IGNORED

A Jaguar game with Parallax scrolling

Nope.

Pot-scan is a possible way of having a full-resolution version of VCOUNT.

The problem is, you really need to disable the OS Stage 2 VBlank and hit POTGO yourself.

It can potentially get the jitters because there's no guarantee that POTGO via the OS will always start on the same line.

Stuff like the soft Timers can distort it. In fact I'd suspect even something as simple as the RTCLOK hitting 00 on the lower 2 bytes might be enough to upset it.

Not to mention, the POTGO sequence doesn't even get initiated if the VBlank happens over the top of an IRQ in progress, or the CRITIC flag is set.

So, in effect you're going to a whole lot of trouble when it's not needed. VCOUNT in itself is fine for most cases, and if you're running a graphics Kernal then your code is usually tight enough such that you always know where you are.

Edited by Rybags

why using POTs... does this not sacrifice sound channels.

Nope. Pots are for paddles. They count INC every scanline (or every cylce in Fast-mode).

Although, they have only one real advantage in this particular case. They count when you want you can sync them to a cycle in the scanline.

VSYNC gets incremented at cycle 110 of every other line.

But, tehy do not trigger interrupts! So they are only usefull if your mainloop is idle and can do

:

lda POT0

cmp #target

bcc :-

Indeed IFF they would fire interrupts that would have been awesome. :)

However, they are (if your mainloop is idle) better then raster IRQs, as the response is definite and faster.

EDIT:

What Rybags said :)

However, if you do not need them from scanline 0 on, you can set POTGO with a DLI in the line you desire.

Further, for the use case at hand, VCOUNT is better, see my tests.

Edited by Creature XL

20 scanlines "wasted" - who cares?

The only thing that would effect is digital sound playback and even in that case a way could be devised to play the missing samples during such a DLI.

Let's name it a cross note to other threads where som "20 scanline" kernel is impossible due to the CPU usage.

Final version (verified to work on real HW). Doesn't it look similar to the Jag-sprite?

Don't forget to use the stick :)

The little flicker I cope with if this rout should be used. Else, I won't spend more time with it.

2nd, before emkay comes along with the height of the sprite: Can be changed of course :)

@emkay ("20 wasted lines"): Let it go. If you do not understand what we have told you. The coder who codes for you will know it.

EDIT:

I hope the flick is not because of a bad line :o

EDIT2:

No its not a bad line :)

kpmg.xex

Edited by Creature XL

Now with all the level data from the Jag version (press Start on the title screen to select a random level, Option to quite back to the title screen). The platforms are a lot closer together than they will be later as I needed to check I had enough buffers to uncompress them all. The background layer graphic is a placeholder, before the flurry of complaints ;)

Cheers,

Simon

downfall.stress.test.xex.zip

post-12834-0-77382300-1309458426_thumb.png

• Like 5

Now with all the level data from the Jag version (press Start on the title screen to select a random level, Option to quite back to the title screen). The platforms are a lot closer together than they will be later as I needed to check I had enough buffers to uncompress them all. The background layer graphic is a placeholder, before the flurry of complaints ;)

Cheers,

Simon

Looks awesome! The custom font for the score looks so much better than the standard one. I can't wait to play the final version now.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon... looks good... Let Jac! design the color bars please... ;)

and you did the "unholy"... a mode2 text line... ;)

• Like 1

Final version (verified to work on real HW). Doesn't it look similar to the Jag-sprite?

Don't forget to use the stick :)

The little flicker I cope with if this rout should be used. Else, I won't spend more time with it.

2nd, before emkay comes along with the height of the sprite: Can be changed of course :)

@emkay ("20 wasted lines"): Let it go. If you do not understand what we have told you. The coder who codes for you will know it.

EDIT:

I hope the flick is not because of a bad line :o

EDIT2:

No its not a bad line :)

great. Simon should try to implement it and see how it works out... :)

actually for all the talk of having the score overlaid I think it would look a bit busy and you'd be putting in a lot of work that would just reduce the readability of the score. I think I prefer it as it is at the moment.

Sorry if I've missed the answer to this by not paying attention.. but it is possible to recolour parts of the platforms (i.e the bits which have been walked on)? I'm asking because getting the game together seems to be coming along nicely and the next thing to build on the jag original could be the inclusion of other game modes.

Well, sometimes coders themselves seem not to know what they write about ;)

Well, Emkay is gone from the thread, however, I want to point out that he is right partly. :)

I had a long long PM-exchange with Jose about my C2-interlude. And he came up with ideas I would not have thought of. However, when I told him that this and that wouldn't work because of something, then he tried to understand it... and he understood. And that is the part where Emkay stops. AFAIK. That's a pitty.

Graphicians (and to some extend musicians) should have at least a good grasp of the HW (which Emkay surely has) and additionally some experience with coding to realize that not everything the HW offers is possible TOGETHER. For example, a kernel in a game with no soft-sprites (or maybe one) is not a problem but with soft-sprites it gets tedious. And last but not least, just because it is possible to make something on the HW does not mean that the coder wants to go the extra mile. (or one thousand extra miles :) )

Edited by Creature XL
  • Like 4

And last but not least, just because it is possible to make something on the HW does not mean that the coder wants to go the extra mile. (or one thousand extra miles :) )

Well said, remember homebrew authors are doing this for their enjoyment, not the false entitlement of other people. That isn't to say input isn't or won't be welcomed, but there's no need to get all bent out of shape if the actual person doing all the hard work doesn't want to take your idea on board.

• Like 1

Now that the thread has gone more interesting again ;)...

Well, Emkay is gone from the thread, however, I want to point out that he is right partly. :)

I had a long long PM-exchange with Jose about my C2-interlude. And he came up with ideas I would not have thought of. However, when I told him that this and that wouldn't work because of something, then he tried to understand it... and he understood. And that is the part where Emkay stops. AFAIK. That's a pitty.

There is just a slight difference. José has to learn all from scratch, while I know about the features of the A8 and how to handle them.

It's just your subjective perception that gains things wrong. That's what most people had to learn and never do.

Graphicians (and to some extend musicians) should have at least a good grasp of the HW (which Emkay surely has) and additionally some experience with coding to realize that not everything the HW offers is possible TOGETHER. For example, a kernel in a game with no soft-sprites (or maybe one) is not a problem but with soft-sprites it gets tedious. And last but not least, just because it is possible to make something on the HW does not mean that the coder wants to go the extra mile. (or one thousand extra miles :) )

You know, that's why Sheddy has my most respect doing A8 stuff.. He doesn't walk miles, he walked several times around the world to have Space Harrier as it is today.

Eagle created the "gr.7" demo.... no one expected the quality...

Not to talk about Project M (20fps). I always told the A8 can do a wolf 3D game in a very serious way....

Gathering the knowledge, well , probably, a full playable Wolf 3D clone will be there... faster as me might think of.

Edited by emkay

Not to destroy but if you get/have 2or3 chars left to use on the Middle Layer and instead of moving it slowly in the actual direction inverse it's direction into will look a Waterfall (with those 2or3chars and good dithering of the Blue/White colours)

The colours/luminances can be choosen also on Tittle screen by the Player, everyone would be happy if they can choose the colours/luminances in the A8 Pallete.

And this is not a problem as it is nothing in PRIOR0 'Oring' Mode.

I also get it higher(but not on bottom to don't have the 240th scanline problem...) and intend to show what's my idea for get 2PMs (the ones from the Objects) to the scoring above Gfxs leaving the 2PMs. Multicolour for 'our guy'

Another thing that might look better it's if the Platform PF3 would use a Red(colour2or3) instead of Blue.

Blue above Gray or Blue Gfxs. probably the ones more choosen by the Players...) aren't the best choose (everyone could also choose colours/luminances of the Platforms).

Just my idea but it woul need a good dithering on the Middle Layer and with the reverse direction slowly it will certainly look a Waterfall:

(just try this moving it like it it is now but inverse direction)

post-6517-0-19086800-1309518502_thumb.png

If not now, but at least try it when the final version with Playing is released and also the possiblity with the scores overlay...

Greets.

José Pereira.