IGNORED

Atari Lists

SlowCoder

zylon: I agree! I think the serial #'s are good enough to determine when it was manufactured since they apparently started with #'s then went to their lettering scheme on the 6th character of the serial number.

I also think stating it is a Sunnyvale or not is pointless since the Taiwan models ONLY have a "T" in the serial number...not 100% sure if that's correct but that is my assumption. So I think only stating Taiwan only and by default will be Sunnyvale.

Ack! No. Every piece of information provided for a given console should be recorded, and you should encourage people to provide as much information as possible when reporting their H6ers. Much of the idea for creating the H6er list was to try and piece together the order of release from that sort of information, and to generate a timeline for when certain runs were produced and certain features appeared.

• Like 1

zylon: I agree! I think the serial #'s are good enough to determine when it was manufactured since they apparently started with #'s then went to their lettering scheme on the 6th character of the serial number.

I also think stating it is a Sunnyvale or not is pointless since the Taiwan models ONLY have a "T" in the serial number...not 100% sure if that's correct but that is my assumption. So I think only stating Taiwan only and by default will be Sunnyvale.

Ack! No. Every piece of information provided for a given console should be recorded, and you should encourage people to provide as much information as possible when reporting their H6ers. Much of the idea for creating the H6er list was to try and piece together the order of release from that sort of information, and to generate a timeline for when certain runs were produced and certain features appeared.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

lol ok then!

We need to decide what data is relevant and what is irrelevant. I think for the new format it should be simple but retain as much information as possible. That way we won't have to worry about disorganization and lack of certain information.

So since its in MS Excel...here are the IMPORTANT columns that are needed:

Serial #

MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan)<-Like a T/F statement but S/F

MFG Serial #

Owner/AA Member

A/B Channel Switch (True/False)

A/B Channel Slot (True/False)

Operational (True/False)

Notes

Any ideas on that?

Edited by Mark T

Me being Mr. Anal, I think it would be interesting to have notes about general whereabouts, physical condition (broken/cracked case), and specific notes about operation problems like broken or nonoperational switches.

I will be resetting up my personal web server soon for some other projects I've been working on, and think I will mock up a site for this info. I'm not trying to steal Mark's thunder in any way, just trying to do my part.

SlowCoder: We could also incorporate that info in my MS Excel spreadsheet...for example:

We could update the following:

Owner/AA Member/Location -> ex: Mark T, laurel springs, nj...speaking of a few entries have location already

broken is already in operational status.

Condition like cracked case could always go in Notes section.

Anything else we could add?

Don't worry I get anal too sometimes that's why I'm asking everyone what they would like to include as relevant information rather then how currently entries have information about location and switch info and a lot don't.

I don't think you need to make another site with the info...I think what we have currently will be good. Just as long as we all come to a unanimous decision about what to include in the list will be good. If you want to make the site for backup purposes then that's fine.

I also PM'ed Al letting him know that Wester allowed me to take over the Heavy 6-switch list and to lock the current list post. I still haven't heard back from him yet.

I will also set up an easy copy and paste template for entering information for me to update the list once I create the new List post. I hope everyone will enjoy the new format once started.

A broken console...or should I have it worded differently? Like non-functional, defective, etc.

I personally think the (working? True or False) portion would serve well for this purpose.

or even (functional? True or False)

or we could use your suggestion:(Operational? True or False)

damn soo many choices! lol

broken is already in operational status

What is "broken"?

Edited by Mark T

I think that all information is relevant. Has it been refurbished? Is it made out of parts of two or more different Heavy Sixers? Any modifications? First time owner? Been to an Atari service center? From who or where was it purchased? Vent holes? Does it have Heavy Sixer joysticks, paddles, driving controllers, original gate fold games CIB, owners manual, and/or original box? Weight of entire console and RF shield? Original paint or did slowcoder get bored?.....

Schizophretard: LMAO! Now your going overboard.

There is a section in my list for consoles that have been mixed and matched with different parts...that's the other section. Which will include, different sets of data: Modification, separate parts.

What I will add to the list: refurbished (since they use a completely new serial number (silver label), vent holes.

I think first time owner is irrelevant since I already have current owner...I will list previous owner if applicable in the owner section.

CIB and if it has all the original paddles, etc. could go in could be used for notes section.

I think the weight part is irrelevant too.

Schizophretard: LMAO! Now your going overboard.

There is a section in my list for consoles that have been mixed and matched with different parts...that's the other section. Which will include, different sets of data: Modification, separate parts.

What I will add to the list: refurbished (since they use a completely new serial number (silver label), vent holes.

I think first time owner is irrelevant since I already have current owner...I will list previous owner if applicable in the owner section.

CIB and if it has all the original paddles, etc. could go in could be used for notes section.

I think the weight part is irrelevant too.

I don't know about going overboard. My O.C.D. is a pretty big boat. Besides, I'm trying to make your job harder. :D

Christophero Sly, SlowCoder, & Schizophretard:

So here is an updated data set list that I have come up with:

Serial #

MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan)<-Like a T/F statement but S/F

MFG Serial #

Switchboard/Motherboard Revision #

Refurbished

Owner/AA Member/Location

A/B Channel Switch (True/False)

A/B Channel Slot (True/False)

Functional (True/False)

Notes (Display only, parts fixed,...)

Paper taped on the inside I don’t think is relevant. I think that’s just if the board was sent out to become fixed…not 100% sure tho.

I put display only in the notes section since not a lot of ppl own one of those :D

How come my buddy zylon hasn’t chimed in with any ideas?

Edited by Mark T

I still don't know what the $%&@ lists like these are supposed to accomplish :?

Enlighten me.

Create a record of transitional forms.

And what purpose does any of it serve? I am with Nukey Shay on this. I have never seen the importance of people listing their makes, models, and serial numbers on some barely maintained forum thread. I listed my VCS serial numbers a couple years ago, and wondered what for. Is this going to be some type of searchable database sometime in the distant future? Even if that occurs, what purpose does any of it serve?

• Like 1

Because I'm no longer buying H6ers unless I'm blowing them out quickly. ;) I kept 3 and they're already on list.

I will offer an odd thing to look for: cart slot internal color. The plastic inside slot came in 2 colors, green and white. Green ones were first but found to be unreliable so whenever a system was serviced, the connector was replaced with the white ones. So far, I've only found green ones on Sunnyvale decks up till early 1979.

Tz101: I think it is mostly for historical reasons? It seems that Al wants to keep it going and since it hasn’t been updated since 2009 I decided to take over. Don’t worry I will maintain it on a regular basis and will post if something were to come up. I added yours to the currently updated one I posted on pg 1 I believe?

I will see if Al can pin my new list so that it will be the first thing ppl see when they search the 2600 forums. Thus far he hasn’t responded to any of my PM's :(

Zylon: Also don’t forget your TONS of Sears Heavy 6-Switchers :D

Hmm I never noticed that before? Do you have a pic of what it looks like? I can’t imagine it off the top of my head.

Sounds like something that could be added to the notes section or have it's own section :ponder:

I still don't know what the $%&@ lists like these are supposed to accomplish :?

Enlighten me.

Create a record of transitional forms.

And what purpose does any of it serve? I am with Nukey Shay on this. I have never seen the importance of people listing their makes, models, and serial numbers on some barely maintained forum thread. I listed my VCS serial numbers a couple years ago, and wondered what for. Is this going to be some type of searchable database sometime in the distant future? Even if that occurs, what purpose does any of it serve?

Part of collecting is knowing variations, when those variations were made, how rare each variation is, the history of the variation, who to purchase the variation from.... From a gamers point of view all Ataris are clones. From a collectors point of view all Ataris are individuals.

Tz101: I think it is mostly for historical reasons? It seems that Al wants to keep it going and since it hasn’t been updated since 2009 I decided to take over. Don’t worry I will maintain it on a regular basis and will post if something were to come up. I added yours to the currently updated one I posted on pg 1 I believe?

I will see if Al can pin my new list so that it will be the first thing ppl see when they search the 2600 forums. Thus far he hasn’t responded to any of my PM's :(

Zylon: Also don’t forget your TONS of Sears Heavy 6-Switchers :D

Hmm I never noticed that before? Do you have a pic of what it looks like? I can’t imagine it off the top of my head.

Sounds like something that could be added to the notes section or have it's own section :ponder:

They're all in there. :) I mostly focus on L6ers. :) I don't believe I have any more green connector boards that haven't been upgraded. Just look into the cart slot. You'll either see the contacts in white plastic or green. The green ones had a softer metal which wore out much faster than Atari wanted so the shift to the stronger white ones was made.

If it was just going to be some sort of social register of who owns a H6er, I agree, it would be pointless. But if we can gather detailed information about each console, then the list becomes a valuable historical reference.

BTW, I didn't mean to (+1) your post. My hand slipped when I went to click reply. Not that I have anything against your opinion, I just don't share it.

So I finally put the up to date data set in MS word:

Atari 2600 Heavy 6 Switch List

Data Set:

A. Serial #

B. MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan)<-Like a T/F statement but S/F

C. MFG Serial #

D. Switchboard/Motherboard Revision #

E. Refurbished

F. Owner/AA Member/Location

G. A/B Channel Switch (True/False)

H. A/B Channel Slot (True/False)

I. Functional (True/False)

J. Notes (Display only, parts fixed, green connector)

I plan to have this data set finalized by the end of the week cos next week I'm going on vacation and if I get bored enough I'll update the current data with the updated data then once I get back the new Heavy 6-switch forum will be ready to go :)

Any final thoughts on the data?

So I finally put the up to date data set in MS word:

Data Set:

A. Serial #

B. MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan)<-Like a T/F statement but S/F

C. MFG Serial #

E. Refurbished

F. Owner/AA Member/Location

G. A/B Channel Switch (True/False)

H. A/B Channel Slot (True/False)

I. Functional (True/False)

J. Notes (Display only, parts fixed, green connector)

I plan to have this data set finalized by the end of the week cos next week I'm going on vacation and if I get bored enough I'll update the current data with the updated data then once I get back the new Heavy 6-switch forum will be ready to go :)

Any final thoughts on the data?

I like the data. Will it be the same for Light 6ers? It might be useful to make a diagram showing where all the revisions are shown and where the channel select slot is for people who are new to this.

Jr. Pac: I was gonna do both Heavy and Light but ApolloBoy wants to keep doing the Light 6-Switch list.

So I'm only specializing in the Heavy 6-switch list. I will note what to look for once I finalize the data set and the worksheet...the worksheet is gonna simplify the adding of data...it will be a black sheet that you will fill out and paste back into the forum...so there will be no confusion of what information you need to add...if you don't know a specific item then that's fine...I hope everyone likes the easier simplified Heavy 6-switch list :)

• Like 1

Ok so here is an updated list of the data set:

Data Set:

A. Serial #

B. MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan)<-Like a Y/N statement but S/F

C. MFG Serial #

E. Refurbished

F. (Owner/AA Member), Location

G. A/B Channel Slot (Yes/No)

H. A/B Channel Switch (Yes/No)

I. Functional (Yes/No)

J. Notes (Previous owner, display only, parts fixed, green connector)

Data Set Special:

A. Serial #:

B. Two Sticker (Yes/No)

C. (Owner/AA Member), Location

D. A/B Channel Slot (Yes/No)

E. A/B Channel Switch (Yes/No)

F. Mix Matched Parts (Case)

G. Mix Matched Parts (Switchboard)

H. Mix Matched Parts (Motherboard)

I. Functional (Yes/No)

J. Notes (Previous owner, display only, parts fixed, green connector)