IGNORED

A Jaguar game with Parallax scrolling

Agreed. Aside from the background, the game would practically be a 1K minigame candidate, memory usage shouldn't be an issue.

Memory isnt the issue. It's the font size.

We could get rid of the pattern look easily, if fonts switched many times on the screen, to have one pattern filling the screen itself.

How many fonts do we need then?

You can test your theory yourself by just loading the game and modifying the Display List. It ruins the movement of the platforms but the terrain is still smooth.

Use Atari800Win+ - enter the Monitor

Enter DLIST

then change all the Mode 4 occurrences to Mode 5, e.g.

C 2504 65

C 2507 65

C 250A 65

etc.

until you have about 12 Mode 5 lines

Actually, it looks kinda crap but looks better if you slow it to 50%

Edited by Rybags

how are the platforms generated?

I mean the algorithm?

Have a look into the original sources. You'll find a folder with BMPs where the platform data is 'encoded' into the picture.

BTW: Thank you all for the graphics plaudit!

BTW3: IMHO 'Catch My Fall' (Billy Idol) would be a good fit for the game music too. Any volunteers?

for a vertical scrolling game I would not vote for Gr.7 game... come on... use as much resolution as possible. vertical scrolling will get faster due to the resolution. we are not talking about Yoomp here... ;)

Never thought this:

In GR.7 or GR.13 double pixels height in Fine Vertical Scrolling we have one scanline scroll each time or two by two (A8 double) each time?

(And in GTIA Modes Fine Horizontal Scrolling it scrolls what? A 4:1 pixel that it's these Modes colour clock righ?)

I say keep the hi-resolution. It is nice and smooth as is, and the chunkier resolution will look less impressive.

It looks incomplete right now. If you don't believe me, how about believing the authors of the original game....

Of course it looks incomplete, the whole game is missing :)

And what does the author of a Jag game know about an 8-Bit game? :P

In all seriousness, WHY would you reduce the resolution? I guess I haven't seen what is the advantage of this.

I say keep the hi-resolution. It is nice and smooth as is, and the chunkier resolution will look less impressive.

It looks incomplete right now. If you don't believe me, how about believing the authors of the original game....

If dropping the resolution, would it not be better to use GTIA 9 for the 16 colors? Your "stoned" picture was very nice. I still prefer the look & feel of the game as it is now though. Graphics like music are subjective, and one person's pretty is another's hideous.

I don't see this having to be a direct 1:1 port of the Jag version. If the graphics can be done higher-res on this old machine, I say go for it. It gives the machine some "bragging rights" :)

What about powerups and penalties.

Is there a list of what the Jag version has?

If there's none, it'd be a cool idea to introduce some... maybe also stars or something, collect enough and you get an extra life.

Take a look at the source .zip, in folder gfx/. There are 4 collectible categories:

a) fruit, which gives you level*100 points (level goes up to eight)

b) shoe, which gives you jump for a short while

c) balloon, which makes you fall slower for a little while

d) jetpack, which makes you roam around the screen freely for a short while (but if you go to the top of the screen, game over!)

how are the platforms generated?

I mean the algorithm?

We didn't use one! Check the walltile folder. blockX.bmp has the blocks that each level uses (left, middle and right block). The levels themselves are in platX.bmp. These hold the sequence in which the platforms appear and in what positions in the screen. Green pixel=use 'left' tile, blue pixel=use 'middle' tile, red=use 'right' tile.

So it's possible to create the identical level set of the Jaguar version easily :).

P.S. What I've seen so far looks great, kudos to all involved! I'd suggest start implementing the gameplay now, as it's the heart of the game (not the parallax scroll, that was for fun :)). If you need any help with the inertia table of the character, give us a shout :)

Edited by ggn

Of course it looks incomplete, the whole game is missing :)

It looked better already ;)

And what does the author of a Jag game know about an 8-Bit game? :P

Vice versa. A8 people very often drop a good game just by changing the subjective mind... This time we have at least a chance for a completed game, because the A8 has nice hardware features to solve it.

In all seriousness, WHY would you reduce the resolution? I guess I haven't seen what is the advantage of this.

Because overlay ALWAYS looks more professional than some separated screenline.

Ermm.. i thought you wanted to exchange the ANTIC-mode4 lines with mode5 to get a 160x100 resolution.

What has that got to do with overlayed score-board? Or did I miss something? Or do you mean overlapping the scroll areas?

That would indeed be cool, however, not for a loss in resolution.

Maybe my english is to bad, but as far as I understand

"Careful, you might make the Jaguar game look like the sub-par version if you keep going like this"

he is telling nearly the opposite?!? :roll:

Ermm.. i thought you wanted to exchange the ANTIC-mode4 lines with mode5 to get a 160x100 resolution.

What has that got to do with overlayed score-board? Or did I miss something? Or do you mean overlapping the scroll areas?

That would indeed be cool, however, not for a loss in resolution.

OK. It's two different things .

Reducing the resolution of the full background will make the resulting graphics more flexibel/original.

And the extra "score line" breaks the view .

"Careful, you might make the Jaguar game look like the sub-par version if you keep going like this"

OK. Seems the changing from my defective PC to the Notebook took it's part ;)

It's indeed the opposite. It also means to continue the "growth" of the program, not turning back ;)

Correct! This version is looking great! Please don't twist my words and infer the wrong meaning to press your point :) I'v already directly contacted Simon, and offered to help him in any way I can with this. My first computer was an a800. I love the Atari 8-bit platform.

We didn't use one! Check the walltile folder. blockX.bmp has the blocks that each level uses (left, middle and right block). The levels themselves are in platX.bmp. These hold the sequence in which the platforms appear and in what positions in the screen. Green pixel=use 'left' tile, blue pixel=use 'middle' tile, red=use 'right' tile.

Actually they are not in sequence. The game picks a random row from the bmp for the next pattern, so it could be any of the rows in the platX.bmp that gets used to generate the line. Otherwise you'd play the same game over and over and that would be no fun :)

OK. Seems the changing from my defective PC to the Notebook took it's part ;)

It's indeed the opposite. It also means to continue the "growth" of the program, not turning back ;)

Hence the need to stay in hi-res :P More pixels = better since we gain no additional color. We sacrifice resolution and scrolling resolution which looks inferior.

as more as I am thinking of I am with Emkay... the score panel needs to be an overlay somehow as a separate line will disturb the overall "overlaid gfx" impression. so when the game code is finished I would sacrifice cycles for DLI and for pasting the panel into the game.

Emkay... will the "sprites will not cross the panel and disappear" not disturb that impression and will it not look cheap then again? Imho it will not look "cheaper" then a "separate scoreline"?

I guess the score could be overlayed down the bottom, it'd just mean the bonus items appear a little later.

2 characters can fit per Player, so there's 6 digits for the score, 2 for the lives.

Normally I'd say put it on the top but having objects disappear before the terrain would look cheap. Objects appearing that little bit later shouldn't matter too much.

Once the player falls "into" the score area, maybe some sort of abyss effect could be done by changing Mode 4 lines to Mode 5, then scroll in some alternate terrain that looks like ground objects and have a top view of the player falling down (sort of a Road Runner kayote falling down a canyon thing).