IGNORED

Best Football game ever made?

cimerians

I would prefer the NFL not even put exclusive rights up for auction like this. Take2 is a pretty big publisher, but I just don't see EA allowing this to happen.

• Like 2

My favorite is the Original Tecmo Bowl. TSB is great too, but for me the original wins.

Chris

My college roommate holds the same opinion. I can't say I understand though, since there are several teams missing from the original Tecmo Bowl (where are my Buffalo Bills!?) and there are less play options.

Why does the original appeal to you more?

Probably just because I played it the most, and have many memmories of it. Although, the simplistic game play matched with certain tricks in the game still appeal to me. Granted I have great knowledge of football, but anyone can play and enjoy the original without much football knowledge. I would have to say it has more of an arcade feel to it as well.

Chris

I would prefer the NFL not even put exclusive rights up for auction like this. Take2 is a pretty big publisher, but I just don't see EA allowing this to happen.

I agree, but the NFL seems to be big on exclusivity these days, between EA and DirecTV. In my opinion, it's shortsighted of them to take big lump-sum payments in exchange for shutting out a portion of their fans.

Chris

I agree, but the NFL seems to be big on exclusivity these days, between EA and DirecTV. In my opinion, it's shortsighted of them to take big lump-sum payments in exchange for shutting out a portion of their fans.

Chris

My guess is that the money they make from the exclusive rights must be greater overall than money they can get from licensing it out to anyone who can pay. That being said competition makes a better game and I believe the NFL owes it to its fans to allow this competition.

The 2K series really pushed Madden. I believe it actually out sold Madden in 2004/2005 because of the $19.99 price tag. Which I thought was brilliant on the part of Sega, but of course even when Sega does something smart they get screwed. I heard the NFL was not happy with the price point saying it de-valued their product and surprise, surprise next year exclusive rights were offered.

The NFL knew that Sega could not win a bidding war against EA and forced them out of the NFL market and ultimately the sports market because Sega saw this coming and needed cash so they sold Visual Concepts, Black Box, and the 2K brand over to Take2.

I think there are still NFL2K5 fan sites that actually release updated rosters every year.

I just don't see EA or the NFL allowing another company to get these rights. EA has deep pockets and as we have seen will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Im tossing in TouchDown Fever (Arcade)... Also love the Intelli-football games (both original and Pro editions), and Tecmo was great as well. (Final edit, also had a spot for The "Sports Talk" games that started the Genesis/MegaDrive), so Montana's SportsTalk Football is there too (even though it was the same guy who voiced the SportsTalk Baseball.

The NFL knew that Sega could not win a bidding war against EA and forced them out of the NFL market and ultimately the sports market because Sega saw this coming and needed cash so they sold Visual Concepts, Black Box, and the 2K brand over to Take2.
Not to dredge this up again, but Sega actually bid MORE than EA. The NFL felt EA could deliver more products, more consistently. The deal guaranteed spinoffs like the Head Coach and NFL Street series.

NFL2K and Soul Calibur were the reason I bought a DC. I didn't actually preorder one, but the day it came out a friend brought his to work. After seeing those two games, I went out and bought them on the stop. I drove all over Chicagoland that week trying to find a system to play the games. 2k was a great series.

Tecmo Bowl updated to 2011. :P

http://kotaku.com/58...er-bowl-to-2011

I downloaded that earlier. It's pretty cool. Actually, it's really cool. My only beef is that a lot of the players' profile faces don't look anything like the actual players. Sometimes they're not even close (for instance, Charlie Whitehurst is not black). It doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and most people probably won't care, but I'm a purist. ;)

I'm nearing completion of a roster hack myself, based on the correct 1991 (the year TSB originally came out) rosters; the original TSB rosters were more similar to the 1990 NFL rosters than the '91 ones. I'm tweaking player/team stats right now to hopefully reflect the 1991 NFL standings and playoffs more accurately.

I'm also working on a 1990 Edition, since the original TSB is more or less this already, and shouldn't require as many changes aside from the schedule. And I just started a 1986 Edition because I have a sick fascination with terrible Packers teams and wanted an excuse to play with guys like Randy Wright, Vince Ferragamo, James Lofton (okay, HE was good), Gerry Ellis, Mossy Cade, Alphonso Carreker, and Charles Martin (just for Bears fans...I kid, I kid!). Besides, bad teams are more fun to play with...it's more challenging. :D

But more to the topic, the fact that so many people still geek out about TSB enough to update the game to keep it current is a testament to just how great Tecmo Super Bowl really is.

:)

Tecmo Bowl updated to 2011. :P

http://kotaku.com/58...er-bowl-to-2011

I downloaded that earlier. It's pretty cool. Actually, it's really cool. My only beef is that a lot of the players' profile faces don't look anything like the actual players. Sometimes they're not even close (for instance, Charlie Whitehurst is not black, EDIT nor is Seneca Wallace white). It doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and most people probably won't care, but I'm a purist. ;)

Also, I'd like to know why Cam Newton has 75 Hitting Power when every other QB in the game has 13. In Excellent condition, he'll have 88 Hitting Power. What is that based on, considering Newton is a rookie going into his first NFL season? Future "Tecmo Legend," perhaps?

That'd be a matchup for the ages: Tecmo Bob Nelson vs. Tecmo '12 Cam Newton. When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...:D

(Speaking of Panthers players, why is Olindo Mare kicking for both the Panthers AND the Seahawks? And why is Chris Kluwe still wearing #5 after "selling" it to Donovan McNabb? As cool as this hack is, the roster work is very sloppy.)

I know, I'm nitpicky. :)

Edited by BassGuitari

My top 3 favorite

1. Tecmo Super Bowl III (SNES)

2. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

3. Tecmo Bowl (NES)

I spent so many hours playing TSB3 on the SNES

By the time the SNES was bought for my family I was about 14 and my brothers were playing it all day long while I was playing sports and getting into trouble

But when I started playing TSB3 I got hooked for a couple months on taking my team through the season and having unreal stats

Such a great game, I still have it and still play it today on that same SNES

I downloaded that earlier. It's pretty cool. Actually, it's really cool. My only beef is that a lot of the players' profile faces don't look anything like the actual players. Sometimes they're not even close (for instance, Charlie Whitehurst is not black). It doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and most people probably won't care, but I'm a purist. ;)

I'm nearing completion of a roster hack myself, based on the correct 1991 (the year TSB originally came out) rosters; the original TSB rosters were more similar to the 1990 NFL rosters than the '91 ones. I'm tweaking player/team stats right now to hopefully reflect the 1991 NFL standings and playoffs more accurately.

I'm also working on a 1990 Edition, since the original TSB is more or less this already, and shouldn't require as many changes aside from the schedule. And I just started a 1986 Edition because I have a sick fascination with terrible Packers teams and wanted an excuse to play with guys like Randy Wright, Vince Ferragamo, James Lofton (okay, HE was good), Gerry Ellis, Mossy Cade, Alphonso Carreker, and Charles Martin (just for Bears fans...I kid, I kid!). Besides, bad teams are more fun to play with...it's more challenging. :D

But more to the topic, the fact that so many people still geek out about TSB enough to update the game to keep it current is a testament to just how great Tecmo Super Bowl really is.

Awesome will you be making it available? Oh man Martin was an ass but yeah those were some really bad years for crappy teams like the Lions\Pack and Saints. You should stick in the 78 or 79' Bucs or the Lions of a few years ago who couldnt win a game. :P

You should do an all time Tecmo Superbowl too with the best teams in history. 78' Steelers, 85' Bears, 92' Cowboys etc. :P

Awesome will you be making it available? Oh man Martin was an ass but yeah those were some really bad years for crappy teams like the Lions\Pack and Saints. You should stick in the 78 or 79' Bucs or the Lions of a few years ago who couldnt win a game. :P

You should do an all time Tecmo Superbowl too with the best teams in history. 78' Steelers, 85' Bears, 92' Cowboys etc. :P

I intend to make it publicly available at some point, yes. I'm happy to shoot the ROM of the current beta version of Tecmo Super Bowl: 1991 Edition to anyone interested right now, too. Some outside play-testing would be good for it. :D

Speaking of bad teams, though, I also did Tecmo Super Bowl: Grogan's Revenge, in which I transformed every single member of the New England Patriots (widely considered the absolute worst team in Tecmo) into a humorously-named clone of QB Steve Grogan (Steev Grogan, Beef Grogan, Grieve Grogan, etc)...and completely maxed out every single stat for every single player on the team.:D (I'll be happy to send the ROM for that one, too.)

I've actually thought about doing a "Championship Edition" Tecmo Super Bowl with teams like the '78 Steelers, '85 Bears, '66 Packers, '08 Cardinals, '68 Jets, '54 Browns, '02 Buccaneers, '91 Redskins, etc. It's on my Tecmo To-Do list. :)

Another one I'd really love to do is a 1987 Replacements Edition, featuring the replacement players who played in three games during the 1987 players' strike. I could rename the "scab" teams with their strike nicknames, like Chicago Spare Bears and San Francisco Phoney Niners. But I'll be damned if I can find a good source of the replacement rosters, or of strike team nicknames. Pro-football-reference.com lists the replacement players who played in '87 under their respective teams, but they're lumped together on the roster with the regulars, and it doesn't indicate which players were replacements. Some stats like "Games played/started: 3 (or 2 or 1)" and "Year/Draft: Rookie, undrafted free agent" are giveaways, but it's not bulletproof since some replacements stayed with their teams for a while after the strike ended, and some were actually drafted and released at some point.

I'd like to do some more in the '70s and '80s, since it'd be cool as hell to play as guys like Daryle Lamonica, John Hadl, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw, John Brockington, Fran Tarkenton, Brian Sipe, Jim Hart, Mean Joe Greene, Joe Theisman, Walter Payton, and Mark Gastineau. And also because I am a fan of mediocre '70s and '80s Packers squads. :D

These Tecmo hacks take absolutely forever to do, though; I've been working on TSB:'91 on and off in my spare time (real life and other hobbies have a way of interfering) since April or May. To say the project is research-intensive is an understatement.

And Charles Martin was a punk. He and his cheap late hit on Jim McMahon were an embarrassment to the Packers franchise. Jackass finally got waived the next year after he was involved in a bar fight. 1986 was a bad, bad year for the Packers, possibly our darkest ever. Between losing football games, the Mossy Cade rape charges, the James Lofton rape charges (unlike Cade, he was acquitted), losing more football games, strength coaches assaulting players, the thug mentality cultivated by Coach Forrest Gregg, Randy Wright, and losing STILL more football games, the Martin-to-McMahon-to-turf connection was the last thing we needed. It's a wonder we even went 4-12-0.

Edited by BassGuitari

I intend to make it publicly available at some point, yes. I'm happy to shoot the ROM of the current beta version of Tecmo Super Bowl: 1991 Edition to anyone interested right now, too. Some outside play-testing would be good for it. :D

Speaking of bad teams, though, I also did Tecmo Super Bowl: Grogan's Revenge, in which I transformed every single member of the New England Patriots (widely considered the absolute worst team in Tecmo) into a humorously-named clone of QB Steve Grogan (Steev Grogan, Beef Grogan, Grieve Grogan, etc)...and completely maxed out every single stat for every single player on the team.:D (I'll be happy to send the ROM for that one, too.)

I've actually thought about doing a "Championship Edition" Tecmo Super Bowl with teams like the '78 Steelers, '85 Bears, '66 Packers, '08 Cardinals, '68 Jets, '54 Browns, '02 Buccaneers, '91 Redskins, etc. It's on my Tecmo To-Do list. :)

Another one I'd really love to do is a 1987 Replacements Edition, featuring the replacement players who played in three games during the 1987 players' strike. I could rename the "scab" teams with their strike nicknames, like Chicago Spare Bears and San Francisco Phoney Niners. But I'll be damned if I can find a good source of the replacement rosters, or of strike team nicknames. Pro-football-reference.com lists the replacement players who played in '87 under their respective teams, but they're lumped together on the roster with the regulars, and it doesn't indicate which players were replacements. Some stats like "Games played/started: 3 (or 2 or 1)" and "Year/Draft: Rookie, undrafted free agent" are giveaways, but it's not bulletproof since some replacements stayed with their teams for a while after the strike ended, and some were actually drafted and released at some point.

I'd like to do some more in the '70s and '80s, since it'd be cool as hell to play as guys like Daryle Lamonica, John Hadl, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw, John Brockington, Fran Tarkenton, Brian Sipe, Jim Hart, Mean Joe Greene, Joe Theisman, Walter Payton, and Mark Gastineau. And also because I am a fan of mediocre '70s and '80s Packers squads. :D

These Tecmo hacks take absolutely forever to do, though; I've been working on TSB:'91 on and off in my spare time (real life and other hobbies have a way of interfering) since April or May. To say the project is research-intensive is an understatement.

And Charles Martin was a punk. He and his cheap late hit on Jim McMahon were an embarrassment to the Packers franchise. Jackass finally got waived the next year after he was involved in a bar fight. 1986 was a bad, bad year for the Packers, possibly our darkest ever. Between losing football games, the Mossy Cade rape charges, the James Lofton rape charges (unlike Cade, he was acquitted), losing more football games, strength coaches assaulting players, the thug mentality cultivated by Coach Forrest Gregg, Randy Wright, and losing STILL more football games, the Martin-to-McMahon-to-turf connection was the last thing we needed. It's a wonder we even went 4-12-0.

Holy crap your bringing back too many memories for me. Some good some bad. :P

I grew up a Steelers fan but then became a Bears fan when they hired Ditka in Chicago in the early 80's. Always loved Payton though but the team sucked in the 70's so I tried to follow the Steelers as best I could but being that young and no internet or cable it was tough to follow them. I remember the Martin hit. I had a buddy from over the border (from Wisconsin) and we always used to talk football and he told me....dont worry none of us liked that guy (martin) much less some of the other bums. I know the feeling of having horribly bad teams not to mention the Grogan thing with the Pats whom I call the crypt keeper. He must have played 20 years for them. I currently have two friends from the New England area and they are quite happy to forget those miserable Pats teams of the 70's. One of them tells me he cringes when he sees them wear the throwback red uniforms. He tells me he wishes they would burn them. LOL. I dont know I kind of always liked the patriot guy on the helmet. :P

Thats why I always live by the rule: When your team wins. Enjoy it as much as you can. You never know if your team will sink into decades of misery.

Replacement Players Tecmo Bowl LOL. I think the Saints head coach Sean Payton was on the "Spare" Bears but yeah finding a roster I have no idea where you can get that.

If I have time I can give whatever you do a try.

Holy crap your bringing back too many memories for me. Some good some bad. :P

I grew up a Steelers fan but then became a Bears fan when they hired Ditka in Chicago in the early 80's. Always loved Payton though but the team sucked in the 70's so I tried to follow the Steelers as best I could but being that young and no internet or cable it was tough to follow them. I remember the Martin hit. I had a buddy from over the border (from Wisconsin) and we always used to talk football and he told me....dont worry none of us liked that guy (martin) much less some of the other bums. I know the feeling of having horribly bad teams not to mention the Grogan thing with the Pats whom I call the crypt keeper. He must have played 20 years for them. I currently have two friends from the New England area and they are quite happy to forget those miserable Pats teams of the 70's. One of them tells me he cringes when he sees them wear the throwback red uniforms. He tells me he wishes they would burn them. LOL. I dont know I kind of always liked the patriot guy on the helmet. :P

Thats why I always live by the rule: When your team wins. Enjoy it as much as you can. You never know if your team will sink into decades of misery.

I wish New England would go back to the old red-white-blue Patriot Pat look, myself...

Charles Martin wasn't the only one pulling bullshit moves, either, although he did have a few (mostly against Jim McMahon). Mark Lee famously ran Walter Payton over the Bears' sideline bench (REAL smart), and Ken Stills just leveled Matt Suhey out of nowhere after a play. Neither player was known for cheap shots, though, which made them even more shocking. Lee was actually a pretty good cornerback, and probably the Packers' best defensive weapon at the time. Stills was okay. The really dumb thing about "the" Charles Martin hit was that McMahon had just thrown an interception. The guy helps you out, so you wail on him? :|

Jim McMahon was kind of a prick, though, too. Not that that made it okay for Charles Martin to piledrive him onto his bad shoulder. But when he was riding Brett Favre's coattails to another Super Bowl, we remembered how he called WI women fat and ugly back in the '80s. Other ex-Bears like Mike Tomczak and Bobby Douglass were generally well-received, if quickly forgotten (both were 1-year backups in non-winning seasons)...but McMahon was one we wished we could sent back :P. Tomczak actually led the Packers in passing in '91 after Don Majkowski got hurt again.

Yeah, neither the Packers or Bears were that hot in the '70s, but they were the kinds of teams you wanted to see succeed. They were tough, in-the-trenches type guys who played the game with heart and left it all out on the field. And they each had their moments. The game was changing in the '70s though; passing was coming into vogue, particularly deep "bomb" passes, and the Bears and Packers were still heavily run-oriented on both sides of the ball. They were playing great '50s and '60s style football a decade or two too late. Mike Ditka, to his credit, saw what was happening and adapted, and he put together one of the greatest pass-rushing units of all time. Almost as great as Reggie White all by himself. :D

Edited by BassGuitari

That was a great play. These days, you'd be fined and suspended for doing that. I wouldn't call that a cheap shot, though; just a really good hit. Gotta love vintage NFL...when the line between football and pro wrestling was blurry even on the soberest of days.:D (Unfortunately, the players suffer lingering effects of getting their bells rung royally week after week.)

The Seahawks are a team that always kind of flies under my radar. I loved that they made the playoffs last year with a 7-9 record...and then beat the Saints.:D It was funny how many people got so pissed about that ("The playoff system is messed up! It rewards mediocrity! Derk-a-jerbs!"). I don't see them doing that hot with T-Jack at quarterback, though. Charlie Whitehurst probably isn't the answer either, but I'm a fan of Whitehurst because his old man David was a career Packer. :)

Incidentally, Dave Krieg went to high school two blocks from one of the houses I grew up in, too.

I'm a Seahawks fan and I think the playoff system is messed up. Why should a 10-6 team stay home when a 7-9 team can make the playoffs? That isn't right.

I'm not really sold on T-Jack either. I think Whitehurst is better. Josh Portis looks like he has a lot of potential, but they hardly let him play in the preseason. What's up with that? I wanted to see what the kid could do. The defense looks better this year, thankfully.

Dave Krieg was a good quarterback. It took the Seahawks years to replace him when they let him go. He played for 19 years, and at the end when he was subbing for the Titans he came in and won some games for them. Then they just let him go, I guess they thought he was too old or something. :roll: