IGNORED

Compact 5200 System

wt808

I'm considering selling bare PCBs that you can assemble into controllers. I'm adding provisions to build it with a D-pad or as a paddle controller, and turbo fire is optional. The bare PCBs will also be useful for those who want to build custom controllers or arcade controls, although I also have a new design for a low-cost digital adapter that could be used for the same thing. They will come with instructions and a shopping list of parts.

Some things to note are that the short-throw thumbstick is not ideal for some games and you might need to adjust the joystick centering on the console. In particular, Super Breakout is nearly impossible to play, and Missile Command is not as precise as with the original controller. Otherwise I have put the original controllers in a box and not looked back. My thumbs don't hurt, buttons always register when pressed, and the stick returns to center when released. They are also easy and inexpensive to repair using readily-available parts.

I'm not ready to take orders yet, but I'll post in a new thread when I have details.

• Like 5

I'm considering selling bare PCBs that you can assemble into controllers. I'm adding provisions to build it with a D-pad or as a paddle controller, and turbo fire is optional. The bare PCBs will also be useful for those who want to build custom controllers or arcade controls, although I also have a new design for a low-cost digital adapter that could be used for the same thing. They will come with instructions and a shopping list of parts.

Some things to note are that the short-throw thumbstick is not ideal for some games and you might need to adjust the joystick centering on the console. In particular, Super Breakout is nearly impossible to play, and Missile Command is not as precise as with the original controller. Otherwise I have put the original controllers in a box and not looked back. My thumbs don't hurt, buttons always register when pressed, and the stick returns to center when released. They are also easy and inexpensive to repair using readily-available parts.

I'm not ready to take orders yet, but I'll post in a new thread when I have details.

I don't see any trim pots. Are they on there?

Awesome - what about the "mini-5200" unit itself? Something similar?

I know of no other homebrew hardware of this complexity that is offered as a DIY kit or bare PCB, and I cannot provide assembly support. I have not been able to figure out how to produce these at reasonable cost. In addition to parts and materials cost, there's also 30 hours of assembly time for each. Whether I do it myself or send the parts out for automated assembly, that's a lot of cost and effort for a 5200.

I don't see any trim pots. Are they on there?

Do you mean on the controller or 5200? There are 2 pots in back of the mainboard, one for joystick centering and the other for color delay. The controller does not have trim pots.

Yes for 8-bit, but they will not be based on these 5200 boards. For compactness with a decent-sized keyboard and accessory ports, it is hard to beat something like the 600XL and 800XL.

True, a 600XL is pretty compact, but not without it's need for upgrading/modding.

I was assuming you'd be making something similar to what you have here, but with a PS/2 port, or similar, for attaching a separate keyboard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also a lurker who just came on board to specifically give praise for these devices! I want one of those controllers so badly I'm almost on fire! wt808, make it happen!

The work wt808 has done on this is amazing. It really fits the saying "labor of love"

However, before anyone sets themselves on fire - you should look into adapting a PC gamepad to your 5200. All it takes is 2 capacitors, some wire and some 15 pin connectors. There's lots of info on that type of adapter on this board. That should keep the flames at bay until you have a chance to order up something like the controller in this thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...