IGNORED

Best Football game ever made?

cimerians

my favorite football games have got to be:

mattel electronic football-used to play that all the time back in the day,found an original one like i had as a kid for 75 cents at goodwill awhile back

tecmo super bowl-nes

10 yard fight-nes(the game kinda sucks now but had so much fun playing it when i first got my nes)

joe montana sports talk football(awesome game,still holds up now)

nfl 2k5-xbox 1-best modren football game,in my opinion.

I think I've played more football on this handheld than I ever have on all consoles combined. Even have a tiny keychain version of it. lol

post-13896-0-19039500-1314050816_thumb.jpg

I'm between games on that right now. I love that handheld.

I still think my favorite is Tecmo Super Bowl 3. I haven't played any recent Madden games but I'm not into football enough to enjoy them.

Now hockey on the other hand...

I think Rmaerz should specify what he meant by 'football', did he mean the hand version as played by the americans (as gridiron), australians (as rules football) and british (as rugby) or the foot version as invented by the chinese and exported by the british (as football/soccer)

Or did he mean both

if he meant the hand version of the game, there are positively 'loads' to choose from (only saying that because i didn't really play that version on any computer or gaming system as it never really appealed to me)

if he meant the 'foot' version of the game, then there are really only 2 that apply, namely Sensible world of soccer (swos) and the game it was modelled/based on, namely ANCO's 'Kick Off' (even though microprose's 'microprose soccer' did beat the anco game to the market as the first football game with an 'overhead' perspective and wasn't a bad football game anyway, shame the sprites and that playfield was a little on the blocky side)

nowadays i guess that only the PES or Fifa football games are the only decent 'football' games out there (if he's talking about the 'foot' version of the game)

I think Rmaerz should specify what he meant by 'football', did he mean the hand version as played by the americans (as gridiron), australians (as rules football) and british (as rugby) or the foot version as invented by the chinese and exported by the british (as football/soccer)

It's quite obvious to any American what "football" means here. No American ever says "football" when what they mean is "soccer", only about 4 people in the US give a shit about Aussie-rules football, and I have never heard anyone call rugby "football". Since rmaerz is American, and is asking the question here in America, he obviously means American football.

I would have to say ESPN NFL 2K5 for XBOX. It was last football game made by someone other than EA before EA and NFL went into that agreement that EA would be exclusive. I refuse to buy another NFL game until other publisher's are allowed to make them.

I actually thought about mentioning that one myself, but I couldn't remember what year it was from "2k4, 2k5, 2k6, etc." and was too lazy to look it up. Great game. I used to have it for PS2.

Chris

Football is complex. I know nothing about any sports, yet I can pick up and play most baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, hockey, volleyball or bowling games. I've never found a football game that can be played by a football naive individual. Is there such a game, or is the complexity essential to the enjoyment?

You should try the original Tecmo Bowl for the NES.

Ok let me know. What is it?

Any system, any year...anything.

Whats the one game you an fire up every time and its still great?

Backbreaker 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfAKNRTuA

Hey thats pretty good!!

I've looked into it and I'm going to get a used copy.

I have to give it a try. I liked the Xbox live download of the game (where you just do events), I tried that today and I thought it was very good. The controls and physics were top notch and I dont mind smaller playbooks and no injuries etc etc. In fact the more un-Madden a football game is the more I like it.

Sold!

Backbreaker-2010-Ntsc-Front-Cover-42124.jpg

TV Sports Football on the Amiga. Never played the TG-16 port.

I hate to be "that guy" but I'd probably take one of the newer Madden's. There's just so much to do. For me, a lot of genres haven't gotten any better with advancing technology but sports games are definitely an exception.

I still play OdysseyII Football whenever I get a chance. I just wish it had a one player mode (besides playing both at the same time). It's all about the angles.

A VERY close runner up is Tecmo Super Bowl. I would rather play that than any Madden game (and I own a bunch of different Madden games).

On the console side I like the Intellivision version, the first version (not the pro football).

Do you not like Pro Football? If so, just curious as to why? I thought the Pro re-hash series that came out in the mid-late 80's were awesome. More options and all of them feature decent computer controller AI as well.

I will add my voice and vote for Super Tecmo Bowl, it's just fun. The cut scenes and music are great. I too enjoyed the handhelds, spending the most time on the Coleco version; I never had as much fun with the Mattel Football II. Adding the passing was a great idea, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Beyond those, I have spent the most time with Backyard Football and NCAA Football for the Gamecube. The latter was great fun, designing my own team, the Southwest Washington State Asskickers. The two-tone brown uniforms, with red trim were awesome, along with "ASSKICKERS" painted in the endzone.............

On the console side I like the Intellivision version, the first version (not the pro football).

Do you not like Pro Football? If so, just curious as to why? I thought the Pro re-hash series that came out in the mid-late 80's were awesome. More options and all of them feature decent computer controller AI as well.

I prefer the simplicity.

In the pro version you have to be at the right spot to catch the ball ... the height of the ball is important, there is a shadow that indicate how high the ball is.

Do get me wrong, the Pro version is very well done.

They also did a very good job with the baseball. I also prefer the old baseball.

It's probably because I only played the non-Pro version back then.

I vehemently dislike football, and I tend to dislike most football video games. BUT, there is one little gem that I have come to love on the NES: Tecmo Super Bowl. It's weird, I hate football, but love this game! It's so fun, not the boring monotony of real football on TV or modern Xbox 360 football games. ZZZzzzz...

Seriously, take it from a non-fan, Tecmo Super Bowl is just plain awesome!

I prefer the simplicity.

In the pro version you have to be at the right spot to catch the ball ... the height of the ball is important, there is a shadow that indicate how high the ball is.

Do get me wrong, the Pro version is very well done.

They also did a very good job with the baseball. I also prefer the old baseball.

It's probably because I only played the non-Pro version back then.

I only played the regular versions as a kid as well, but I find Super Pro Football and World Championship Baseball to be two of my favourites on the INTV to this day. In fact, I played both of them back to back a couple of nights ago. :)

My favorite is the Original Tecmo Bowl. TSB is great too, but for me the original wins.

Chris

My college roommate holds the same opinion. I can't say I understand though, since there are several teams missing from the original Tecmo Bowl (where are my Buffalo Bills!?) and there are less play options.

Why does the original appeal to you more?