IGNORED

GUIntv

zagnalopius

• 2 weeks later...
Happy New Year everyone, I needed to take a break from coding for a month or so, but I fired up Xcode today and had a good time, so I think I’m ready to start working again. Sknight – Thanks for answering my questions. I never needed to fiddle with any of the other parameters myself, even on a relatively slow eMac, but I’ve decided that I definitely should add “Open With Flags” (or something similar) to access them in a future version of GUIntv. John Tanner – Right now I'm working on a keyboard hack GUI that will let you configure the Intellivision's controllers on the fly in GUIntv. In the meantime, I've attached a simple hack file that I use on my MacBook Pro. It maps the left controller's action buttons to the left shift, control, and option keys, and the keypad buttons across four rows on the left side of the keyboard (1,2,3 q,w,e a,s,d z,x,c).

Sorry, I figured you were unavailable and stopped monitoring the thread.

Anyway, I was offering to provide a mapping file myself, but I see that is no longer necessary. :grin:

Heck, I had even made a file with the (1,2,3 q,w,e a,s,d z,x,c) keys mapped to the keypad for myself. I didn't suggest it here because jzIntv uses some of those keys for an 8-way (w/ a single keystroke) disc. Still, that you thought of it independently is a good sign.

Has anyone tried the 8-way disc?

Edited by John Tanner

• 3 months later...

This launcher app is something I'm super stoked to learn about, but I'm having a little trouble with it. First off I'll just say that I'm using v1.2 on my 12 year old iMac running 10.4.11. I've used Bliss in the past, but the sound is super choppy on my system, despite any settings I tweak. I was hoping jzintv would be better, but I have no knowledge of command line stuff. I've tried setting up the GUIntv preferences but haven't been successful. Any ideas what I need to do differently?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

This launcher app is something I'm super stoked to learn about, but I'm having a little trouble with it. First off I'll just say that I'm using v1.2 on my 12 year old iMac running 10.4.11. I've used Bliss in the past, but the sound is super choppy on my system, despite any settings I tweak. I was hoping jzintv would be better, but I have no knowledge of command line stuff. I've tried setting up the GUIntv preferences but haven't been successful. Any ideas what I need to do differently?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Hello!

First of all, jzIntv is a fine emulator, I use it every day and it works very well. I've not tried Bliss or Nostalgia, so I can't compare it. I do know that jzIntv, as a programmers tool, is designed to simulate the Intellivision as accurately as possible.

Second, did you create the folders shown in the first screenshot?

It says it there should be a folder called "Intellivision" in your "Applications" folder, and that the folder for "JZIntv" is there. It also says that your ROMs are in the "Games" folder within the same "Intellivision" folder.

Did you set that up like that? If not, please tell me where did you put jzIntv in your computer and where are your ROMs located, and I'll help you set it up.

-dZ.

I thought it might be my folder structure that was causing the problem. I probably have it more confusing than it needs to be. You're correct the way you read my current structure. My main folders are "Applications," then "Intellvision." Sub folders of that are "JZIntv", "GUIntv12", "Games" (ROMs in bin. format), and "System" (exec, grom, ecs...).

MrBallsJohnson, it might be worth getting jzintv up and running on its own first before trying to troubleshoot GUIntv. I have a post here that talks about what's involved, but you can simplify the process even further:

1) Open a new Terminal window.

2) In your jzintv folder, find the file "jzintv" inside the /bin folder. Drag it into the Terminal window.

3) Hit the space bar once.

4) Find the ROM you want to run, and drag it into the Terminal window. (Pick a simpler one for starters, like AD&D or Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, since more complicated ROMs can sometimes require preconfiguration.)

5) You'll now have something in your Terminal window that looks like "/Applications/Intellivision/jzintv-1.0-beta/bin/jzintv /Applications/Intellivision/Games/Advanced\ Dungeons\ and\ Dragons\ \(1982\)\ \(Mattel\).int".

6) Hit the Return key and your game should start.

I'm no Terminal wizard, but once you get the basics going it's a lot less intimidating. Then you can try adding some of the flags mentioned in the linked thread, like -z1 for a larger screen size.

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, but I most missed your last posts. Let's see if we can get you up and running this weekend.

I'll review the GUIntv setup to see what could be wrong.

First, how did you install jzIntv, and which version do you have?

By the way, probably a stupid question but, can you confirm that the Games folder is in the correct position as it shows up in the GUIntv screen?

Also make sure the name matches in case. I'm not sure if Upper or Lower Case make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to check.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, but I most missed your last posts. Let's see if we can get you up and running this weekend.

I'll review the GUIntv setup to see what could be wrong.

First, how did you install jzIntv, and which version do you have?

By the way, probably a stupid question but, can you confirm that the Games folder is in the correct position as it shows up in the GUIntv screen?

Also make sure the name matches in case. I'm not sure if Upper or Lower Case make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I downloaded version 1.2 from the first page of this thread. When I set the "Other Preferences", I navigate to "Games" folder so the path should be correct and the case matches. Here's my current preference setup and how I went about doing it:

Screenshot_1-1.pngI click "Preferences"

Screenshot_2-1.pngthen "Other Preferences"

Screenshot_3.pngIf I click "Yes"

Screenshot_5.pngHere's the "Games" folder I'm choosing

Edited by MrBallsJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

No luck in terminal either. Here's a pic (last name airbrushed out)

Untitled.png

You don't have the SDL framework installed on your system. Get it from http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

Thank you for the link. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I downloaded from the only link that seemed relevant to my system (Runtime library for Mac OS X PPC 10.4). I dragged the SDL.frameworks folder to my Library>Frameworks, but now in terminal I'm getting:

Error: Could not read EXEC image 'exec.bin'

Edited by MrBallsJohnson

Thank you for the link. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I downloaded from the only link that seemed relevant to my system (Runtime library for Mac OS X PPC 10.4). I'm not sure what the installation requires though. Do I just drag and drop some folder/file? I didn't see any read me file or anything on how to do it.

EDIT: I managed to find the faq on the SDL wiki. I'll let ya know if I'm still stuck

Simply mount the DMG, then copy the entire SDL.framework directory (not just the contents) to /Library/Frameworks on your system. That's it.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

I'm reviving this old thread to post my updated situation. I recently upgraded to OS X 10.8.5 on a 21inch iMac (2013 model) 2.9GHz i5 with 8 GB ram. Huge difference over my G4 PowerPC. Tried to get GUIntv 2.1/jzintv 1.0 beta up and running with some success. Got all my roms in place and preferences set (system/game folders, Exec.bin, Grom.bin, SDL 1.2 framework, etc.)

Some games load up fine at 640x480/full screen ok, but the right and bottom parts of the screen get cropped:

CloudyMountain.gif

Also, when I use windowed mode instead of full screen, the "shall we play a game?" file selection window gets stuck floating in front of the game window. It can't be closed or interacted with at all. The only way I've found to clear it is by force-quitting jzintv:

ShallWe.png

Last thing is some games fail to load (Atlantis, for one) and warn of a missing config file, which I see in the bin2rom config files folder of GUIntv. I did get Atlantis to work once, but it was hours ago, and all the tinkering I've done since have rendered it unload-able.

Anybody have any ideas? Any word on any software updates?

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd dust off this old thread to see if there is any updating in the works for GUIntv. I managed to get one of the issues I was having worked out (mainly not having the config files put into the rom folder like I was supposed to) but there's still one thing bugging me. When I'm playing D&D Cloudy Mountain, the screen animation is choppy when the screen scrolls upward with character movement. Not down, left, or right; only up. When I was running Lion it was fine, but noticed this after the switch to Mavericks. I wanted to share a short video capture, but don't know the best way to do it here on the forum.

Edited by MrBallsJohnson

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've noticed that guintv is working great on my El Capitan laptop but when I start it in window mode on 10.12 on my work computer the game selection window crashes when I load a rom and covers the game window. The game loads fine but the selection screen beachballs and I can't move it. I have to move the selection window away from the center of the screen before I launch a rom in order to see the game window and play. In fullscreen this doesn't bother me since the game window focuses in front of the game selection window.

It's not a big deal, just wondering if anybody had similar issues?

guintv.png