IGNORED

What if there was a cart release - but never a ROM?

Snider-man

Speaking of the Cuttle Cart, its kind of sad that there are not more to go around, although personally I have no use for one. Why did he stop producing again? Was it too involved to be produced efficiently? I forget.

Oh and I agree with Paul (no insult to Chad intended) that there is still some mystique to having the cart itself and playing it. I think it has something to do with the idea that you are playing totally on obsolete technology. There is no link to the modern era of video games. Like going back to the 1950's and asking for a Pepsi Free, but then actually getting it!

I believe the Cuttle Cart is very expensive to produce, and to do so economically he needs to make about 100 of them. I think if he can be convinced that there is sufficient demand he would make another run.

Oh and I agree with Paul (no insult to Chad intended) that there is still some mystique to having the cart itself and playing it. I think it has something to do with the idea that you are playing totally on obsolete technology. There is no link to the modern era of video games. Like going back to the 1950's and asking for a Pepsi Free, but then actually getting it!

No, it's kinda like asking for a Pepsi Free in 2003 and getting it!

Kidding aside, I could not agree more with Paul and Stan. Personally, I've dropped something like $300 in the last month-and-a-half on newly produced carts (AA and CGE). Time to slow down a bit (partially because there's not a whole lot more to get) but I gotta tell you that it's an unparalleled rush getting that package in the mail and tossing a brand spanking new cart into the 2600 for the first time. I guess I could be pumping up my vintage collection via eBay with the same money but, for now at least, I'm really eating up the new stuff. Plus, got to get it while the gettin's good, this stuff won't be available forever (see : Hozer).

I believe the Cuttle Cart is very expensive to produce, and to do so economically he needs to make about 100 of them. I think if he can be convinced that there is sufficient demand he would make another run.

I don’t think that the demand for 100 more would be completely out of the picture. However, I do think that we should wait to see what Cupcakeus has up his sleeve before putting out the petition.

I've never refused any of my ROMs to anyone who's ever asked for any of them.

I wasn't aware that you were giving them out if people emailed you (not trying to be sarcastic here, but did you ever publicly state that? If so, I missed it :( ). Wouldn't be easier to just make it available on your website?

For me it's not. It's not the same as getting a new cartridge in the mail with a nice label and glossy instructions, maybe even a box, and holding it in your hand. And I really don't think Chad's going to be too insulted since I've raved about the Cuttle Cart and he knows I do all my development on it.

I was soley speaking about the gameplay. I realize some people are 'completists' and need to have the whole package, but I'm sure there's also a good number of people who couldn't care less about all the extras, and are simply interested in the game itself.

As for prototype games (which are always an undercurrent in these types of discussions :) ), my stance is - these games were designed for the public to enjoy, not just one person, or a select few. Unfortunately, there are a few ROMS out there now that already fall into the later category. The game should be made available, whether or not the current owner decides to pursue having carts made; nobody can demand that, but morally it's the right decision. And owners who hide behind the excuse of "I don't have the legal right to release..." are the biggest hypocrites going - as if they have the legal right to own the game in the first place! Makes me wonder how a programmer would feel knowing that a game they spent a good deal of time creating - and to which even they don't have a copy of - learn that only 1 copy exists, and the person that has it refuses to release it (in any format).

This opinion must create some conflict between you and other(s) who shall remain nameless at Digital Press, then.

But I don't want to speak for him, but it seemed to me that he wasn't making that much money per unit, so it just wasn't worth it anymore as an efficient use of his time. It was more of a good-will gesture to the classic community.

I mean, $100 is a pretty high pricepoint. He was really on the fence about making it at all because of the costs involved, but he graciously went through with it and was probably surprised to see it do well enough to justify the 2nd run.

I think the best chance of having more made would be for some entrepreneur to license the hardware and agree to assume all manufacturing and fulfillment duties, merely sending Chad a check. I don't see why he wouldn't agree to that if the terms were in his favor.

The problem with this is, naturally, with the additional middle-man involved that you'd have to price it higher than $100 if you intend to make any profit whatsoever.

However, if demand is high enough, pricepoint might not matter. I don't know how many Battlesphere Golds have been sold, but I guess enough to continue justify making them.

The same could be the case with Cuttle Carts.

I do think it's a wonderful piece of work, perhaps the single best investment a 2600 fan could make next to a Supercharger. I'm not sure the Flash cart in development is going to support all the banking schemes the CC does (like Starpath, Superchip, or Ram+). Even if you are not a developer, there is a huge freedom that comes from being able to play arbitrary ROM images on the real-thing. People who just enjoy playing 2600 games can, for instance, subscribe to Stellalist and sample the test/beta code as it's being developed without waiting for physical ROM releases. Emulators are good but a lot of today's homebrews throw them for a loop, especially StellaX (for those on Win2K/XP).

I do think that if by some miracle the Atari On a Chip project becomes a mass produced item (grey market or what have you) that the CC should definitely be integrated into the design!!

I'm not sure the Flash cart in development is going to support all the banking schemes the CC does (like Starpath, Superchip, or Ram).

The only one I know Cupcakus said for sure WON'T be supported is the bank-switching used by Burgertime. One game? I can live with that. :)

I'm not sure the Flash cart in development is going to support all the banking schemes the CC does (like Starpath, Superchip, or Ram).

The only one I know Cupcakus said for sure WON'T be supported is the bank-switching used by Burgertime. One game? I can live with that. :)

All M-Network games use the same bankswitching scheme (E7) so I doubt only Burgertime will be excluded. I think he is also forgetting about Robot Tank and Decathlon which use a bankswitching method called FE.

(but at 20 a pop, they aren't THAT expensive even if you did get a clunker).

The problem (for me and other Canadians) is that it's $20 USDs a pop, which is more than $30 CAD with today's exchange rates. And then shipping.

I do agree though - if it was $20 CAD I wouldn't be nearly as hesitant as I am spending more like $40 after all is said and done.

Having said that I would *never* complain if a ROM didn't get released. I don't feel like anybody owes me anything. I don't feel left out. And I refuse to get that caught up in my hobby that those feelings change.

All M-Network games use the same bankswitching scheme (E7) so I doubt only Burgertime will be excluded. I think he is also forgetting about Robot Tank and Decathlon which use a bankswitching method called FE.

Burgertime does have a 2k RAM chip in the cart--although looking at the game, who knows if it actually works. ;)