IGNORED

Thumb Savers

Rev

I have a set of these and i have always wondered who made them and the name of them.

I stumbled upon this picture of them( i may of seen this pic before) on this website Atarimagazines.com My link

And they mentioned the name of the company that made them and i found the history of the company here: My link

Here is a pic of a thumb saver:

intellivision1.jpg

Found another quick mention of the Thumb Saver

http://www.atarimaga...controllers.php

I am going to save that mention here in case that site ever goes down.

THUMB SAVER

Along the line of Astro-Grip for the Atari joystick is Thumb Saver for the Mattel Intellivision (and Tandy and Sears clones) game controller. Thumb Saver is a 3/16" thick X 1 1/4" diameter rubber disc with a sticky backing that sticks on the directional disc control.

The manufacturer, Video Masters, claims that Thumb Saver improves control response. We have our doubts about that claim, however, it certainly was easier on the thumb than pushing that metal disc on the original controller.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can see why they didn't sell very many:

1) Placing the disc perfectly centered would be a PITA.

2) I am dubious on the size and shape of the rubber pad. It would need to have a well rounded edge on top, to keep it from jamming against the inside of the controller body.

If I had some large diameter punches, I could try to make a DIY from rubber sheets we have out in the shop... time to go dig through the tools...

Ah, the joy of split open skin aorund the thumb - one of the many charming quirks of that damned disk. It's only worse now that I am middle-aged and my skin cracks easily. Seems like something that should have a medical buzzword like "he came into the ER with a traumatic case of Disc Thumb"...

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the joy of split open skin aorund the thumb - one of the many charming quirks of that damned disk. It's only worse now that I am middle-aged and my skin cracks easily. Seems like something that should have a medical buzzword like "he came into the ER with a traumatic case of Disc Thumb"...

Hmmm... You must be doing it wrong... :/