IGNORED

Is the Nintendo 3DS in trouble?

Mendon

I'm one of the guys that is waiting for the 3DS Lite as simple as that.

3ds Lite? I'm not sure how much smaller a form factor you'd want but the 3DS is already plenty small :lol: That's my primary complaint about it after being spoiled by the DSi XL :) Aside from that I love it.

I think we're due for the 3DS XL anyway according to recent reports.

3ds Lite? I'm not sure how much smaller a form factor you'd want but the 3DS is already plenty small :lol: That's my primary complaint about it after being spoiled by the DSi XL :) Aside from that I love it.

Huuuuh? The thing's chunky as ****. It's fatter than an XL with screens the size of a Lite. There's so much room for improvement, it isn't funny.

• Like 1

Huuuuh? The thing's chunky as ****. It's fatter than an XL with screens the size of a Lite. There's so much room for improvement, it isn't funny.

aah k so you want it thinner.. I got ya. I guess that'd be fine.. although I really don't remember it being any thicker than a DS LIte. .and definitely not thicker than a DS Phat (which many people say they prefer for some odd reason). I wouldn't get it though if thinner.. I'd wait for the XL one :P

What kind of improvements are you suggesting?

What kind of improvements are you suggesting?

Larger screens, sleeker design, lower height. Make it look more like a DSi XL, but maybe not quite that large since people have the wacky idea that the XL's not portable enough. Putting the D-pad in a more usable location wouldn't hurt either.

• Like 1

Ok.. I realized I'm sitting here working from home with all my DS's available and realized I could just check out that claim right now! So I did, and at the very least, the 3DS is definitely slightly chunkier than the XL, but as a matter of fact the DS-Lite itself is slightly chunkier than the 3DS! :lol:

It's the bottom part with the d-pads that's the thickest on the units. and the DS-lite is just slightly larger. So I'm not sure how thin you want it. But pics (not to mention my hundreds upon hundreds of hours spent playing a DS-Lite) are here to say that the 3DS is definitely already very slightly smaller than the DS-Lite. :P

Thickness comparison: G&W, GBA-SP, DS-Lite, 3DS, DSi-XL

post-31-0-15761400-1311179809_thumb.jpg

Opened:

post-31-0-49057700-1311179311_thumb.jpg

Overall:

post-31-0-72910700-1311179320_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

On that note, my opinion still stands I would love an XL sized 3DS.. if one comes out maybe I could convince someone to get it for me as a gift rather than forking out more dough again. I'd pass on a smaller version though for sure.

I will never go back to a smaller unit so if a 3DS Xl happens I may finally get a 3DS. I'm not a big fan of it though.

Here's some interesting news about a 3DS XL.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/07/is-a-3ds-xl-incoming/

Price? If the 3DS is in trouble because it costs $250 then that doesn't bode well for the $250 and $300 PS Vita. Sure, a $250 price tag might give a parent pause when it comes to buying Junior a new handheld and I'm sure that a lot of previous Nintendo handheld sales were based on gift giving. But that same concept must also apply to Sony as well as Nintendo, so I guess only time will tell if $250 is too high a price for a handheld system.

The bottom line is that the 3DS needs more games and the Vita needs a ton of games when it is released. Neither will be successful, whether they are $100 or $250, if they don't have the games.

Mario Kart

Mario Clash (I :love: Virtual Boy)

No No A thousand times NOOOOOO!

Am I the only person on the planet who is absolutely 100% completely sick of that %$#A@ plumber!?

NOPE, I have had enough Mario to! My favorite DS games were Dementia the Ward and Moon, I have had enough of Nintendo's main character's. Oh I know the keep the systems selling (especially to kids and casual gamers) but 3rd parties brought a few titles that were original and fun and I hope to see that continue on a larger scale for the 3DS and Wii - U. Only time will tell. Admittedly I held back on 3DS also waiting for a bigger scree version but when that arrives I still won't bite unless I see at least 10 titles that I personally must have and "must have" for me will NOT be titles with Zelda, Mario, Kirby etc.

Price? If the 3DS is in trouble because it costs $250 then that doesn't bode well for the $250 and $300 PS Vita. Sure, a $250 price tag might give a parent pause when it comes to buying Junior a new handheld and I'm sure that a lot of previous Nintendo handheld sales were based on gift giving. But that same concept must also apply to Sony as well as Nintendo, so I guess only time will tell if $250 is too high a price for a handheld system.

I think that $250+ handheld gaming devices are going to be a very hard sell, in this era. People are used to multi-function devices (smartphone/etc) for less money than that, and doing a whole lot of things (in addition to games) on them. You don't have to tell me that "phone games" are generally inferior - I know that. But for the casual customer (where the real mass market and money is, not hardcore gamers like the readers of this site who'll probably buy anyway), there's not a big difference. You're going to have to compete with iPhone 5 for dollars, so your price better be significantly lower and games significantly better. Once again, I (we?) don't need convincing that phone games aren't the same thing.....the mass market does. This thing needs to be less than $100 and have awesome games that can't be played on smartphones.

Edited by wood_jl

Larger screens, sleeker design, lower height.

I like the idea of a larger screen - but at the same time I suspect it would make you have to hold 3DS XL farther away in order for the 3D effect to work, thus negating the benefits of a larger display.

Rather than list the faults of the 3DS, my answer to the original question would actually be that, in my opinion, the gaming industry is actually changing from its old business model and Nintendo seems to be stubbornly ignoring that fact, hence the various issues and pitfalls they find themselves in with regards to lackluster 3DS sales and developers cancelling their projects.

When the original DS came out, the notion of buying a cartridge for $40 and playing it on a dedicated handheld gaming device was the norm, had been that way for twenty plus years. But now we have devices in our pockets that do so much more than just gaming, and full games can be downloaded and installed to these devices for really cheap with no cartridge swapping required.

Add in the new concept of fremium-based gaming titles and online achievement tracking, and the old fashioned Nintendo model quickly begins to unravel.

Now I see a lot of developers and console manufacturers talking about switching to a subscription based model, or people like Trip Hawkins detailing how browser-based cloud gaming is the wave of the future, and I get worried that the old way of doing the business is on its final legs.

Rather than move with the times, Nintendo are plowing forward with their usual approach and assuming their fans will fund the business like they always have. Admittedly, they are and that's a shame because rewarding a company for rehashing its old titles means they will just keep doing it.

In conclusion, I watched the movies Serenity, Kick Ass, and Scott Pilgrim and I can assure you (and Nintendo) that hoping that fan interest and support will make something successful is not a good bet.

Maybe business models are changing in a sense, however, I agree with others that one of the biggest negative factors right now is the price. In comparison, the original DS sold for $150 when it was released.

I do wonder how signifigent price really is, but I would argue that it's not.

We've all seen companies do desperation price drops to move hardware, such as the case with the Jaguar. It doesn't work.

Now, a price drop, combined with a new Mario or Zelda as a pack-in would get the ball rolling.

Mario Kart

Mario Clash (I :love: Virtual Boy)

No No A thousand times NOOOOOO!

Am I the only person on the planet who is absolutely 100% completely sick of that %$#A@ plumber!?

NOPE, I have had enough Mario to! My favorite DS games were Dementia the Ward and Moon, I have had enough of Nintendo's main character's. Oh I know the keep the systems selling (especially to kids and casual gamers) but 3rd parties brought a few titles that were original and fun and I hope to see that continue on a larger scale for the 3DS and Wii - U. Only time will tell. Admittedly I held back on 3DS also waiting for a bigger scree version but when that arrives I still won't bite unless I see at least 10 titles that I personally must have and "must have" for me will NOT be titles with Zelda, Mario, Kirby etc.

Well, I don't get tired of playing good games. But that's just me :P .

We've all seen companies do desperation price drops to move hardware, such as the case with the Jaguar. It doesn't work.

Terrible example. :lolblue: :D

Was it a lousy example? Well, I try... most of what I know about the Jag (which isn't much) comes from wikipedia lore.

For the purpose of furthering my Atari education, please explain why that comparison doesn't work (seriously, not being sarcastic here).

But I still stand by about 50% of the arguement; a price drop must go hand in hand with some sweet games, and a pack-in would be nice.

Terrible example. :lolblue: :D

Was it a lousy example? Well, I try... most of what I know about the Jag (which isn't much) comes from wikipedia lore.

For the purpose of furthering my Atari education, please explain why that comparison doesn't work (seriously, not being sarcastic here).

But I still stand by about 50% of the arguement; a price drop must go hand in hand with some sweet games, and a pack-in would be nice.

Agreed.

I've shown my 3DS to just about every person at school, and every single one of them liked it, and wanted to buy one. However, even by the time school ended, I still never got a StreetPass tag at school, let alone saw someone else using a 3DS that wasn't mine. So it's not an issue with the system itself, it's probably the price, and maybe even the marketing.

That's what Sega did with the Saturn. They started throwing the system at people for $50 along with 3 free games. It worked out well for them.

wait...

First off, IMO, the 3DS should not have been $250. I'm not talking about a price drop. It's a freakin' handheld. It shouldn't have been that price to begin with.

In regards to the comparison of the Jaguar, sure, I'll name a few reasons I feel it was a bad one. First, the Jag barely had the same kind of popularity or sales the 3DS has had so far. For instance, the Jag sold a couple hundred thousand units total, whereas the 3DS has managed 3 million+ units worldwide in the short period of time it's been available. Second, by the time of the Jaguar's price drop, the marketplace it was in was ridiculously cluttered, whereas the 3DS is mostly in its own field with little competition (the DS and PSP are dying). It's the new tech on the block until the Vita is released. To put it in perspective, the Jaguar had to compete with the SNES, Genesis, CD-i, 3DO, Neo-Geo, Turbo DUO, NES, and of course the Saturn and PlayStation which were right around the corner.

First off, IMO, the 3DS should not have been $250. I'm not talking about a price drop. It's a freakin' handheld. It shouldn't have been that price to begin with.

When iPhones were all the rage a couple of years ago, they were $200 along with a 2 year contract which required a monthly payment. Without that contract the things were $400 and up. I can't tell you how many people I know who bought those things despite not using ANY of it's features.

I don't think price plays anywhere near the role in early adoption that some people believe it does.

• Like 1