IGNORED

Compact 5200 System

wt808

Is it even possible to plug in a cart with its shell in place? That cartridge slot looks very cramped. Here's the original distance between the cart slot and the 4-ICs (pic).

This would make a great second home for the 5200's proprietary chips from otherwise fried units - Cafeman has a few.

post-17239-0-39617600-1311642407_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the interest, positive feedback, and warm welcome. Being a stay-at-home Dad, it takes me a while to read and respond, but I'll try to answer all of your posted questions.

Q. How about a handheld version?

A. I designed this with a handheld version in mind. It can be powered by a battery pack or car battery, with attached LCD and single player controls in one unit. I have an LCD and I designed a hand controller PCB, but haven't assembled them yet.

Q. Alternative mounts to fit a 7800 or Flashback shell, or 5200 trackball controller?

A. By extending the ports with short lengths of cable and adapters, there are all sorts of possibilities.

Q. Will a cartridge with shell fit?

A. Only with a raised cartridge adapter taller than the one that I'm currently using. Note that the tabs that open the dust cover on the cartridge are on the upper plastic shell. An adapter can be made to allow insertion/removal of a cartridge, but for the pictured version, I was shooting for the smallest overall size.

Q. How about an 8-bit computer version?

A. I started work on an 8-bit computer version at the same time, keeping the same footprint, but when I got to the peripheral connectors, the cost doubled and the routing was very hairy. I might revisit this later as I would love to have one too.

Q. Any way to add more RAM?

A. It has 32KB RAM but 16KB overlaps the cartridge area. Some bit of work is required to get to the extra memory.

Q. Will you make a Colecovision board?

A. I would love to remake every system from this era, but each takes a lot of time and effort. I have a working NES handheld prototype to finish, after which I might revisit the Atari 8-bit computer.

Q. Are you going to sell these?

A. It's expensive to build and difficult to hand-solder, I'm not equipped to build these in quantity, and certain 5V components are getting harder to obtain. I came to this realization early on, so although it looks like a finished product, I built it mainly for myself to prove that it can be done. In low quantities, it would probably be several hundred dollars US for an assembled board. I might build one if someone *really really* wants one, and there would be a wait to get components and a block of free time. For now, I'll keep gauging interest but no immediate plans.

Hope that covers all of the questions. I'll check back later for more.

Thanks everyone for the interest, positive feedback, and warm welcome. Being a stay-at-home Dad, it takes me a while to read and respond, but I'll try to answer all of your posted questions.

Q. How about a handheld version?

A. I designed this with a handheld version in mind. It can be powered by a battery pack or car battery, with attached LCD and single player controls in one unit. I have an LCD and I designed a hand controller PCB, but haven't assembled them yet.

Q. Alternative mounts to fit a 7800 or Flashback shell, or 5200 trackball controller?

A. By extending the ports with short lengths of cable and adapters, there are all sorts of possibilities.

Q. Will a cartridge with shell fit?

A. Only with a raised cartridge adapter taller than the one that I'm currently using. Note that the tabs that open the dust cover on the cartridge are on the upper plastic shell. An adapter can be made to allow insertion/removal of a cartridge, but for the pictured version, I was shooting for the smallest overall size.

Q. How about an 8-bit computer version?

A. I started work on an 8-bit computer version at the same time, keeping the same footprint, but when I got to the peripheral connectors, the cost doubled and the routing was very hairy. I might revisit this later as I would love to have one too.

Q. Any way to add more RAM?

A. It has 32KB RAM but 16KB overlaps the cartridge area. Some bit of work is required to get to the extra memory.

Q. Will you make a Colecovision board?

A. I would love to remake every system from this era, but each takes a lot of time and effort. I have a working NES handheld prototype to finish, after which I might revisit the Atari 8-bit computer.

Q. Are you going to sell these?

A. It's expensive to build and difficult to hand-solder, I'm not equipped to build these in quantity, and certain 5V components are getting harder to obtain. I came to this realization early on, so although it looks like a finished product, I built it mainly for myself to prove that it can be done. In low quantities, it would probably be several hundred dollars US for an assembled board. I might build one if someone *really really* wants one, and there would be a wait to get components and a block of free time. For now, I'll keep gauging interest but no immediate plans.

Hope that covers all of the questions. I'll check back later for more.

Q: Would you ever consider working with other homebrew hardware makers to (mass produce) this?

Q: And this is for the community and its in 2 parts..

1a: If mass production was possible, what would u REALISTICALLY PAY for this item.

1B: Is there anyone out there who knows someone who could mass produce this in a cost effective and most of all have a quality control better then the Chinese?

Q: have you ever considered making a controller for this that is not a total piece of crap? or at least a way to start and pause And reset the games without the controller?

If system boards can be made this small, I wonder how long it will be before we get an 'All in One' type system that can do 2600, 5200, 8-bit, and 7800 games? All you'd need are four mini boards and three slots (two if you cut out the 8-bit).

It boggles my mind how people can make things like this. I have trouble with even basic soldering. :dunce:

Tempest

• Like 1

It boggles my mind how people can make things like this. I have trouble with ever basic soldering. :dunce:

Tempest

I wast just thinking the same thing.

Yeah, I am really in awe of people who are so mechanically inclined, that's never been a gift of mine. I also think this is a really cool way to keep gaming relevant.

Now, can you take my iPhone and make it the size of a 5200?

• Like 1

If system boards can be made this small, I wonder how long it will be before we get an 'All in One' type system that can do 2600, 5200, 8-bit, and 7800 games? All you'd need are four mini boards and three slots (two if you cut out the 8-bit).

It boggles my mind how people can make things like this. I have trouble with even basic soldering. :dunce:

Tempest

I'd think you could get it right now, there's just no interest from any of those clone makers.

Many kudos to the OP who was able to do this.

• 3 weeks later...