IGNORED

Jr. Pac-Man stuck in 2600?

Jr. Pac

I was trying to play Jr. Pac-Man on my 2600, and I had to push harder than normal carts to get it into the slot, and I just got the colored shapes screen. And then the cart got almost completely stuck in my 2600. I had to force it out. I take good care of my systems. Lock'n'Chase dosen't work either (same screen as Jr. Pac-Man), but dosen't get stuck. Has this happened to anyone else? My 2600 is a L6, with channel select switch, and the date on the inside is JUL 28, 1979. And I cleaned the Lock'n'Chase 7 times, maybe more.

• Like 1

Note-- do at your own risk.

For some of my carts, they play better when not straight in, but with a little push up or down.

I think this is especially true for some carts with worn/corroded metal contacts.

To see if this works, place cart in, turn on power.

Then turn off power, push and hold up on cart a bit, turn on power while holding cart up.

Do the same while holding down. Try a few configurations. Be careful tho-- you don't want to break anything. Just push enough to get it a little snugger.

If, in some configuration, you can get it to play, you'll see it's just a bad connection.

But, if it's a blur all the time, get a new cart.

Again, do at your own risk. But, it works for me on occasion.

-John

if the majority of your other games play fine, it's probably a defect in the cart. Just get another one. It would be a cheap replacement, and you'd save yourself the agrivation.

It's my only red cart, so I don't know. I messaged the person I bought it from. It worked fine when I got it.

Edited by Jr. Pac

You have to be cautious with the red carts, as the plastic cartridge guide arms (located inside the cartridge) are notorious for not lining up properly with the female grooves located in the the cartridge slots on your console .

These black plastic prongs inside the cartridge (visible at the left and right of PCB) tend to misalign, bind up, get bent and sometimes break off entirely. Check inside the cartridge to make sure these prongs are not bent.

I found that some carts made in Honk Kong have defective molds. One of the 2 plastic "hooks" which keep the 2 halves of the shell toghether is too big and makes the cart difficult to insert on some consoles (especially the 6-switches, because the cart slot is more recessed).

post-10599-0-14029200-1310245008_thumb.jpg

If that's the problem with your cart just file down a bit the defective hook.

Here's is a picture of a fixed cart:

post-10599-0-19701400-1310245047_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's sooo tempting to get naughty with this thread.

You can't just force it. Doing so will break things and cause rub burns, making it very uncomfortable for you, your cart, and your console. Make sure everything is straight, and gently insert. If you feel resistence, pull out and try again. Move it around a bit. Keep your cart and console happy.

Oh, no lube required as long as you properly massage your console first.

Couldn't help it.

• Like 2

You have to be cautious with the red carts, as the plastic cartridge guide arms (located inside the cartridge) are notorious for not lining up properly with the female grooves located in the the cartridge slots on your console .

These black plastic prongs inside the cartridge (visible at the left and right of PCB) tend to misalign, bind up, get bent and sometimes break off entirely. Check inside the cartridge to make sure these prongs are not bent.

I found that some carts made in Honk Kong have defective molds. One of the 2 plastic "hooks" which keep the 2 halves of the shell toghether is too big and makes the cart difficult to insert on some consoles (especially the 6-switches, because the cart slot is more recessed).

post-10599-0-14029200-1310245008_thumb.jpg

If that's the problem with your cart just file down a bit the defective hook.

Here's is a picture of a fixed cart:

post-10599-0-19701400-1310245047_thumb.jpg

My prongs aren't bent and the clips are fine. I'll just have to get a replacement, then.

Gently work the cart in and out and see if it loads right. I think I might have to manipulate my Jr.PM on my light sixer to get it to slide in right. It gets hung up on something.

Take care! You do need to make sure you pull it out in time, otherwise you may find yourself with a whole bunch of baby pacs!

Is this thread for real!! :lol:

Gently work the cart in and out and see if it loads right. I think I might have to manipulate my Jr.PM on my light sixer to get it to slide in right. It gets hung up on something.

Take care! You do need to make sure you pull it out in time, otherwise you may find yourself with a whole bunch of baby pacs!

Is this thread for real!! :lol:

Actually I wear a roober when I do that.

i know on my 8bit computer carts, i would lick my finger and run it along the edges of the opening and on the thing in the middle, and this would help some of my carts... others, i would have to do it a couple times... but mostly this was in my 800... the XL didnt have this problem...

sloopy.