IGNORED

Which Console had the best games in 2002?

Punisher5.0

I'm not surprised the GC was on top. I have always thought Nintendo's ratio of releases vs. good games to be very high. I am suprised to how the GBA fared. I just got it but have been very impressed so far. Maybe people are expecting too much from a handheld vs. a dediacted console?

I am suprised to how the GBA fared.  I just got it but have been very impressed so far.

It's disappointing, but not very surprising really. Although the GBA has some gems like Metroid Fusion, there are quite a few games that are completely unimpressive. Look at the recent "Revenge Of Shinobi" as an example. It's just another bland side-scroller with absolutely nothing special about it. Games like that don't sell systems.

(Am I the only one that thinks turning Frogger into a side-scroller is an incredibly brain-dead idea?)

--Zero

When it comes to internet polls, Nintendo always comes out on top. Nintendo fans are very well organized when it comes to that kind of thing, no joke. I post in another forum with a bunch of Nintendo fanboys. I always see posts like:

"Hey guys, go to this site and vote for the GC in this poll!"

Wheather it be for best video game character, best system, best game, for a game to come out on a system, etc, Nintendo always wins. Tecmo ran an internet poll about which system should get the new Ninja Gaiden, the GC easily won. I remember all the Nintendo fanboys were crushed when it was announced for the Xbox. LOL

Yeah, but you see that kind of stuff all over the place... even here on AtariAge. More than once I've seen a poll somewhere for the best game system/company/whatever, and someone told everyone here to vote for Atari, and suddenly it gained a huge lead.

I think most companies are aware that internet polls can't really be trusted all that much. Internet petitions are even less respected.

--Zero

GC, Xbox, PS2 in that order. GC had too much stuff to buy in 2002, I'm already up to 24 titles in my collection so far! PS2 had about 3 titles worth buying, Winning Eleven 6 and GTA3:VC being two of them. It was a pretty crap year software wise for the PS2 and it still sold the most. Typical...

When it comes to internet polls, Nintendo always comes out on top.  Nintendo fans are very well organized when it comes to that kind of thing, no joke.  I post in another forum with a bunch of Nintendo fanboys.  I always see posts like:

"Hey guys, go to this site and vote for the GC in this poll!"

Wheather it be for best video game character, best system, best game, for a game to come out on a system, etc, Nintendo always wins.  Tecmo ran an internet poll about which system should get the new Ninja Gaiden, the GC easily won.  I remember all the Nintendo fanboys were crushed when it was announced for the Xbox. LOL

Rally round the flag boys, and vote for Cube!

Well.. this strategy doesn't always work. When Mega Man was in the sweet sixteen or elite eight on GameFaqs I tried to rally all the MM websites and message boards to vote for the blue bomber. I posted links on my own sites too. I did everything I could short of cheating to spike the vote.. and he +STILL+ lost by less than 1%. :(

Who really cares about the ratio releases vs. good games?Then the NES would have about 0.43565475% and so would the PS1.

But yea,most of the GC votes were because of two games,Metroid and Mario.I think all the systems had a good year,but over I would say that the PS2 had the best year,with the GC close behind. :roll: :ponder: :)

remember the gamefaqs summer character contest thing?

That contest was lame. I can't believe some of the idiotic characters that were in there. How the hell did Sephiroth get so far? As if 90% of the characters weren't better than him...

--Zero

I have a PS2 and Gamecube (lucky me) :roll:

Gamecube by far had the best games.

Metroid Prime, Phantasy Star Online, Starfox Adventures, Sonic Mega Collection, Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing (still great!) etc etc.

.....although I dig the hell out of Vice City though ;)

Yes, GC did release great games. Exept for ANIMAL CROSSING! I hate that game.

The PS2 also released great games, but I guess they didn't release as many.

2002 sucked. this was the first year in quite awhile where there were no hardware announcements of note. This year was supposed to be the year where software was king, and all these great machines were supposed to provide us with a fun game. Nintendo was the only company to even attempt to put AAA software on their machine. Sony nor Microsoft released any major noteworthy titles, instead they leaned too much on third parties to release good games. Sega had a somewhat mediocre year this year, but compared to the other big players (Namco, Konami, Capcom), they seemed to be the only company pushing the PS2 and XBox. Its ok to me though, whenever i have 50 dollars to spend on a video game, i opt to go looking for oldies.

I have a PS2 and GCN (would never buy an Xbox), and I've most certainly been playing my cube the most! Excluding my life that has been wasted on Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid have kept me busy while having fun. I think my Dreamcast has been played a lot more than my PS2 latley as well....but that's starting to change since I found Ico.

2002 sucked. this was the first year in quite awhile where there were no hardware announcements of note.

Are you bummed by the lack of hardware (which I don't think is such a big deal) or that the software didn't live up to the billing?

This year was supposed to be the year where software was king, and all these great machines were supposed to provide us with a fun game. Nintendo was the only company to even attempt to put AAA software on their machine. Sony nor Microsoft released any major noteworthy titles, instead they leaned too much on third parties to release good games.

Isn't that how Sony always works?

I mean, what is GTA:VC then?

i was looking forward to 2002. Hardware hype from Sony killed the Dreamcast despite the DC's killer lineup. I was hoping that this year would blow me away, and it didnt. I know Sony's always been about third parties, but GTA:VC isn't the second coming, its a sequel of an overrated game. There is a gaming public hungry for awesome games, and nobody's stepped up to the plate. Could 2004 be another 1984? If 2003 is a repeat of 2002 i certainly think it can be.

i was looking forward to 2002. Hardware hype from Sony killed the Dreamcast despite the DC's killer lineup. I was hoping that this year would blow me away, and it didnt.

I thing its been an ok year, esp with GC.

I know Sony's always been about third parties, but GTA:VC isn't the second coming, its a sequel of an overrated game.

Wait, before you were talking about how Nintendo had AAA titles...but they're all sequels with the odd exception.

I haven't gone back to GTA3 yet, though I'm thinking about it, but the say VC added a lot, especially in terms of the properties and the missions associated with them (plus stuff like targetting and bikes and whatnot)

There is a gaming public hungry for awesome games, and nobody's stepped up to the plate. Could 2004 be another 1984? If 2003 is a repeat of 2002 i certainly think it can be.

Nah. I think gaming companies in general are smarter than back then.

perhaps they are smarter, but greed often supercedes that. I consider myself an avid gamer, but ive been spending a lot less money on current titles. With the economy sputtering, people are going to have more important things to buy than video games. I'm not saying its a sure bet the industry will crash, but its a possibility.