IGNORED

SIO2SD3 PCB released

mega-hz

It woul

Pity something similar couldn't be produced to contain the IDE Plus 2.0 and its bristling array of perpendicular connectors. ;)

An enclosure for that device would be much simpler to design than the SIO2SD enclosure, but it would probably be double the cost due to size. What is the advantage of using an IDE drive on the Atari rather than an SIO2SD?

cheers,

c

70K/second (I've seen 92K with the screen turned off) on the IDE stuff, vs. a max of 6K/sec on the SIO stuff.

An enclosure for that device would be much simpler to design than the SIO2SD enclosure, but it would probably be double the cost due to size. What is the advantage of using an IDE drive on the Atari rather than an SIO2SD?

Superb and highly desirable though a cased SIO2SD is (after all - I made fifteen of them and two were for myself), IDE Plus typically offers at the very least a five-fold increase in the rate of data throughput compared to the fastest SIO speeds. IDE Plus 2.0 offers c. 64KB/s read speeds through SIO using SpartaDOS X. IDE Plus provides a lot of other advanced stuff too (since it's an parallel ECI/PBI interface) such as control of external cartridges, built-in SpartaDOS X, oodles of on-board flash ROM, a hot-key config menu, etc, etc.

I use SIO2SD, SIO2PC and a IDE Plus (or SIDE) in conjunction, but I could not live without an IDE hard disk now.

...thanks Stephen. I should add that my quoted bandwidth figures are with DMA enabled. ;)

I also meant to say I spent best part of an hour trawling the Internet for a suitable project box this evening (plain black, preferably), and couldn't find a damned thing suitable (I take it for granted that there would be much dremelling and cutting involved, but the basic dimensions of the box are also critical if one still wishes to be able to plug it directly into the back of an XE).

Edited by flashjazzcat

couldn't these button markings be lowered rather than extruded?

it would allow them to be filled with thick paint and then let to dry making nice effect and permanent marking

the way it is now

I just posted a second version of the buttons to Shapeways with recessed markings. The reduced amount of plastic required makes them $0.04 cheaper too :)

I originally designed it with raised buttons because I have two small injection molders in addition to my cnc machines and I was considering trying to injection mold this case. It's much easier for me to make raised lettering in a mold than recessed.

cheers,

c

Vandal, I have an IDE Plus 2.0 too.

The drawback, compared to SIO2SD, is that you cannot load multi .atr disk images, it doesn't support long filenames and you cannot simply drag & drop files into IDE+ hard disks/compact flash cards like you do with SIO2SD SD cards (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Edited by Philsan

I'm busy fitting one of these units into an 800XL and I can hardly describe my delight when I realized Wolfram has placed the mounting holes on the PCB directly beneath those of the LCD panel. This superb design allows for easy, sturdy mounting using plastic spacers and screws. Brilliant! :)

Need some pictures of course when you are finished.

But of course... shouldn't be too long, actually. I just ordered the spacers, and I managed to find six silver buttons. I just need to reduce clearance of the LCD to 5mm above the board and drill the case.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Mr. UPS man brought me a present today. Please excuse the aircraft ties holding it together, I didn't have the right size of screw laying around. I'm going to tweak a few dimensions by a hair to make it fit together a little easier, but overall, great success! I can't wait to see it painted to match.

cheers,

c

post-30038-0-51743000-1319755132_thumb.jpg

post-30038-0-02390600-1319755140_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mr. UPS man brought me a present today. Please excuse the aircraft ties holding it together, I didn't have the right size of screw laying around. I'm going to tweak a few dimensions by a hair to make it fit together a little easier, but overall, great success! I can't wait to see it painted to match.

cheers,

c

Awesome - looks like I might have to order one of these. Too bad I can't do 3D modeling - looks like a killer way to get some little cases made for some bare PCBs I have lying around (AtariVOX, various SIO2PC solutions, CMI08, etc.)

Don't order one for a few days at least, I'm going to adjust the files so that it goes together easier and I'm going to thin the walls a little too. I might be able to take $5 or $10 of the material cost out of it. I've been thinking about doing a SIO2PC enclosure too. I have a small injection molder, so I might be able to come up with a simple mold to knock out something that looks good. This SIO2SD enclosure would require a mold that is quite complex, so rapid-prototyping is really the only thing that makes sense in very small quantities.

cheers,

c

Would you be able to mould SIO-plugs with your moulder?

Mathy

Yes, but I think that they're still available, so probably not worth the trouble. It takes about 3 minutes to heat the plastic between shots, so it's more suited to making a few dozen of something rather than several thousand.

cheers,

c

Pending more complete documentation, here are a couple of photos of the new SIO2SD in Beamer320i's 800XL:

post-21964-0-15963100-1319989013_thumb.jpg

The board is supported on three hex pillars which I had to grind down a little to get the height just right (there's nowhere to put a fourth leg, but it's plenty strong enough anyway). I found that the mounting holes on the LCD don't quite line up with those on the PCB, but this is probably caused by minor variation in the positioning of mounting holes on these LCDs. The LCD is thus supported at opposite corners only.

The SD card slot lines up nicely at the side of the case:

post-21964-0-12287100-1319989016_thumb.jpg

Drilling the holes for the buttons was a real pig of a job (getting them lined up correctly), but for a first try this hasn't turned out too bad. :)

Just the buttons to fit and a bit of wiring left to do.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I finished the sheetmetal aluminum strip last night. It's .025 thick and looks about a million times better than that aluminum tape. Now I just need to finish the lettering and replace the green surface mount LED with a small thru-hole red one and I'm 100% done.

Excellent!

I would only change one thing.

The short side of the case should be slightly larger so aluminium strip would be slightly more distant from "intakes".

Check Atari 1010 recorder.

Perhaps it is not possible with current pcb.

Jon,

very nice work too!

Edited by Philsan

The short side of the case should be slightly larger so aluminium strip would be slightly more distant from "intakes".

Check Atari 1010 recorder.

What would have worked is to make the buttons part of the aluminium strip, as per the 1200XL (or my XL SIO2SD mods, which used console keys robbed from 800XLs). Naturally the buttons are pitched too close together to do the same thing with the new PCB, but it might work if miniaturized somewhat.

Jon,

very nice work too!

Thanks!

Edited by flashjazzcat