IGNORED

What is going to happen with all your collection after you die?

amiman99

If I die unexpectedly anytime in the next 20 years, I imagine my gaming collection will be the least of my family's concerns, so whatever happens, happens. I know my wife will want the closet space back, for sure.

Well they won't care right away, but if you've ever had to take care of a relatives estate, it can be a big concern eventually. I know it makes me a little sad to think of my wife trying to deal with that at some point. On one hand, she would be sentimental about it, and would be heartbroken to see it all go. She's been right along side of me the whole way so she knows how I feel about my collections and while she understands my enthusiasm, she doesn't share it 100%. I'm just afraid she will get ripped off trying to liquidate it just to move on. I've got some valuable pieces (not just games, but guitars, vintage toys, ect.) but most people in that state of mind just don't think about it at the time.

Now that I think about it, I'd think that an estate sale company might be a pretty good way to go.

If I die unexpectedly anytime in the next 20 years, I imagine my gaming collection will be the least of my family's concerns, so whatever happens, happens. I know my wife will want the closet space back, for sure.

Well they won't care right away, but if you've ever had to take care of a relatives estate, it can be a big concern eventually. I know it makes me a little sad to think of my wife trying to deal with that at some point. On one hand, she would be sentimental about it, and would be heartbroken to see it all go. She's been right along side of me the whole way so she knows how I feel about my collections and while she understands my enthusiasm, she doesn't share it 100%. I'm just afraid she will get ripped off trying to liquidate it just to move on. I've got some valuable pieces (not just games, but guitars, vintage toys, ect.) but most people in that state of mind just don't think about it at the time.

Now that I think about it, I'd think that an estate sale company might be a pretty good way to go.

Yes, I have had to, I understand it's a big deal, not trying to minimize that at all. By "will be the least of my family's concerns", I was alluding to the fact that hopefully they'd be upset by the fact that I'd unexpectedly died (that was in my comment), and the fact that the gaming collection is such a small part of what I have, value-wise and what she would possibly be sentimental about, that in my case, it's nearly inconsequential. I absolutely guarantee you she would get rid of the gaming stuff without second thought. We've actually had the discussion. I'm serious about her wanting the closet space back though... she's been eying up the one in the basement laundry room for awhile now!

i wanna be buried with an original gameboy, light boy, and maybe snow bros. jr you know, just in case! :skull:

Yes, you never know when you might wake up in a coffin! Forget the bell and string, give me a Gameboy!

• Like 2

Provided I don't die suddenly and without warning I'd likely do what my dad did with his collection of guns and leave a letter saying what I'd like done with them. In his case he asked that my brother and I go through them and keep the ones we liked(I ended up with most of the WWII bolt actions and a FN49 and my brother took all the old west style guns like lever action repeaters) the most sell the rest. For me and my games I think I'd likely leave most to my brother since he shares my passion for gaming(though with more of a leaning towards modern games). I'd leave my 2600 to one of my nephews whom I recently discovered loves the old Atari games thanks to a collection he got for I think it was his xbox. The rest I'd want sold at very fair prices so others could enjoy them as much as I did and get great deals on some classic games.

Since i have no family interested in gaming, my stuff will likely end up as part of an estate sale where other collectors can have at it with the money going to my family. i need to write that down somewhere i guess., sure don't want it going to goodwill, a church thrift store or maybe the salvation army thrift store, but i personally don't care for goodwill.

I plan on coming back eventually, once they figure out how to thaw me out and restore my metabolic and synaptic functions. Maybe have a little body work done too, tuck here, nip there. So my collection will have to be placed into long term storage, much like I myself will be.

Just gotta make sure its in a secure and temperature controlled environment, with some sort of trust in place to maintain and oversee it. I do not want to wake up and find its all been sold in some future version of "Storage Wars" or something.

• 6 months later...

I've thought about this on occassion. Right now, in my life, I'm pretty much completely alone.

After accumulating my modest "collection," with the thought of saving it from the landfill and promising it all "forever homes," I dislike the idea that it could all get trashed after I'm gone. But of course it won't matter to me at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

It probably won't be worth selling by the time y'all croak if things keep up the way they are. I keep putting up part of my collect in an endeavor to cover the bills and be responsible but it's damn hard to get sales on anything but hardware these days. :|

Summers are always rough for sales, I guess people would rather "be outside" then hunched in a dark room wasting away hours and hours on pointless sprites..bah, I'll never understand it :)

• Like 1