IGNORED

cas files not working in atirra

DutchC64

There are a couple of known issues with Altirra tape support: it does not yet support turbo encoding (non-FSK), and it will not read a .CAS file that has baud rates too high for regular FSK encoding. You can encode 6000 baud sectors in a CAS file even though a regular tape drive cannot support it (you need to bypass the FSK filters).

for anyone who sees this, I helped him figure this out in #atari on irc.newnet.net today. it turns out some of the tapes wouldn't work with the sio patch and he was also trying to run ntsc in pal mode. don't know why that caused a problem but when he disabled pal, they worked. most of them anyway.

The WAV file is definitely synthesized and not from a real tape. I took a look at what was going on, and the problem is that there is a gap in the tape that is too short at 1:08.44 - 1:08.63 (190ms). During this time the loader copies a block of memory and then issues another SIO read call, but the problem is that even in short IRG mode the OS still wants to delay for 10 VBLANKs before waiting for the baud rate determination bytes, which is too long (~170ms in NTSC). This causes the OS to miss the beginning of the next block. Altirra is able to load the tape in SIO patch mode because when that is enabled the emulator itself handles the tape read -- it uses a much shorter IRG gap and can begin scanning the tape immediately.

Kr0tki, what do you think? You have more experience with tape than I do. I was always a disk kind of guy.

The WAV file is definitely synthesized and not from a real tape. I took a look at what was going on, and the problem is that there is a gap in the tape that is too short at 1:08.44 - 1:08.63 (190ms).

That is indeed the case (I wonder why I haven't noticed it before). The IRGs are too short - this tape image would not load on a real Atari. To fix it, I've extended the gaps to 250 ms. The fixed image is attached below.

And what with usual tapes which were laid out by me, there it is more difficult than an error?

Altirra has some serious bug in handling of CAS images. When I converted your CAS images to WAV and used them in Altirra instead, each of them loaded without problems.

Some symptoms:

1. When I mount serj's "Blinky's Scary School (1990)(Zeppelin Games)(GB).cas" image in Altirra and go to Cassette->Tape control, it reports the image's length as 1:49.9. In reality the image is much longer - the WAV version is over 15 minutes long.

2. Audio playback for CAS files is incorrect - during IRGs a SPACE tone is played instead of MARK.

DONKEYK.zip

1. When I mount serj's "Blinky's Scary School (1990)(Zeppelin Games)(GB).cas" image in Altirra and go to Cassette->Tape control, it reports the image's length as 1:49.9. In reality the image is much longer - the WAV version is over 15 minutes long.

Hmm, good catch. I tracked this down to some broken code I had added to check for and strip a bogus $FF byte prior to the OS $5555 sync pattern and which was causing the reader to desync on this tape. Now I have to try to track down which tape had that $FF problem.

2. Audio playback for CAS files is incorrect - during IRGs a SPACE tone is played instead of MARK.

Yup, tones were swapped.

using the "mago trans 1.7" I convert all the files stored in the cas archive "cas problems" in wav files.

as a result of the 24 games - were loaded 15.

not work as well:

Blinky's Scary School (1990) (Zeppelin Games) (GB)

kasiarz

Side A is loaded only in games:

Top Secret

Yogi's Great Escape

loading comes to side B but does not go further.

need "play" button for the cassette player?

weird loadings:

Alley Cat (synapse software)

crystal castles (aarea) (nw)

gladiator (nw)

inny_swiat_fix_loader_ape (nw)

Green Beret (sio-patch off) - this game is loaded with SIO-PATCH off, but a wav file of the game is not loading.

testing on altirra 2.0 test 41.

thanks Kr0tki !

Serj, note that some of your images are bad dumps. Blinky has too short leader tone and Crystal Castles has a missing gap between records - I'm attaching fixed images. (On a technical level, most of your images are bad - they either contain additional bytes of data at the end of some records, or stray bytes of data in the middle of a leader tone - they work only because the OS ignores this additional data.)

kasiarz

Works correctly. It bypasses the OS load routines so the SIO patch doesn't speed the loading up, but it loads correctly.

Top Secret

Works for me. When the game asks for Side B, you just mount it and press any key.

Yogi's Great Escape

Indeed. The Cassette->Load option doesn't work in Altirra after the OS load routine starts (indicated by the "beep" sound and waiting for a keypress). For this reason it is not possible to mount Side B correctly after Side A loads, because after loading Side A the game launches the OS load routine immediately. In Atari800 you can mount a tape image at any moment (even when the tape motor is on) and therefore it works. Phaeron, can you think of changing this behaviour?

Alley Cat (synapse software)

I think it's a bad crack. Just delete it and get the Americana tape image from Atarimania.

gladiator (nw)

Works with SIO patch disabled.

inny_swiat_fix_loader_ape (nw)

Yup, here's a problem. The image is correct (although it's a crack, not an original) and works in Atari800 with SIO patch disabled. Phaeron would need to look at it.

Green Beret (sio-patch off) - this game is loaded with SIO-PATCH off, but a wav file of the game is not loading.

Huh? It works for me.

blinky-ccastles-fixed.zip

Edited by Kr0tki

Sigh, emulation purists, don't ya just hate em...

The day I got my 810 was like the sun coming out after what seemed like an eternity of cloudy miserable loading times.

The idea of sitting there enduring that endless session of horrible beeps and whining noises fill my soul with dread :)

But I guess as its an emulator it should emulate correctly....

(don't do it Phaeron, run for the hills :) )

• Like 1

To be perfectly clear, I have always viewed programs stored on cassette tape to be an unreliable, frustrating, time-wasting, and utterly life-draining vile invention. That I still have to wait an appreciable amount of time for a tape to load even emulating a system at over 1500% faster than it ever originally ran only reinforces this belief, and having to dig through pages of logs to figure out why a tape load failed only adds further reasons for me not to spend time on emulating an experience that is as awful today as it was twenty years ago on the Atari, C64, CoCo, Apple II, TRS-80 Model 4, and any other 8-bit system I have ever owned or used tape with. This is why I go out of my way to emulate arcane pieces of hardware than spend more time working on tape support.

That having been said, what makes tape slightly cool on Atari and the reason I bothered at all originally is the audio track, and in particular programs that use narration.

For some reason my current build doesn't load Henry's House with acceleration disabled, so I have to dig into that first as that used to work. I need to spend some time improving diagnostics because it's truly a pain to diagnose these issues right now.

• Like 1