IGNORED

Swapmeet ColecoVision, could use some tips to get it working properly.

A_Locomotive

Ok so today while at the swapmeet looking for some CX-40 controllers for my 2600 I came across a ColecoVision, I've always wanted to give on a try so I bought it along with 9 games for $45, doesn't have an RF adapter so I used my NES'. I hooked it all up, cleaned the contacts on Zaxxon(they were filthy!) and popped it in, was immediately met with a screen of just static. I wiggled the RF connection and got a picture. The picture is quite bad and there was no sound, Zaxxon was pretty much unplayable because I couldn't see much of anything. I also discovered at this time that one of the controllers doesn't work properly(pressing right on the control stick does nothing). So I cleaned the contacts on Donkey Kong and gave that a try, again bad picture but this time at least there was sound, was able to play a little bit, but the better working of the 2 controllers is a bit finicky, and you have t press harder then expected to get any sort of movement. Since I have no experience with ColecoVision's I thought I'd ask here for advice before I attempt to do anything to fix it myself. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. :) My first thought is its oxidation/corrosion on the RF connection on the console(had a similar problem with my TG-16) but doing the usual twist it a couple of times to get a clearer picture doesn't help at all.

post-28757-0-56470600-1316983976_thumb.jpg

Edited by A_Locomotive

NES adaptor do not work. You need either the old manually style RF switch OR one of those RF to Coaxial adapters ( https://www.atari2600.com/item--Direct-Connect-Coax-Adapter--PROD5559.html ) with a RF cable. The picture is bad because the output does not have the required signal to automatically switch it over. Also TONS of info HERE: http://www.overclocked.org/emucolecofaq.htm

NES adaptor do not work. You need either the old manually style RF switch OR one of those RF to Coaxial adapters ( https://www.atari260...--PROD5559.html ) with a RF cable. The picture is bad because the output does not have the required signal to automatically switch it over. Also TONS of info HERE: http://www.overclock...mucolecofaq.htm

Well that makes me feel a little stupid lol, probably should have looked that up before trying. :P So then I could use the old manual RF switch from my Atari so long as I can find a separate RF cable? I wonder if radio shack would have them... or Frys. Thanks for the Link, I will give that a read later.

Also wondering about that seemingly non working controller, does anyone think it likely I could possibly somehow get it working?

Edited by A_Locomotive

As was mentioned and as you found out, the NES RF-Adaptor does not work. Radio Shack or any electronics store should have the RF Cable as well as the RF-to-Coaxial Adaptor for around $10. Definetly go this route as you will get a better picture by eliminating the old RF A-B Switchbox... not Composite quality, but the improvement is noticeable.

As far as the controllers, that is pretty common place to have issues with them especially after all these years. They are simple enough to take apart and clean with Alcohol, Deoxit and some light sanding of the contacts but even then you may find that they aren't as responisve as you would like them to be. If this ends up being the case and your budget allows, contact Yurkie and have him refurbish the controllers and spend the extra money for the Ball-Knob modification.

• Like 1

As was mentioned and as you found out, the NES RF-Adaptor does not work. Radio Shack or any electronics store should have the RF Cable as well as the RF-to-Coaxial Adaptor for around $10. Definetly go this route as you will get a better picture by eliminating the old RF A-B Switchbox... not Composite quality, but the improvement is noticeable.

As far as the controllers, that is pretty common place to have issues with them especially after all these years. They are simple enough to take apart and clean with Alcohol, Deoxit and some light sanding of the contacts but even then you may find that they aren't as responisve as you would like them to be. If this ends up being the case and your budget allows, contact Yurkie and have him refurbish the controllers and spend the extra money for the Ball-Knob modification.

Thanks you two, I'm about to go take a trip to my local radio shack and see if I can find that adapter and cable, as well as a splitter and hopefully a very short length coaxial cable so I can keep my 2600 plugged in permanently and still beable to watch tv, not to mention to make swapping in other consoles much easier on my CRT.

Yurkie actually popped into my mind as someone to contact when I first couldn't get it working, I figured if I can't do it maybe I could arrange something with him. :P But before that I'm going to try as much as I can on my own as it would be nice to learn a little bit about this console first hand.

Finally got around to sitting down and cleaning and testing the rest of the games I got. Cosmic Avenger doesn't seem to work at all, when I put it in and fire up the CV it tells me to turn the console off before inserting a game. Is it totally borked or can this be fixed? Also curious if anyone has any tips or guides on disassembling and cleaning either or both the controllers or console. The good of the 2 controllers has a very unresponsive fire button working only reliably when you really jam down on it. If it weren't for the big metallic stickers on it I'd imagine I could just use the same method as described in slowcoders 2600 cleaning guide to clean the system, the controllers seem like they should be easy enough so long as there is nothing I need to worry about falling out or breaking on disassembley. Though with those I'd worry about ruining those decals.

Edited by A_Locomotive