IGNORED

Real Atari 8-Bit Impressions

emkay

This one almost let RMT explode.... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CxQ45rbpI

What interferes with the "tune development" is just that you have to create an additional instrument for every small variation, where just a slight filter offset programming is needed, or a volume difference between main and filter voice.

Well, it's another "conversion" from a 4 channel MOD file. Some "SID" created source could fit better.

Pretty good effort, obviously lacking in places but I doubt any 8/16 bit system not using samples could really do it properly.

Thanks.

It's still 50Hz / 1VBI programming.

It's one of the best game tunes from the old days on the Amiga - even others like SNES and Megadrive couldn't get it right.

It's still not the max. of what is possible with POKEY. .... by far. The tune is already very big, without the "corrections" and it grew to 150% right now.

If RMT was a ballon, it almost would burst.

Btw. A really small patch would help to use the 4 channels moreoften, even during filter usage.

the filter voice always get a clean multiply of the main channel (which is turned off).

On the main channel an independent volume control would allow to put a percussive instrument there, for using all 4 channels.

Interestingly, the MOD file uses 2 channels for the "fanfare" to produce some echoing. The 2 tone modulation, which uses 2 channels makes it possible to give the shape for the instrument and later also for the small echoing. So in that parts, the tune has real 4 channels.

In other parts there are just some instruments played shortly, using the same notation on another channel, but to add those instruments, you'd have to add new instruments on and on...

Edited by emkay

• 2 months later...

This one is "real" taken from an Atari. It's the full converted Soundtrack for UWOL. Heck, it's almost 3 years old. Recorded by Analmux (great thanks) , and kept hidden for the "upcoming release" of the game ....as there is no release to expect....

The tunes are almost 4 channels only one of them is based on 3 channels. You should listen to the variations, and the used frequency range.

They also show that it is not usually deforming POKEY waves , just as Altirra shows. And you always listen to an instrument, you wouldn't expect when using 4 channels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_2XDqaygcY

Just what a great surprise to listen this again...

But I really know why! Emkay always trying to put others down when he see me trying to get another game.

Emkay you're comment to the game will never be released it is to what? Attack me?

If it is then you failed because UWOL was all done by me and it was Gauntman that sent me a message saying that he agrees with my ideas.

My part it's all done but I think yours isn't because that music aren't similar to the original and I am really sure Pokey can do a little more...

P.s.- the game has a little bit more than what you saw on the video.

We talked from time to time and the Project is not dead.

Gauntman moved to a new work in another country more his family so not much time.

Just what a great surprise to listen this again...

But I really know why! Emkay always trying to put others down when he see me trying to get another game.

What's really off, is your imaginations. Gauntman had already heavy CPU problems with the code. Removing the borders takes a multiple factor of that what's done yet.

Emkay you're comment to the game will never be released it is to what? Attack me?

If you feel attacked, well feel so.

If it is then you failed because UWOL was all done by me and it was Gauntman that sent me a message saying that he agrees with my ideas.

My part it's all done but I think yours isn't because that music aren't similar to the original and I am really sure Pokey can do a little more...

LOL. Gauntman has already reduced the tunes, because they "do too much", and interfere with the gfx. Routines.

P.s.- the game has a little bit more than what you saw on the video.

We talked from time to time and the Project is not dead.

Gauntman moved to a new work in another country more his family so not much time.

Funny.

This one is "real" taken from an Atari. It's the full converted Soundtrack for UWOL. Heck, it's almost 3 years old. Recorded by Analmux (great thanks) , and kept hidden for the "upcoming release" of the game ....as there is no release to expect....

The tunes are almost 4 channels only one of them is based on 3 channels. You should listen to the variations, and the used frequency range.

They also show that it is not usually deforming POKEY waves , just as Altirra shows. And you always listen to an instrument, you wouldn't expect when using 4 channels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_2XDqaygcY

Nice collection of tunes. Hopefully the game will eventually be released.

Emkay that isn't true.

Gauntman know from the begining that game was in 48bytes wide mode and he said he could go with that.

You that have a good Head to remember old and pick-up old Posts you know that the game could go in 32bytes Narrow Mode (but you only pick-up old Posts when that it is of your interest and to try showing your points of view).

But Gauntman always refused that screen looking that I think it's not all that bad and if it is the only solution to have the game working then I would, for sure go well with that.

The cpu problems is that Gauntman want to have same Engine also on NTSC. I even tried to persuade him to release the PAL version and then, simple change the screen into 32bytes wide Mode only for the NTSC version.

Emkay that isn't true.

Gauntman know from the begining that game was in 48bytes wide mode and he said he could go with that.

You that have a good Head to remember old and pick-up old Posts you know that the game could go in 32bytes Narrow Mode (but you only pick-up old Posts when that it is of your interest and to try showing your points of view).

But Gauntman always refused that screen looking that I think it's not all that bad and if it is the only solution to have the game working then I would, for sure go well with that.

The cpu problems is that Gauntman want to have same Engine also on NTSC. I even tried to persuade him to release the PAL version and then, simple change the screen into 32bytes wide Mode only for the NTSC version.

You recognize the squares around the moving objects?

You have 2 chances to get rid of them....

1. remove the backround graphics

2. make a bit check of the background and add it to the moving object, every moving cycle.

Number 1 will work easily

Number 2 you can forget in 48 bytes width with single scanline charmodes.

About "more possible" with POKEY. Remember, you both didn't realize the sound error in the Video. That's why it's still in there.

but, if you think you could do the tunes "more original" using 4 channels (as a preset), RMT is still there. No coding necessary.

Emkay: Go see Tebe's Pang that is almost same way but even more heavy cpu use:

-> same use of charmode

-> same 48bytes wide Mode but more charlines using (almost all screen full of gfxs)

-> same p0 and p1 overaying our guy soft sprite but the guy and shots have much more bytes/chars

-> p2 and pf3 expanded width as underlays to have more colour on some platforms like the coins in Uwol

-> balls much more soft sprites and moving in all directions when Uwol only has maximum:

4enemys 2x2 chars only move horizontaly

and two 2x2chars moving 4ways (our guy and the ghost).

As you can see Tebe didn't even need to use your beloved gr.7!

Emkay: Go see Tebe's Pang that is almost same way but even more heavy cpu use:

-> same use of charmode

-> same 48bytes wide Mode but more charlines using (almost all screen full of gfxs)

-> same p0 and p1 overaying our guy soft sprite but the guy and shots have much more bytes/chars

-> p2 and pf3 expanded width as underlays to have more colour on some platforms like the coins in Uwol

-> balls much more soft sprites and moving in all directions when Uwol only has maximum:

4enemys 2x2 chars only move horizontaly

and two 2x2chars moving 4ways (our guy and the ghost).

As you can see Tebe didn't even need to use your beloved gr.7!

Again, you mixup things. Pang doesn't use PM overlay to enhance the graphics. UWOL uses overlay also for moving objects. Games using charmode and PM overlay usually moved in charmode resolution on NTSC machines.

Pang also use p2 and p3 quadruple width to colour some platforms exactly like the coins in Uwol.

And what's the diference in have just pmgs or have them static expanded width under or overlaying gfxs in any of the available priors when you only do the bitmap masking between pfs and no 'double work' because there's no 'interaction' between the pmgs.

Emkay you can fool some others but me you don't fool with your always "I am the owner of the Truth!..." when most of wgat you say doesn't correspond to the Truth.

Emkay you can fool some others but me you don't fool with your always "I am the owner of the Truth!..." when most of wgat you say doesn't correspond to the Truth.

The "truth" is, you count from 1 to 10 , just overseeing that there is only a max. of 6 available. 1 3 5 7 9 10.... is also a range from 1 to 10 with only 6 values ;)

When talking about a finished game "conversion" , you have to put in mind "ALL" needed features. On the Atari you have to search for the temporary places to fill the count with the missing 2 4 6 8 numbers, but they will not be available at the same time...

The "truth" is, you count from 1 to 10 , just overseeing that there is only a max. of 6 available. 1 3 5 7 9 10.... is also a range from 1 to 10 with only 6 values ;)

When talking about a finished game "conversion" , you have to put in mind "ALL" needed features. On the Atari you have to search for the temporary places to fill the count with the missing 2 4 6 8 numbers, but they will not be available at the same time...

Yes Emkay when you realize you weren't right you start with that examples or 'quote' others posts and answer with what has nothing to do with what others are saying...

PANG it's done and working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKd4eUK57w

Then TeBe need people to create the Levels and there was a contest to

get the 24/28 Levels of the game at AtariOnline:

http://translate.goo...9-lU-zHpTVWaJlA

Now compare this much larger scrreen with almost all 240scanlines used and lots of Balls moving with the much less sized used in Uwol:

post-6517-0-06019700-1356016595.png

(and Uwol with just smal 2x2chars sized sprites where most of them only move in horizontall diirection)

From recent talking about Pang releasing TeBe said he was waiting for

XXL relase of the XBios.

-> You said that there wasn't overlays in Pang on the moving ojects:

(But I still cannot get what's the problem if the PMGs don't overlap each other or respect their priority number when going aboveor under the other(s) )

(guy has PMGs overlaying soft sprite that use PFs: Pink, White and Black)

post-6517-0-77207000-1356014179_thumb.png

there also in the shots the Light Gray:

post-6517-0-23773600-1356014287_thumb.png

You can also see from the Program TeBe created so that people can create the levels for the game ( and in the future also on the game you can create your own Levels) the overlays PMGs refering on the Menu and PFs colours:

post-6517-0-45118800-1356014593_thumb.png

-> There is't also underlays on Pang, right?

(expanded, for sure quadruple width as underlays to get more colour on some Platforms)

post-6517-0-01239100-1356014383_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-65620500-1356014387_thumb.png

Now waiting for your new 'Blah, Blah' answer...

Edited by José Pereira

Now waiting for your new 'Blah, Blah' answer...

How to compare two unseen working games yet?

As it seems, Pang uses straight "always on top" colours for the bubbles... just Playfield colours. Only the protagonist is overlayed more complex.

In Uwol every moving object has an overlay... so there is already more to do with them.

And, judging on the video of Pang, the refresh is rather low. Seems like 12-18 fps for the bubbles, as UWOL is aimed using 50fps...

Edited by emkay