrol, maybe you could have Willy make it a gatefold box, with the clear cart and LED lights inside. And maybe different box art??

I bet you could sell another 100 copies at 75 bucks real fast. Dont listen to any haters. Just DO IT!

Who is with me?

Me. :)

I'm kinda broke, but if you could see me I'm raising one arm and trying to pull it back down with the other :mad: I suppose since I only bought one copy of Space Patrol and never had the older one, I would likely spring for a neat light-up one :grin: Although, I'm also planning on buying a shiny new copy of Super Space Patrol! How's that coming along, BTW?

Who is with me?

How about a special variant in an edible shell? Let's see... I'm thinking... BACON?