IGNORED

A Jaguar game with Parallax scrolling

I don't know how to design Rocks. Irgendwer also or don't want to... Simonl probably isn't good at Paint/Brush/Design Gfxs...

Where's the Rocks Gfxs. like in the Jaguar version?

Still not there ;)

Anyone show them?

NO, so we must use what we have.

Now you call it Patterns and that they aren't Rocks? Yes but why they really need to be stones.

To resemble the "original" game?

The limits are in the resolution and PM colours. Not in the game itself.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OsK4eC6rpg

The demo really resembles the original. Just how the A8 can do. So the name is valid....

Isn't the project name "Downfall"?

Or make a game with the same idea and different... more A8 type .... and give it a different name . It's fine then .

Edited by emkay

I don't know how to design Rocks. Irgendwer also or don't want to... Simonl probably isn't good at Paint/Brush/Design Gfxs...

Where's the Rocks Gfxs. like in the Jaguar version?

Still not there ;)

I also use the ' ;) ' but you are abusing it...

Why I and probably all the others don't understand.

Isn't because of English Language for sure...

You're Posts are always 'incomplete', always something more to say...

We always try to think what's in your Mind.

Like in Warner Bros: "What's up duck?"

But we probably begin not to waste our time thinking in what you are really thinking.

I agree with you many times and know or can see if you're wrong or not... at least in the way I see things.

everyone have their own Ideas.

Why not post something to prove?

Like you do with the 'Sounds' but concrete Things.

I don't have a G2F that it's really a Chars/Tile Editor and Game Mapping creator... but I continue and the coders have something mine...

We discuss eachones ideas freely.

José Pereira.

• Like 1

You're Posts are always 'incomplete', always something more to say...

LOL

I guess , I am the only one who always gives a clue, shows a real "possible" example, and gives a conclusion, if I offer an idea.

Returning to this Topic:

Yes, I may agree with you and that Rocks would look better...

If Simonl says haw many Chars we can use on each Layer then everyone can create their one Gfxs.

For Simonl it's just replace of them as his coding Engine remains the same.

Something like that PANG Editor...

I think the most important it's the Engine/ways of:

This is probably done: 2PMs. Multicoloured for the guy and one Object.

Gfxs. can be any shapes, just have to fit in nºs. Simonl is using.

(what I would like to see/change Simonl Ideas? Have the scores over Gfxs.

And at least we can re-use the Objects PMs for that

OR

Use on Scores the guy 2PMs and the Objects just scrolls behind scores.

Probably you can force the guy to 'fall down' the Scores Lines...

And yes, 2PMs. are just what we need for a 4digits score (and even have score and Hi-score))

I'll show tomorrow my idea as today I didn't have time because I spent my time in all these 'writes' ;)

I am begining liking these ' ;) '!...

José Pereira.

If Simonl says haw many Chars we can use on each Layer then everyone can create their one Gfxs.

For Simonl it's just replace of them as his coding Engine remains the same.

Something like that PANG Editor...

That's the way.

I think the most important it's the Engine/ways of:

This is probably done: 2PMs. Multicoloured for the guy and one Object.

Everything else is wasting resources.

Gfxs. can be any shapes, just have to fit in nºs. Simonl is using. D

Depending on the original game, the protagonist needs around 3*5 pixel ;)

we'll see.

Yes, I may agree with you and that Rocks would look better...

Hi Jose,

I'm sure I posted these details above, off the top of my head it's 6x4,5x3,4x2,3x2,(2),3x2,4x2,5x3,6x4 from left to right. Note that if you wanted to design any non continuous tiles they would have to have room for the "pseudo scroll" within the charset (e.g. the left column needs to offset by 4 scan lines per frame for the parallax effect) so you may find that you end up wasting a lot of chars for that, but Gr.9 graphics are an avenue I think is worth exploring.

OR

Use on Scores the guy 2PMs and the Objects just scrolls behind scores.

Probably you can force the guy to 'fall down' the Scores Lines...

And yes, 2PMs. are just what we need for a 4digits score (and even have score and Hi-score))

I'll show tomorrow my idea as today I didn't have time because I spent my time in all these 'writes' ;)

No, no, no, for the last time will people please stop telling me what I should do with my PMGs ;-)

The score line will be done with a soft scroll (not working properly yet but see attached, you get the idea). Currently platforms scroll off underneath this, I will fix this later raster time permitting.

Cheers,

Simon

post-12834-0-85076100-1309548651_thumb.png

• Like 1

Still looking cool, Simon :)

Re-image it YOUR WAY. Ignore the bickering. If other people have ideas that mean it should be developed another way, let THEM make THEIR version. If they can't do this, then just SMILE at them and move on. This is YOUR version. Have FUN doing it.

Is Downfall a 100% copy of Man Goes Does? NO.

Is Man Goes Down a 100% copy of the older game that it is based on? NO.

Can we get some moderation in this thread to remove all the negativity towards what is promising to be a fun and playable game for the little Atari? HOPEFULLY.

• Like 5

Just for the sake of it, here some GR.9 tiles. If the left side would contain some tiles from the right, I'm sure some characters for the 'waterfall' would be possible - which especially looks nice if you overlay the middle with PMG-missles like depicted below.

But please keep in mind: Proposing is much, much more easier than doing! (e.g. for the platforms, you have to 'switch off' the waterfall colour)

post-7778-0-14712700-1309564483_thumb.png

post-7778-0-34599100-1309564494_thumb.png

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 3

Still looking cool, Simon :)

Re-image it YOUR WAY. Ignore the bickering. If other people have ideas that mean it should be developed another way, let THEM make THEIR version. If they can't do this, then just SMILE at them and move on. This is YOUR version. Have FUN doing it.

Is Downfall a 100% copy of Man Goes Does? NO.

Is Man Goes Down a 100% copy of the older game that it is based on? NO.

Can we get some moderation in this thread to remove all the negativity towards what is promising to be a fun and playable game for the little Atari? HOPEFULLY.

The initial of the thread is a talk about the possibility of the game being adapted to the A8.

Simonl started doing the coding, caused by the thread. He actually posted the 1st demo as an answer to my proposal of using char rotation with vscrol.

Bickering only starts after people get personal or write senseless stuff.

And, as you might see, Simonl is picking the good stuff and adding it into the engine.

I'm out of the thread now. No fun to watch it anymore.

No, bickering started about 3 pages back with the above. Why'd you stay? :) If you feel you can do better then go ahead, what is stopping you?

Bickering is exactly what you do here. Why not just simply NOT writing stuff that has NOthing to do with the thread?

Speak for yourself, emkay.

You start the shit-flinging and someone steps in and points out your wrongdoings.

Then you act all innocent and reply with some philosophical rubbish, trying to swing the blame elsewhere.

It's a repeating pattern that's occurred here and in dozens of threads in the past.

You've got some sort of problem. You can't stand it when someone does a piece of work that exceeds your own.

You complain about the PC-based tools that you always use, rather than putting in feature requests or constructive criticism. Even in conversations where the tool in question isn't even relevant to the discussion.

• Like 8

If the left side would contain some tiles from the right, I'm sure some characters for the 'waterfall' would be possible

Just to point out the obvious:

Making the inner layers identical wouldn't be a problem. The light reflection would be (almost) the same any way.

Further, they are darker and have less detail so it wouldn't be noticed.

sincerely,

Captain Obvious :)

can't we just ignore Emkay and write the bloody game?

I mean seriously! you guys are *so* close to having a decent looking and fun game that is *finished* as a result of a collaboration. Don't let him derail you now.

I'm looking at the game now and trying to think of a direction I want to be taking the C64 version in and to be honest here I don't think I've got much scope for getting one over you folks on a technical level ;) so I'm looking at extending it with a couple of different game modes.

This shows an idea I'm toying with at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ1oA-QBflI

I'm thinking of calling the original game play mode 'infinite mode' and taking that platform coverage mechanic and applying it to the game, so in this mode ('challenge mode'?) you have a limited amount of play area which is generated upfront and the objective is to cover as much of the platform as possible, so you have the risk vs reward of falling or being crushed against running that little bit further down a platform for the extra points. Of course to balance this you might want to revisit platforms, so randomly appearing speed and direction switches might be a good idea so you can go up instead of down.

Then I started thinking that this might also lend itself to a good 2-player game where you can ram the other player off platforms, or jump on them to stun them (slowing their escape from falling off the screen), or just outright screw them by flipping the direction at a really bad moment for them.

These are ideas I have in mind for a C64 or SMS version I'd like to get around to, but if any of them were to somehow end up in the Atari version I wouldn't object :)

Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 2

Speak for yourself, emkay.

You start the shit-flinging and someone steps in and points out your wrongdoings.

Then you act all innocent and reply with some philosophical rubbish, trying to swing the blame elsewhere.

It's a repeating pattern that's occurred here and in dozens of threads in the past.

Interesting, it only happens in this community. And, it's clear enough for me to know why.

You've got some sort of problem. You can't stand it when someone does a piece of work that exceeds your own.

This is the point. This shows exactly where people project their own mind into others, like you do here.

I applause everyone who makes this better, because no one can do all at one time. If everyone does his part right, everything is ok.

Got it?

I too am enjoying the collaboration.

This: "If everyone does his part right, everything is ok." Is the problem. "right" means what people think it does, and a whole lot of that boils down to what THEY are capable of.

(goes back to watching a interesting game develop)

**The character scroll IS COOL, BTW.

• Like 1