IGNORED

Stupid RadioShack!

Brad2600

Okay, here's my favorite Radio Trash stories-

1) a few years ago I needed to make a ribbon cable for a TRS-80 that I was tinkering with. They insisted on helping me and all I wanted were the parts to make my own cable. Finally after they asked me what kid of a computer it was for I told them a TRS-80 and they asked who made it! I told them they made it and they told me that they never saw one in the catalog.

2) I needed some RG-6 coax for work. I wanted 300 feet so I could use what I wanted and keep the rest. The idiot gave me 3 100 foot rolls. I told him I wanted 300 feet in one spool, so he handed me 2 barrell connectors. I told him that he needs to listen to me - I want 300 continous feet - and do I need to go somewhere else. He then told me that either way I bought it it would cost the same-plus these have connectors on them. After giving him a look of death he then told me how much he hates counting and rolling cable!

I only go to Radio Shack these days if there is a specific item I need and I know that they carry it in the store. Even then, half the time I go they are out of stock of that particular part, while everything around it is well stocked. And I don't even waste my time asking questions, I don't know that I've ever had one sufficiently answered. Fortunately there are plenty of other places here in Austin to buy parts, so it's not very often that I find myself going to RatShack.

..Al

I usually aint one to bash but I really do have a recent story regarding Radio Shack. Early last year my wife was in charge of Moot Court competitions at her Law School. Anyway, for timing they had this Radio Shack digital timer. It was a great timer except the batteries were running real low and she needed it for the competition.

Anyway, we were rushing to it (it started in 30 minutes) and I suggested we go to Radio Shack and get replacement batteries. So we did.

I rushed into the store holding the timer. Then the guy behind the counter before I was 2 steps into the store SHOUTS "AHA! Fred (or whatever the other guys name was) GET THIS GENTLEMEN A REPLACEMENT SET OF G57B BATTERIES" (I'm not sure of the part number). Anyway, I was so flabbergasted and said.. "wow how did you know?" to which he said.. "I just do" very smugly. Anyway, I asked again.. "so these are the right batteries??" and he said "of course. it's the batteries for this". And he showed me right behind him was the display model for the exact same digital timer.. so I didn't doubt him.. I mean heck, there it was right next to him on display!... the guy obviously knew (or should've)

So I drove away thinking I got great service and while we were on the freeway my wife tries to put in the batteries and I notice her struggling.. I thought she was putting them in wrong. Anyway, we stop at her school and F*CK!! The batteries were too big! The guy specified the WRONG SIZE.. It was just a millimeter.. but it was enough not to fit. Sure enough I took a look inside the unit and there it was in b&w text was what the battery size should be.. Which I would HAVE checked if that blowhard didn't give me that b.s., thus throwing me off :x :x

Anyway.. it was too late. In the end, the fault's really mine of course (I shouldv'e checked).. but that guy was truly a dumbass :x :x

Well I have reached the last straw with RS as well I went in there today looking for a USB cable for my new scanner (didn't think they had it but I was in the mall and thought what the hell).

So I picked up a soddering iron, sodder, and waitied for 10 minutes for someone to even acknowledge that I was even in the store to see if they had the stupid frickin cable.

So eventually the ass that was workin there ask me what I am looking for I tell him, he directs me in the general direction and then I spend another 5 minutes waiting to pay for my stuff, didn't have the cable, only digital camera stuff. So I finally got tired of shitty serivce and just left the pile of stuff on the counter and walked out.

never again willI set foot inside a RS.

I went to RS last night to look for a pair of headsets for my new radio gig, and they have absolutely NO selection. They have maybe 5 pairs, one of which is professional quality, and of course the price is thru the roof.

Is there ANY reason to go to Radio Outhouse any more?

Is there ANY reason to go to Radio Outhouse any more?

I cannot think of a single reason to go the Rad Shaft .. (I used to go there to get resistors but they recently halved their selection and doubled the price).

Rad sh*t used to be a magical place 25 years ago .. Great selection .. TRS computers .. about 20 electronics kits to build. Knowledgable staff.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA