IGNORED

The Atari Factory - What happened?

fibrewire

I hate it when people trash vintage Atari stuff to use the enclosures for something else. XM301 => SIO2SD for example.

I lose little sleep over the XM301's I've slaughtered, mainly because they're useless little grey boxes until I get my hands on them.

HEAR, HEAR. You give justification for the very existence of those little grey cases, that are really cool, yet wasted on garbage internals. I can think of no finer way of redeeming the superb little XM301 case, than your installation of decent and useful hardware. The fact that it looks so factory (your completed project) is the proof of the pudding. :)

In a different life, I used to be responsible for inventory at a Wallgreens distribution center in Flagstaff, AZ. I was still just a kid, and that was a full time nightmare. If the Best warehouse is anything like that, also having to break down pallettes with no existing inventory system and exercising extreme caution with the age of the boxes and equipment inside, I estimate it would take two people a full month of 40 hour a week work. While that may not sound like much, It would become tiresome very quickly. The only way one could justify doing the project is if...

**ahem**

...Curt Vendel found a lost order inventory receipt stating that a large software developer had placed and paid for an order for hundreds of the Atari 815 drives. Somewhere in that stack at the Best warehouse...

Hypothetically speaking, of course ;-)

How about a run of 1450XLD cases? :D

Now that would be awesome...

As most know I've brought to life the prototype Atari 7800 computer Module - a prototype design that is now the new 7800 Expansion Module. I've recreated the Atari 2600/7800 Cartridge guide and I'm awaiting the fresh batch of brand new Atari SIO ports, so things are coming back to life, now its time to start to bring back other items.

Are the following included: [?]

Atari Hotz keyboard? [gawd, why hasn't Jimmy converted the software for the iPad?]...

Falcon040 case? Mickey case?

The only other alternative is that there is some forgotten warehouse with the molds sitting in a corner with 10 inches of dust on top. Unfortunately, that never happens in Sunnyvale, where the early Atari factories were, due to very high value of real estate -- wasted space gets sold and reused quickly. But maybe if parts were made in the middle of the country at some point...

Didn't Atari do manufacturing in Texas as well? Were the 1400XL and 1450XLD manufactured there or in Taiwan [or Hong Kong]?

Best Electronics bought out most of the Atari warehouses and they claim to have thousands of unopened/uncategorized pallets of Atari stuff. It's quite likely that they have at least some of the molds, but haven't yet found them. Considering that they've been in business for 20+ years and have only cataloged a fraction of their inventory, it's likely that some of this stuff will never be uncovered even if they do have it.

Sounds like they need Curt and an army of trustworthy volunteers to scour through those pallets for them.

I heard somewhere that the 815 is DD only, and therefore not compatible with the 810. Is that correct?

The Corvus DOS is 2.0D, and it reads/writes to SSSD on an Atari 810 just fine. When I get the Corvus Disk System reassembled (and a little free time) I will test the Atari 815 on SSSD and SSDD.

I really wish I had time to commit to this project, but I am totally slammed for the next few months...

(That is unless somebody has a gig for a network admin here in Atlanta)

I'm starting to see a trend @ AtariAge for 8-bit computer users...

Show of hands for those that live and breathe linux and networks.

Fist-pump if you've a LPI2-equivalent or better experience, CCNP-equivalent or better!

I have some of the drawings to the HOTZ box...

Yes, the Falcon 040 Microbox actually is already in AutoCAD format and that could move to being recreated... it would need some minor changes to the ports, maybe a nano ITX motherboard could be fitted into it and the ATARI name would need to be removed for legal reasons.

Atari did assembly work in TX at one point, then during the Tramiel era it bought a Chip design company called Texas Array.

The XL's were all done out of Tawain.

Curt

How about a run of 1450XLD cases? :D

Now that would be awesome...

As most know I've brought to life the prototype Atari 7800 computer Module - a prototype design that is now the new 7800 Expansion Module. I've recreated the Atari 2600/7800 Cartridge guide and I'm awaiting the fresh batch of brand new Atari SIO ports, so things are coming back to life, now its time to start to bring back other items.

Are the following included: [?]

Atari Hotz keyboard? [gawd, why hasn't Jimmy converted the software for the iPad?]...

Falcon040 case? Mickey case?

The only other alternative is that there is some forgotten warehouse with the molds sitting in a corner with 10 inches of dust on top. Unfortunately, that never happens in Sunnyvale, where the early Atari factories were, due to very high value of real estate -- wasted space gets sold and reused quickly. But maybe if parts were made in the middle of the country at some point...

Didn't Atari do manufacturing in Texas as well? Were the 1400XL and 1450XLD manufactured there or in Taiwan [or Hong Kong]?

Best Electronics bought out most of the Atari warehouses and they claim to have thousands of unopened/uncategorized pallets of Atari stuff. It's quite likely that they have at least some of the molds, but haven't yet found them. Considering that they've been in business for 20+ years and have only cataloged a fraction of their inventory, it's likely that some of this stuff will never be uncovered even if they do have it.

Sounds like they need Curt and an army of trustworthy volunteers to scour through those pallets for them.

I just checked my inbox, I didn't see any emails from you, I may have accidentally deleted them, sorry.

Contact me and we can talk further - curt@atarimuseum.com

Curt

Now, if anyone is good with making Solidworks models and want to help me recreate nearly ever Atari plastic enclosure design ever made - contact me direct: curt@atarimuseum.com as I have a bold project in mind to bring all of the original products back to life, but it's gonna take a lot of help and manpower by people who've got the skills, I can't do it all myself, I'm going from 7am to 2am-3am almost every day and I still don't have enough time, so I need help and I'm looking for anyone who wants to help out and has the skills. We can make a difference and bring back some wonderful products once thought lost.... I have literally every mechanical drawing from every produced and prototype product Atari ever designed, everything has been separated and categorized into Architectural storage tubes, so now that things are sorted, its time to start to bring these items back...

Curt

Curt,

I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago when I was starting my 1450 mobo project and I never got a reply. I figured that you were just busy, so I'm trying not to take it personally...

As luck would have it, I used to design injection-molded parts for a living. In fact, I'll share another little secret project that I'm working on. I hate it when people trash vintage Atari stuff to use the enclosures for something else. XM301 => SIO2SD for example. So, I've been working on a little enclosure to match the look of the XL series computers that I was hoping to make a small-run of. Here's a taste:

If you would like to work together on those old enclosures, I'd be happy to assist. I really admire all of this great stuff that you do for the community. I would prefer to start on some of the parts that directly impact my 1450XLD/1400XL project (don't know which it's going to be yet).

Let me know.

best,

v

SIO2SD is the best all-around external storage solution.

C0nsumer is able to build awesome PCBs (SDrive).

Vandal enclosure is perfect (perhaps an XE design version would be appreciated too).

I hope that all people involved in those projects would collaborate to make this device come true (if possible with Polish prices!).

I have some of the drawings to the HOTZ box...

Yes, the Falcon 040 Microbox actually is already in AutoCAD format and that could move to being recreated... it would need some minor changes to the ports, maybe a nano ITX motherboard could be fitted into it and the ATARI name would need to be removed for legal reasons.

Atari did assembly work in TX at one point, then during the Tramiel era it bought a Chip design company called Texas Array.

The XL's were all done out of Tawain.

Curt

Not to derail the thread but was Texas Array the same company as Styra Semiconductor? [because the Tramiels bought them as well]...

(That is unless somebody has a gig for a network admin here in Atlanta)

I'm starting to see a trend @ AtariAge for 8-bit computer users...

Show of hands for those that live and breathe linux and networks.

Fist-pump if you've a LPI2-equivalent or better experience, CCNP-equivalent or better!

Yes, a life-long Linux user. After my Atari 800 it was Unix in college and Irix at work (ah, the glorious SGIs) and now Linux. I'm still baffled by the occasional visual effects facility that attempts to use Windows for its network. I'm just an artist, though (with a Linux home computer), no sysadm here.

Back to the SIO2SD discussion, would be cool to make a version in the old Atari 800 color scheme. Perhaps a casing designed off of the old 850? The design seems to beg for being adapted to something like that.

Correction:

1. SIO2SD is a serius (and functional) attempt at making a versatile, stand-alone SIO-based storage solution.

2. C0nsumer, on the other hand, personally builds (in limited production quantites), and at premium (well-worth) price, the finest and best manufactured SIO-based storage solution that exists out there, gram-by-gram, all-in-all.

The NUXX drive has simply no substitute. It is on a class on its own, even with its minor omissions.

It is what it is.

F.

Correction:

1. SIO2SD is a serius (and functional) attempt at making a versatile, stand-alone SIO-based storage solution.

2. C0nsumer, on the other hand, personally builds (in limited production quantites), and at premium (well-worth) price, the finest and best manufactured SIO-based storage solution that exists out there, gram-by-gram, all-in-all.

The NUXX drive has simply no substitute. It is on a class on its own, even with its minor omissions.

It is what it is.

F.

Regarding to be the best manufactured SIO storage solution, I agree, I know SDrive, I bought it.

Therefore I wrote "C0nsumer is able to build awesome PCBs (SDrive)".

SIO2SD has exactly all features of SDrive plus more: http://sio2sd-dev.gu...iki/Features_en

Therefore I wrote that SIO2SD is the best all-around external storage solution.

Having more features and less limitations is not negative, I think.

Moreover, people with not much money to spend can buy a barebone version for $50, that is not a negative thing too.

If C0nsumer will produce a SIO2SD, we'll have the best all-around external storage solution with hardware best quality.

If Vandal would make 800/XL/XE style enclosures, we'll have the best design too.

• 3 months later...