IGNORED

Centipede Cocktail Monitor Issues

Just purchased a Centipede cocktail cabinet on CL locally for $75. It's in meh shape but the cabinet is solid and the plexi's good, etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to test on site before purchase due to it being in a storage shed. Seller told me it was working before being put in storage, and we all know how that goes.....

Anyway, get it home, it's missing fuses, that's all it needs to get powered up and working. Bonus! Monitor needs work, though, and here's where I need assistance:

post-24585-0-30063200-1309367167_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-89512200-1309367167_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-41926200-1309367168_thumb.jpgpost-24585-0-91003600-1309367168_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the preceding photos, the monitor has a variety of issues. A cap kit will do quite a bit and I'm preparing to do that ASAP, but here's the question: Is a cap kit anything but a waste of money (albeit not much money) with this particular monitor, given the issue below?

The first issue is the black spot on the monitor right near the scores. That leads me to think it's either a gun problem or a surface wear on the inside of the monitor itself. Obviously changing caps and fuses is going to do absolutely nothing to this, and I'll just end up with a nice, bright, one-black-spot monitor. Or at least that's what I'm led to believe. Is this a monitor replacement-level issue?

If not, the secondary problems are that the brightness goes in and out slightly (checking pots while it's out will be good) during gameplay and the screen is wavy. No wobbles or anything, which is good, but just that bend in the screen right in the center. It's not so bad to make the game unplayable, which is a good sign, but it's definitely problematic. Assuming the monitor doesn't need to be replaced at all due to problem #1, what's the diagnosis for this? I've looked online and have heard everything from fuse block problems to cap kit needed.

I don't want to jump the gun and instantly say a cap kit is the problem-solver, but I know it will need one anyway and it will help.

It's an original G07 in a Centipede cocktail. If I have to replace the monitor, where can I get one? I've looked around as much as possible and can't find anything. I haven't measured but it seems pretty apparent it's not a 19" monitor like the upright -- probably the 13" model, which makes it harder to find, and therefore makes me want to repair it more.

I would start with a recap and a new flyback (it is a GO7, but I think the chassis number is like Ab0 or something, not a standard 19 inch chassis). Zanen or Bob Roberts can source the parts for you.

As for the blotch, can you move the screen position around and see the numbers elsewhere on the screen? For example, adjusting the vertical hold/position will move the image slightly, if you do that do the graphics show up or does the splotch move "with" it? Curious to know

The tube may need to be "shot" with a CRT cleaning tool. Old-school TV shops could do that for you. There was a pretty big discussion years ago about swapping tv CRT's into arcades, and I think folks figured out how. Finding a replacement 13 incher from HAPP would be a better way to go than the shooting, IMHO, and you could recoup some costs by selling a working GO7 chassis recapped.

Just my .24. Good looking game for the price. PC Board is worth more than that!

Cassidy

It's a 13". Seems incredibly difficult to find a replacement. I couldn't find anything on HAPP with a 13" in it, and I've looked a few other places to no avail.

The guys at KLOV have suggested that the blotch is definitely dirt on the neck, and if I pull it I'm first going to turn it upside down and gently tap the neck to see if I can dislodge whatever it is before moving forward. I think a clean/rejuve is going to be needed, though, and that seems to be a bit spendy as well.

The splotch definitely does not interfere with gameplay, etc. If you move the adjustment you can see what's behind it, which is what leads me to belive it's a tube/phosphor issue rather than anything else.

I'm going to pull it whenever I get a good block of time off and poke around. I've never really done much with monitors and I figure this is a great opportunity to learn the ropes on it. Obviously discharging it before anyone says anything! :P :D

Worse case scenario it appears Chad has pretty good prices, thanks for the link! I can shop it out if I absolutely can't get anywhere, but I'd rather spend the $10 and recap it myself rather than $140 plus expensive shipping on a monitor to get someone else to fix it. I think I have the stones to be able to work on it myself, so we'll see! :thumbsup:

Worst case scenario I might take you up on that 13". There's minor burn-in from Centipede on here but it's completely non-visible once the game is on. How's the quality with the burn on the 13" tube? Visible while playing?

Honestly just from moving it around the splotch is a bit smaller and definitely less visible now. I think a quick very gentle tap on the tube will dislodge whatever's going on and have a clear tube. The screen bend and wave will probably need a cap kit, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

• 2 years later...

Pardon my bumping an old thread, there appears to be very little information on the internet regarding replacement of 13" monitors used in Centipede cocktail cabinets.

I purchased my Centipede cocktail cabinet back in '07 and was told by the previous owner that it had been re-capped in 2006.

The unit worked flawlessley with a bright and crisp picture for the past 5 years.

The unit has been at a friends house and his children played it occasionally. Some months ago it reportedly stopped displaying an image - there were no other issues prior to this.

It now simply has no image or any response on the monitor. The game can be heard playing, but no image.

Can anyone here offer advice as to what my options may be?

Thanks!

Edited by Koa Zo