IGNORED

N64 must-haves?

EricBall

I bought my N64 back when it was first released and played lots of Mario64 waiting for something else to be released. Now I'm thinking I should make up a wish list to build up a collection that my son (now 2) will enjoy playing.

Currently in the collection:

Mario64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, both Zeldas, both Banjos, GoldenEye and a couple I don't recall offhand.

What kid-friendly & fun titles should I look to add to my collection?

Mario Tennis maybe? Or Golf? (course, the N64 3D is looking really dated already...a 3-5 year old won't mind, but older than that and they may start comparing it to what their friends are playing. Still it's nice that the system has fairly durable carts.

Mario Tennis rocks. Perfect Dark is basically an improved Goldeneye, and is thus great too but I wouldn't call it very kid friendly. Also, check out Paper Mario (about the only good true RPG on that console), Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Snap is pretty decent and kid friendly. I had fun with Space Invaders remake for the 64, but that just may be my own bizarre tastes.

I had a real blast playing the Pokemon Stadium games with my 7 year old nephew. Eventhough I hate Pokemon, it was a good time.

I also play Smash Bros. with my neice and nephew. We get in to some pretty raging battles sometime!

Mario Tennis can be a good time too. I think the biggest thrill with my niece was that she also has it for the Gameboy, and could transfer stuff with the Transfer Pak.

Games you can play WITH a youngster seem kind of rare. The games above are just a couple I enjoyed playing with young kids.

Kirby 64 and Yoshi's Story would be good for kids... although they're not terribly challenging. Dr Mario 64 is a great game, even if it doesn't strain the system. Donkey Kong 64 is fun, although it's not as fun as Mario 64, and it requires the expansion pack.

Normally, I'd have to add Conker's Bad Fur Day to any "Best N64 Games" list... but I guess it's somewhat inappropriate in this case... :ponder:

--Zero

Kirby 64 and Yoshi's Story would be good for kids... although they're not terribly challenging. Dr Mario 64 is a great game, even if it doesn't strain the system. Donkey Kong 64 is fun, although it's not as fun as Mario 64, and it requires the expansion pack.

To the person who said Space Invaders; yeah, that is pretty good! I wrote up a FAQ for it, though I know it's incomplete.

Keep in mind this is a very young kid. How old will he be when he's playing with the system? A Yoshi's Story is a challenge for an 8 yr old, probably impossible for much younger, the best bet is games that look big and colorful and you can run around and do a bit of stuff. So a Mario or DK64 might not be a bad bet though they'll probably go nowhere in terms of getting the game actually done.

I didn't buy very many games for the N64. My fondest memories were playing Mario 64 (which was pretty groundbreaking at the time) and the first Zelda. Both are great games! I had some others, but those two are my favorites. Mario Kart is also a great deal of fun if you have some friends to play it with. The same goes for the Mario Party games (I haven't tried the new GameCube version yet).

..Al

do not miss rouge squadron! its already been mentioned of course but it really shines and should be in every N64 collection. even if you're not a big star wars fan you will enjoy this game. the control and level design on this game are near perfect. my only gripe was the "wrap tow cable around AT-AT legs" sequence which is almost impossible. i always wished somebody would have used the engine for this to make a WWII air combat game, some how its even better than rouge leader the follow up on the game cube.

do not miss rouge squadron! its already been mentioned of course but it really shines and should be in every N64 collection. even if you're not a big star wars fan you will enjoy this game. the control and level design on this game are near perfect. my only gripe was the "wrap tow cable around AT-AT legs" sequence which is almost impossible. i always wished somebody would have used the engine for this to make a WWII air combat game, some how its even better than rouge leader the follow up on the game cube.

That "some how" may be the variety of missions, that's my theory.

Though I still have to admit to prefering the GC version. Better graphics, the re-enactment of specific scenes from the movies, and then really huge battles.

Speaking of Hoth-ish scenes, I went back to Shadows of the Empire...it got everything realizing how much potential is there, but it looks (and plays) really primitive now.

Love Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, the best 2P puzzle game ever. (just squeaked out a win vs my mom in the SNES Tetris Challenge this evening) EGM mentioned something about some uber-puzzle-disc coming out for GC, with a bunch of games, all with 4 player modes.

In my opinion the one game...Other than Mario64 that blew me away was Turok. It was the 3rd game I actually went out an bought. I wouldn't consider it for a young child though.

Speaking of N64 games w/ GC counterparts, avoid Turok for the GC (or other modern systems) at all costs. It's so bad...one time I was going to Best Buy to let my cousin pick out his birthday gift video game, and he was really dithering about which one to get it, so I threatened "man, if you can't make up your mind...yer gettin' a hand me down Turok!" and he thought that was really funny, having played a bit earlier that day.

You know, the game that really got me jonseing for a N64? It wasn't Mario 64 or Mario Kart, though knowing both were there helped make the decision(esp. Kart, I was living in a house with 4 or 5 other potential gamers)-- it was Star Fox. That was a very beautiful and very fun game...Toys R Us really did Nintendo a favor (or vice versa) with those playable N64 stations in the store with that game...I just knew it was a game that wasn't happening on the other systems of the time, kind of like the original metroid back in the day.

I bought my N64 back when it was first released and played lots of Mario64 waiting for something else to be released. Now I'm thinking I should make up a wish list to build up a collection that my son (now 2) will enjoy playing.

Currently in the collection:

Mario64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, both Zeldas, both Banjos, GoldenEye and a couple I don't recall offhand.

If he's only 2 now, there aren't many titles he'll be playing right away that I would recommend myself. When he's older than 6 though he might enjoy..

Donkey Kong 64, Star Wars Episode I Racer, Super Smash Bros, Midway Arcade Classics, Harvest Moon, Mega Man 64, Turok 1 + 2, and F-Zero X (a long time personal favorite).

• 2 weeks later...

Some titles that may not have been mentioned:

Harvest Moon 64

Shadowman (if you do not have the DC or PC version)

Jet Force Gemini

Zelda: OoT

Mario Golf - the great thing about this game was that Nintendo sponsored prize tournaments online. I ended up with a ball & tee set and a transfer pak.

Rugrats Scavenger Hunt and Rugrats in Paris are great for kids as well. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and/or 3 are fun for kids to just play around with. My daughter is 7 and just loves doing Free Skate. Every couple of days I show her a new move and she does it well! I enjoy the game with her!

As for Yoshi's Story... very cute game for kids... BUT the music and sound effects will drive you bonkers after about 20 minutes :P Make sure you have headphones for them to put on!