IGNORED

Atari Lists

SlowCoder

We have both a light and heavy 2600 list floating around. Post your serial and specs about it and * hopefully * the OP will update the list.

I think this method of data collection is haphazard at best. Not that people would intentionally post incorrect data, but that the maintainer might stop updating because they've moved on to other things, or because someone who listed theirs 2 years ago sold theirs, but didn't bother to update it in the list.

Don't get me wrong, I think this kind of data is good for historical and academic purposes, but I think we need to find a better way to keep it.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps some automated site that collects the data from owners, including things like whether the system is intended for collection, or will eventually be sold. If someone says it's part of their collection, the serial remains listed for 2 years, and if for sale, 6 months. Owners would need to periodically log in to maintain their listing, and if they don't the serials enter "historical data/archival" mode. If someone new posts the same serial, maybe the site emails the last owner asking if the ownership was transferred.

We have both a light and heavy 2600 list floating around. Post your serial and specs about it and * hopefully * the OP will update the list.

I think this method of data collection is haphazard at best. Not that people would intentionally post incorrect data, but that the maintainer might stop updating because they've moved on to other things, or because someone who listed theirs 2 years ago sold theirs, but didn't bother to update it in the list.

Don't get me wrong, I think this kind of data is good for historical and academic purposes, but I think we need to find a better way to keep it.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps some automated site that collects the data from owners, including things like whether the system is intended for collection, or will eventually be sold. If someone says it's part of their collection, the serial remains listed for 2 years, and if for sale, 6 months. Owners would need to periodically log in to maintain their listing, and if they don't the serials enter "historical data/archival" mode. If someone new posts the same serial, maybe the site emails the last owner asking if the ownership was transferred.

While that might be a good idea, I wouldn't be using it. It would take me HOURS to dig all that stuff out again. :roll:

While that might be a good idea, I wouldn't be using it. It would take me HOURS to dig all that stuff out again. :roll:

Just how many consoles do you have?

You don't really want to know my full inventory. ;)

Edited by zylon

I'll PM you my inventory if you really must know on condition that it stays quiet. ;) I've hung on to more than usual because of the price of chips.(IC's) I can usually get whole deck for price of new TIA :(

Edited by zylon

I'll PM you my inventory if you really must know on condition that it stays quiet. ;) I've hung on to more than usual because of the price of chips.(IC's) I can usually get whole deck for price of new TIA :(

I don't NEED to know, was just curious. I've seen pics of some folks console stacks, up to the ceiling. One wonders how they don't get killed trying to move stuff around.

I remember reading a post a few months back that had how many and what kind of Atari models ppl on here had...I think I posted on it what I had at the time...some ppl had over 100's of consoles!!!

I forget what post that was :ponder:

I myself have 2 light 6-switchers (Original (fixed by me thankx to zylon), 3-way modded (S-vid-AV, LED, Pause), vader, Heavy 6-switch (currently in process of fixing)

I don't NEED to know, was just curious. I've seen pics of some folks console stacks, up to the ceiling. One wonders how they don't get killed trying to move stuff around.

about 1/10th total Atari inventory, or 1/5th vcs stock

Back on topic, if we track systems; it should only be unique or special models and not regular millions-produced stuff.

post-25215-0-12115200-1311792991_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Any suggestions?

If the OP abandons the list someone can volunteer to update it. I don't think it really matters if someone sells a light or heavy. It is the information about the unit that is important.

about 1/10th total Atari inventory, or 1/5th vcs stock

You're not running out of chips any time soon. :P

Back on topic, if we track systems; it should only be unique or special models and not regular millions-produced stuff.

I was figuring if a tool was designed, it could include any model Atari console, and clones. That way people could have bragging rights. (You'd be upper echelon, apparently. ;))

If the OP abandons the list someone can volunteer to update it. I don't think it really matters if someone sells a light or heavy. It is the information about the unit that is important.

But the heavy list sat for years without being updated. The author apparently disappeared, and it took a long time for someone to volunteer. If a separate tool was created, each person would be responsible for their own listing.

UPDATE: So I talked to both Wester and ApolloBoy and ApolloBoy is still gonna keep track of the light 6-switch list, and Wester said that I can take over the Heavy 6-switch List.

So now I'm gonna keep track of the Heavy 6-switch list...after I finish updating the current list from 2009-present I'm gonna start a new thread with the updated list from here on out. :)

No problem! I will also post on here and the 'old' heavy 6-switch forum when I'm completely up to date...actually come to think of it I was originally planning on starting two new forums: one to discuss a more structured format for keeping these records, and one of an updated forum that I will start to continue the list.

BUT since thins forum is up why don't we discuss the structured format here?

For example I think it should be set up as follows: (Note: I am keeping the updated list in MS Excel)

Serial # / AA Member or Owner / CH Select Switch / Channel Hole / MFG Date / Notes

Thanks, Mark T. Now my Heavy Sixer can finally be included!

zylon: I agree! I think the serial #'s are good enough to determine when it was manufactured since they apparently started with #'s then went to their lettering scheme on the 6th character of the serial number.

I also think stating it is a Sunnyvale or not is pointless since the Taiwan models ONLY have a "T" in the serial number...not 100% sure if that's correct but that is my assumption. So I think only stating Taiwan only and by default will be Sunnyvale.

Also, Update: I have caught up with the data in the heavy 6-switch thread!!! I haven't organized by serial number tho, I just appended the new serial numbers at the bottom of what was posted in post #2 from 2009.

I will post what I have thus far...date is wrong it should be the 30th

Also +, should I continue with organizing the serial numbers from early to latest? Anyone know the 'timeline' scheme for the serial numbers?

Thanks!!!

Atari Age - List of Atari 2600 Heavy 6-Switch Consoles (07-29-2011).xls

The letter suffixes are production runs regardless of location. The numbers only units came afterwards. Taiwan units had channel switch, sunnyvales didn't at first. The letter suffixes carried on into L6er production as well. Look at that list and you'll see. Sears units had letters later in the alphabet RSTUV, etc while Atari units used earlier letters EFGH, etc.