IGNORED

War of the Worlds collection

save2600

This looks interesting! I have been a big fan of the Orson Welles broadcast and the '50s movie since I was a lil kid. How have I missed the fact that there was a musical?

Edit: wow, there are two IPhone apps based on the musical version.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

Edit: wow, there are two IPhone apps based on the musical version.

I_did_not_know_that!

A quick search reveled an interactive book for the iPad (not based on the musical) that looks really cool and the other seems to be some kind of iPhone app that *is* based on the musical. Cool stuff!

rmaerz! You're missing out! http://www.furyunlimited.com/_sgg/m1m2_1.htm

Warrior, War of the Worlds, Sundance...I, Cyborg is even back for another batch. George Pelonis is about to have lots of my money :)

I didn't see Sundance listed

I'd like to pick up Warrior and War Of the Worlds. Is the page current reflecting Warrior to be released this October?

BTW, within the last 6 months or so I saw a Warrior cabinet show up on eBay. If memory serves it fetched $700.

You just need a Cinematronics War Of the Worlds cabinet - good luck finding that one! :)

Already have a buddy in Chicago with one. Problem is, he wants $2500 for it and it's literally just rotting away in a storage shed last time I asked. Has a spare color monitor for it too. Not too excited about a rusted/busted machine for that kind of scratch and IIRC, doesn't have any sideart either. Even if it were showroom mint, had all its sideart, color monitor and mods competently installed... I dunno. In the meantime and for $40, the Vec translation is more than adequate ;)

Chuck, you can usually find the CD on ePay, but looks like iTunes has the full album available for download too. Of course, even the higher AAC sampling rate isn't going to do the recording justice, but at least it's available instantly if you want to jump right in. Be sure to set aside some time and listen to it all the way through upon first listen :)

YES! Definitely be sure to just listen through the whole album. It's a rock opera by far, in the traditional sense of the term -- you have to listen to the complete album in one sitting for the full effect.

You can always do a YouTube track listing for "Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds" and whatever track you're interested in -- Forever Autumn was the hit song from the album and is a great one-off introduction. It is absolutely PHENOMENAL. The "Ulla" of the Martians is still very haunting after all these years..... :love: :love:

I'm going to have to look into those books. The Global Dispatches one looks VERY good indeed, and the Sherlock Holmes one has to have a very unique twist on the tale! :thumbsup:

I decided to do it up right and bought the vinyl off eBay for $15 including the shipping. Not much more than iTunes and I get the album to display. The CD's seems to be running $30-40 on eBay and one crazy bastard had it available for $98 on half.com. I will report after I give it a listen.

• Like 1

WOOT :thumbsup:

although I must say Phil Lynott diasapointed somewhat.

That sucks. Was it just a different style than you are used to from him, or one of those times where he just sounds disinterested? For me, the disparity between the great Thin Lizzy songs and the poor ones was pretty big.

Does the vinyl have the booklet? Make absolutely sure it has the booklet. The artwork is absolutely AMAZING on the vinyl cover and it comes with a multi-page booklet with lyrics and additional art pieces.

F**K!! Doesn't say. I'll ask, but it's paid for now. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1103966072841?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110396607284&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

although I must say Phil Lynott diasapointed somewhat.

Huh?!? By dying at an early age you mean? Surely his double-bass plucking kicks ass. Very haunting. Love his contribution to the album.

Shame David Essex is gone too. Would have been nice to have the original lineup with Julie Covington, et al for the Live! tour.

Awesome you bought the LP Chuck D. Head! Was going to recommend that originally, but figured you didn't have a turntable since only elitist snobs appreciate better sound. That's what the Half-Speed mastered LP is for I guess. :lol:

Awesome you bought the LP Chuck D. Head! Was going to recommend that originally, but figured you didn't have a turntable since only elitist snobs appreciate better sound. That's what the Half-Speed mastered LP is for I guess. :lol:

I have an awesome turntable; but is it better sound? Mebbe not.... Mine is old-school, literally..from a school auction. It is in a rugged case with removable lid and plays from 16rpm through 78. Just one big speaker in the sucker, though, so I will have to break out the headphones to listen in stereo. If things dont actually sound better to me on vinyl, I will guarantee that they FEEL better.

My comments are in jest. They harken back to a time when I was called out for being an elitist for being into high-end audio, chastising the industry and observing the silly consumer patterns of today.

Anywho... the original CD from the late 80's through the early 90's (read: not remastered) sounds excellent. I've done focused listening comparisons between the two formats on nice gear and damn... the CD represents just about the best example of digital transfer I've ever heard. It's_that_good.

Can't say the same about the SACD release, although it's nice to have because it features a slightly different mix from the original AND has a bunch of additional intrumentation thrown in. Some of it a little "ghetto" in the bass department, but that's to be expected. Sony wanted a really kick ass demonstration disc for multi-channel SACD and Jeff Wayne delivered.

i like the jeff wayne version - own 2 copies of the cd and played the pc game forever- though it was buggy ass hell.

the pc game has nice soundtrack. i pulled the tracks off of it and have it on my ipod.

i understand Jeff Wayne was working on an animated feature at one point.

Edited by raskar42
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got it! The album did not have the book, but was in good shape. I listened to it today and it was great! Last months (July '11) Retro Gaming Roundup podcast had what must be "bloopers" or "faux bloopers" with Richard Burton interspersed throughout the podcast. Just did not know what it was when I heard it the first time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...