IGNORED

Wanted: Atari 800 or Atari 800XL

Zedex

I'm just getting into Vintage Computers. I have a Commodore 64, but I need to repair it, and in the meantime, I'm looking for another vintage computer to add to my collection. I singled out the Atari 8-bit after seeing some videos on YouTube that showed what it could do. I'd really like to get the original 800 instead of the 800XL, because it would fit my early 80's gaming collection. But I only found one on eBay, and it's expensive. So what type should I get? What's the earliest model that will run most of the games? How many NTSC games are there on cassette tape? (I'm a cassette tape freak)? What happened to my sandwich?

The 800 is a great machine but you'll want to make sure it has 48k. The 400 upgraded to 48k could work too-- it has a weird membrane keyboard but that's probably not a big deal for a game machine. If you want to be able to run everything (like me) then you could get a 130XE, though be aware the build quality on those is cheap and you'd be missing out on 4 joystick multiplayer fun. Hope that helps!

What games are there on cassette in America? I'm a big fan of cassette loading for some strange reason ( I had this same conversation over at Lemon64, my username over there is TeamRocketReviews). I don't know why, but loading a game from a cassette tape is the very definition of cool. I think I'n going to get the 800XL. I'm trying to build a general collection of the definitive vintage computers, so which model is the most iconic/definitive/well known? I want to have the definitive version of each of the classic computers of the 80's.

Tapes are not as popular as Disks and Carts, I have a fairly extensive collection of tapes, and a lot of them are UK only low budget releases (still fairly good games)

Couple issues you may run into are tape deck belts are wearing out and finding repalcements is a must to ensure good playback, some of the tapes especially lower budget titels were recorded on cheap tape that will deteriate and dirty the tape heads.

I have some extra tapes for sale (list can be found in my sig)

I'm just getting into Vintage Computers. I have a Commodore 64, but I need to repair it, and in the meantime, I'm looking for another vintage computer to add to my collection. I singled out the Atari 8-bit after seeing some videos on YouTube that showed what it could do. I'd really like to get the original 800 instead of the 800XL, because it would fit my early 80's gaming collection. But I only found one on eBay, and it's expensive. So what type should I get? What's the earliest model that will run most of the games? How many NTSC games are there on cassette tape? (I'm a cassette tape freak)? What happened to my sandwich?

(I think you ate the sandwich, or have you been watching your dog, did you leave it on the coffee table?)

It would be good if you had your location in your profile, it would be easier to say if someone can help.

I suggest an 800XL. It will run 99.99% games, whereas the 800, even with 48K RAM, won't run a lot of games, but will run most of the famous games.

You'd need a BASIC cart for many games for the 800, whereas the 800XL has BASIC built in.

The 800 is a work of art, built like a tank and definitely would add class to your collection.

The 130XE isn't built so well, but runs the few games and programs that require 128K, and has IMO the best display.

I haven't used my 1010 tape machine in a long time. I have four cassettes for it, which I don't know if the machine and/or tapes would still work.

The Atari makes really nice sounds when a tape is loading (if it goes 'SCREEECH', you know you have a bad load.)

(I think you ate the sandwich, or have you been watching your dog, did you leave it on the coffee table?)

It would be good if you had your location in your profile, it would be easier to say if someone can help.

I suggest an 800XL. It will run 99.99% games, whereas the 800, even with 48K RAM, won't run a lot of games, but will run most of the famous games.

You'd need a BASIC cart for many games for the 800, whereas the 800XL has BASIC built in.

The 800 is a work of art, built like a tank and definitely would add class to your collection.

The 130XE isn't built so well, but runs the few games and programs that require 128K, and has IMO the best display.

I haven't used my 1010 tape machine in a long time. I have four cassettes for it, which I don't know if the machine and/or tapes would still work.

The Atari makes really nice sounds when a tape is loading (if it goes 'SCREEECH', you know you have a bad load.)

I think I'll buy them all! Is the Atari 800XL built well? I'm probably going to get the 800XL. I found a good eBay auction, I want to know if this is a Mitsumi Keyboard model. I don't want one with that type of keyboard, I've heard they're low quality compared to the earlier models.

Just for the record, using the keyboard on any 8-bit Atari does not compare to today's touch-typing expectations, and are nowhere near the quality of the IBM XT keyboard of '83. Prepare for carpal tunnel after just 1 hour of using the keyboard :) Key presses are difficult on any of the keyboards, even after cleaning... They are *slightly* less difficult than a mechanical typewriter. Am I alone here, or is this the general consensus of 8-bit Atari keyboards?

This keyboard information, is it covered in another thread?

I think I'll buy them all! Is the Atari 800XL built well? I'm probably going to get the 800XL. I found a good eBay auction, I want to know if this is a Mitsumi Keyboard model. I don't want one with that type of keyboard, I've heard they're low quality compared to the earlier models.

I don't know of an easy way to tell which 800XL you get. Maybe there are serial numbers that would tell. ... Just checked my three 800XL. The oldest, with all or almost all socketed chips and a copper switch keyboard had serial 35169. All three were made in Hong Kong.

You want vintage? Just saying...

You would want to at least put in a 48k mod and remember the 400 only does RF out so the picture quality will suffer... If you want vintage go 800 but remember there are a lot of games that need more than the standard 48k memory.

I would say get a 800 and a 800XL minimum

64k as in like the XL/XE? the easiest way is to wait for warerat to finish his project... altho things say 'for 64k atari' its actually more then just the actual amount of ram, there are certain other expectations made about the system when it is a '64k machine.

sloopy.

Whats the easiest way to get 64K into an Atari 800 beige?

chop up a 65xe and shoehorn it in then make an adaptor for the keyboard :P

But the 800xl was released late '83, so that is still early '80s in my book. If you want a '70s Atari go for the 800 (actually get an 800 and an 800xl :D)

But the 800xl was released late '83, so that is still early '80s in my book. If you want a '70s Atari go for the 800 (actually get an 800 and an 800xl :D)

Will a 48K 800 run most software made from around 83-85? Like Ballblazer, MULE, Rescue On Fractalus, Ultima, Dropzone, Legionnaire, Choplifter, etc.?

Will a 48K 800 run most software made from around 83-85? Like Ballblazer, MULE, Rescue On Fractalus, Ultima, Dropzone, Legionnaire, Choplifter, etc.?

IIRC M.U.L.E. will work. Probably Choplifter as well. The thing to do is look for originals in their packaging where the packaging says 48K (or less). Avoid those that say XL/XE. I doubt that many of the other games you listed would work as they were written with 64K in mind.

Edit: Another reason to avoid those that say XL/XE is that you have to remember that the OS ROMs used in the later machines were not 100% compatible with the 400/800 and later games were developed with the newer ROMs in mind.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

Edit: Another reason to avoid those that say XL/XE is that you have to remember that the OS ROMs used in the later machines were not 100% compatible with the 400/800 and later games were developed with the newer ROMs in mind.

Well, the OS ROMs were 100% compatible with the API Atari released. Folks just didn't use the documented mechanisms and started jumping into the middle of the ROMs. It worked, until Atari rearranged the ROMs. They didn't think there was any reason not to, since they had so cleanly done the implementation. You'll notice that the FP ROM, which wasn't done that way, never changed, because they knew it would be a problem.

So, it's fairly unlikely for a game not to run on an 800 because of an OS compatibility problem. Most of the time it's because of the memory/hardware differences.