IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

One thing I noticed, is that the emoticons are missing in posts. I just see a question mark icon instead.

Can you point to a specific thread where you're seeing this? I just did a quick look and can see them on my end, at least in each of several random threads I just looked at. For instance,

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186729-hsc-round-43-labor-day-tournament/

Scroll down and you'll see a whole slew of emoticons being used.

Thanks,

..Al

I was just getting used to the last major upgrade, which seems like it was just a few months back.

I don't like it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Didn't like the last upgrade at first, but it started to grow on me.

How do you access your latest post? Clicking on my name and the options listing at the top don't seem to offer the option.

Edited by Atariboy

How do you update your status at the top of your profile now?

Several ways:

1) Click on your username at the top, right corner of the page. You'll see a pop-up menu appear and you can update your status there.

2) On your Profile page, you can click on your "Profile Feed" link on the left (under your avatar) and you can then view/update your statuses.

3) On your Profile page, you can click on the "Updated 18 Sep · 10 comments" text under your current status and that will bring you to a page where you can update your status.

4) On the main forum index, you can click on "View All Updates" in the status box on the right and that'll bring you to a page where you can update your status.

5) You can link your Twitter and/or Facebook accounts so that when you update your status on Facebook or send a Tweet, it updates your status on AtariAge.

..Al

Looks pretty nice, Albert. :)

About defining a new AtariAge skin for this latest incarnation, I'd be happy with just the return of the old custom AtariAge "thread type" icons on the forum root lists. Also, if the forum list layout was a little tighter (i.e.less spaced out vertically), that would be nice too. For the rest, I'm sure I'd get used to the current look of the forum rather quickly. Would such minor alterations be difficult to implement?

About defining a new AtariAge skin for this latest incarnation, I'd be happy with just the return of the old custom AtariAge "thread type" icons on the forum root lists. Also, if the forum list layout was a little tighter (i.e.less spaced out vertically), that would be nice too. For the rest, I'm sure I'd get used to the current look of the forum rather quickly. Would such minor alterations be difficult to implement?

Agreed, I don't intend to make major changes to the skin, but I will change various fonts and colors to more closely match the rest of the site. Plus I will of course return the normal AtariAge header to the top of the page. The thick (well, three or four pixel) blue borders that were around everything will probably not return, as those are a huge pain in the neck since I have to touch just about every skin template in order to implement them. Mostly I will be making just CSS changes. Still would like to get a professional artists/skinner to make a nice, custom, clean AtariAge skin.

Those minor alterations are fairly easy to implement, and I will get them done in relatively short order

..Al

Where's the "my posts" ?

Click on your name at the top right corner of the page and then "My Content":

post-3-0-36248800-1316352709_thumb.png

You can also get to this link from your (or anyone else's) profile:

http://www.atariage....ser/997-jetset/

Look for the "Find Content" button on the right side of the page (above your reputation points).

I could add a "My Content" link to the top of the page next to "View My Content", but may need to move those links somewhere else to give them more room so the tabs don't crash into them on narrow displays.

..Al

There is a problem with Quotes not keeping all the information, see right above.

Anytime one has less clicks to do the better.

Maybe put "My Content" back as an immediate top page click? Even posting a Reply is an extra unnecessary click and waiting for another slow page load. To preview my post, I have to first click "Post More Reply Options" and wait for another page to load, then click again to preview my reply.

I like the older layout better, it seemed to load the pages faster, critical on my older retro computer and anyone who has low online speeds.

How do others feel about this?

Please do anything that can speed up FORUM page loads! Get rid of the bloat such as popups, animation, and any unnecessary Javascript.

One example

Boldface font previews delays the edit window vs the older and faster "{b}commands{/b}" routine. The older Edit with all the commands are easier to copy and paste to send my reply to other forum sites. Useful if an extended Thread such as a in depth Guide.

No need for a "Facebook" layout, just the meat and potatoes for fast page loads to read, edit and posting of threads.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Do we lose all our subscriptions to threads in the upgrade?

No, but notifications of new replies/threads was apparently disabled during the upgrade (bug in the upgrade script). I'm not very happy about this! I plan on writing a script that turns thread/topic email notifications on for everyone. You can turn them back on in the User Control Panel here:

http://www.atariage....a=notifications

Here's an image that shows what you want to look for (highlighted in red):

notification_options.png

..Al

Do we lose all our subscriptions to threads in the upgrade?

No, but notifications of new replies/threads was apparently disabled during the upgrade (bug in the upgrade script). I'm not very happy about this! I plan on writing a script that turns thread/topic email notifications on for everyone. You can turn them back on in the User Control Panel here:

http://www.atariage....a=notifications

Here's an image that shows what you want to look for (highlighted in red):

post-3-0-33379300-1316365252_thumb.png

..Al

Ok thanks Al! I'm glad it still stored all our old subscriptions, I'm really glad I don't have to go out and find those again! I was wondering why I wasn't getting any notifications of new contents in the 2600 forum . . .

There is a problem with Quotes not keeping all the information, see right above.

This is a known bug that has already been fixed in the next version, 3.2.3, which should be out this week. There are already 200 bugs fixed, and a few new improvements as well.

Anytime one has less clicks to do the better.

Maybe put "My Content" back as an immediate top page click? Even posting a Reply is an extra unnecessary click and waiting for another slow page load. To preview my post, I have to first click "Post More Reply Options" and wait for another page to load, then click again to preview my reply.

Yes, I will likely add a "My Content" link back to the main page as I dive in to make a more "AtariAge-esque" skin. As for the reply clicks, I see the preview right away when I click "More Reply Options", so this is no more clicks than before. The "in-line" editor is more full-featured than before (It's a commercial, third-party editor), so you shouldn't need to go into the full post editor as often (unless you always like to preview your posts).

I like the older layout better, it seemed to load the pages faster, critical on my older retro iMac and anyone who has low online speeds.

How do others feel about this?

Please do anything that can speed up FORUM page loads! Get rid of the bloat such as popups, animation, and any unnecessary Javascript.

Unfortunately the Javascript is not going to go away, at least for the default skin. It's used pretty heavily now, and should render fairly fast on any modern browser on a relatively modern computer. Having said that, I can investigate installing a "Light" skin that uses much less Javascript. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Change Theme" link, you can then choose "IP.Board Mobile" which should be a fair bit faster on that iMac.

One example

Boldface font previews delays the edit window vs the older and faster "{b}commands{/b}" routine. The older Edit with all the commands are easier to copy and paste to send my reply to other forum sites. Useful if an extended Thread such as a in depth Guide.

You can turn off the "WYSIWYG" editor by clicking the on/off switch in the upper-left corner of the editor window:

editor_toggle.png.png

The forum will remember this setting the next time you load up the editor.

..Al

Ok thanks Al! I'm glad it still stored all our old subscriptions, I'm really glad I don't have to go out and find those again! I was wondering why I wasn't getting any notifications of new contents in the 2600 forum . . .

Yes, I would have been furious if all the subscription data was lost! Fortunately it was just the notification settings. It's an installer bug they should have fixed by 3.2.2 (it's been known for a while) and I have absolutely no idea why Invision has ignored it thus far.

..Al

Can options column on the View New Content page be removed?

Or maybe moved along the top of the page (below the tabs, of course) as pull-down menus with the current setting visible?

Like this:

By content type: Forums [v] || By time period: Past 24 hours [v] || Other: none [v]

(or see attachment)

post-3314-0-05629200-1316373879_thumb.jpg

• Like 1