IGNORED

whats in store for 2003?

PeeknPoke

Hi there!

The Starfire demo looks excellent.

Thanks!

What about the gameplay? If I remember correctly the original didn't have much. Mabe it's a chance to strech out with some A.I.

That's the part I'm working on currently. It's a pretty hard task. I already had to adopt the game in several ways to make it possible at all on the VCS, so I can't tell how close it'll be to the Arcade in the end. You certainly can't expect an almost 1:1 port like "Space Instigators" here.

Certain stuff just kills the VCS, like the tracking aid device for example. There's no way to display that, so it'll just be missing.

And I've adopted the gameplay too, to fit the target - On the VCS you can't throw in coins to buy more fuel - So I replaced the whole laser-heat/fuel stuff with a more standart "shield" system. Also I'm trying to break the game down from endless play into a waves/stages concept.

Well, I'm trying to make the game as good as possible on the VCS, but that means just like with my Gunfight port, that it won't necesarily be that close to the arcade, since I rate playability higher than authency.

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, I'm trying to make the game as good as possible on the VCS, but that means just like with my Gunfight port, that it won't necesarily be that close to the arcade, since I rate playability higher than authency.

Greetings,

Manuel

Its got the arcade feel to it and thats what matters. It does what the best Atari arcade conversions do.

BTW I like the new title tune.

Lee

Hi Dor-x!

What directions of gameplay do you have in mind?

Well, most of it gets dictated by the limits of the VCS. I have no real overall plan how everything will turn out in the end. In the demo I posted, you will occasionally notice some small diamond. If you manage to shot it, your shield will be recharged.

Then the VCS can only compute 10 objects in the Star Fire universe. While one of these is reserved for the own shot and one is for either a diamond or a mother ship, I have another 8 objects, which can either be ships or shots. I currently programm a system with *maximum* tables. Here it is, for 20 different levels - which I hope are progressing in difficulty:

Wave Ships Shots

1 2 1

6 3 1

11 2 2

16 4 1

21 3 2

26 2 3

31 5 1

36 4 2

41 3 3

46 2 4

51 6 1

56 5 2

61 4 3

66 3 4

71 2 5

76 6 2

81 5 3

86 4 4

91 3 5

96 2 6

Well, that's what I am working on at the moment... I'm very curious how this'll turn out, when fully implemented :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi Manuel

I'm sorry, mabe it's my english, but I don't understand what these numbers stand for. Could you explaine?

Are the ships going to have some kind of patterns of movements or are going to fly unpurposely?

Will it be pre-set patterns of movement or will they be calculated on the spot, in response to the player's actions?

Can you move the 8 object anywhere regardless of one another?

regards

dor-x

Hi dor-x!

I'm sorry, mabe it's my english, but I don't understand what these numbers stand for. Could you explaine?

The first line means for example, that on waves 1-5 there's a maximum of 2 ships and 1 shot at once allowed.

(ships can be anywhere, their shots can only be on coordinates that are visible)

I don't want to get to technical here, but I assume you'll quickly get the idea when playing. These tables are used internally only...

Are the ships going to have some kind of patterns of movements or are going to fly unpurposely?

Will it be pre-set patterns of movement or will they be calculated on the spot, in response to the player's actions?

I will let them do more or less random movement only. Almost as is, only with additional casual changes of direction. Much "More" AI doesn't even make sense I think - what else than flying around and occasionally shooting at you should they do anyway? :D

Can you move the 8 object anywhere regardless of one another?

Yes. Only issue is, the flicker is evenly devided between all objects that are horizontal overlapping. I think in the Star Fire arcade, you are often attacked by clusters of 3-4 ships sitting on almost the same spot. On the VCS I would rather avoid such situations, since the flicker on that would be horrible. The engine *could* do it though.

Well, I can't say much more at the moment, since everything just evolves. Once I have a really playable version, I'll publish it, so I can react on the feedback.

It's only very limited what one can actually do on the VCS. I think you have the max. possible Strategy elements already in Starmaster & Solaris, so I'm trying to rather provide a hell lot of action with this one.

In general, comparing it again with the arcade, it'll be less "simulation", but more "action"...

Do you know the C64 or the Atari 8-Bit ports per chance? My goal is to do at least a "better than that" version for the VCS :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi Manuel

I don't know of an official star fire for c64. It does have a few star wars games, which seems similar.

However, I don't want to intrude your passion and goals, but I have to say that with your abilities and talent you can do much more than a technical achievement.

We already have star fire, and I believe it's playable on mame.

Why waste your talen on a simple port?! you can take it further, like you did with Gunfight, didn't you?

As for the aliens ship, and their movement, I have one word to say :

Galaxian.

Give us eloquent and dynamic movement that will challenge us even 20 years from now.

regard

dor-x

He already said he'd be "enhancing" it a bit here and there to fit into 2600-at-home format (i.e. the fuel issue). :)

By the way, is StarFire 100% playable in Mame now? Last I checked it was still a little off (especially with the forward/reverse thrust). If it's 100% now that'll be awesome :)

• 2 weeks later...
I will be re-releasing boxed Polo cartridges at the Philly Classic 4 this year.  I have had a ton of requests, and these should be very nice copies.  Each will be a numbered box complete with manual, box insert, cartridge and full color labels.

Cassidy, how many copies of POLO did you have for sale last year's show? I seem to recall that it was a fairly low number. Also, how many are you planning to release this time around?

:) Always good to hear my efforts aren't in vain.....

The run will be at 30 boxed, possibly more after the show. Last year, I had a run of 40 for the show, but there was such an interest, it went to 75.

I do not want to "flood" the market. This last year's CGExpo had so many games, I don't know that anyone actually sold all of their copies. My wife and I of course foot the expense, so I really want to be sure there is a market.

As for an update, Christopher Tumber has done an amazing intro for the game. The Polo rider rides across the screen under the title, hits the ball, and runs on across. Wild to see it "updated", and then you just hit a button and it goes right into the game play (no game play was modified, Carol Shaw takes all the credit for that one!). Osmeroid is working up a fantastic new-style box, and we will have complete full color manuals, lables and boxes all ready for the show. Production is slow, only had time to make 5 so far! Looks like I need to get going! :)

Thanks for the interest. I am planning on getting a screen shot to Albert in the coming weeks.

Cassidy

I do not want to "flood" the market.  This last year's CGExpo had so many games, I don't know that anyone actually sold all of their copies.  My wife and I of course foot the expense, so I really want to be sure there is a market.

You can definitely put me down for one at the show. Like I said before, I’ve been kicking myself for not picking one up last year. This year’s version sounds great so maybe that fact will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

(I’ve got a 3 day pass to PC4. I just hope that I don’t blow all my cash on day one!)

:) Always good to hear my efforts aren't in vain.....

The run will be at 30 boxed' date=' possibly more after the show. Last year, I had a run of 40 for the show, but there was such an interest, it went to 75. [/quote']

I'm confused. Que esta "Polo"? I don't even remember this game being at the Expo last year, or advertised as such. And from what I recall, it wasn't the homebrew games that weren't selling (I think all of the Vectrex games and most of the 2600 games did) it was the prototype reproductions like Crack'd and Save the Whales that were moving slowly. Yeah the box looked spiffy and I'm sure the cart inside looked nifty but $40 seemed like a little much for something that never came out in the 1980's, and probably for good reason.

Now this "Polo" on the other hand sounds interesting.

MegaMan,

This game was originally written by Carol Shaw back in 78 before she left Atari and went to Activision. This game was written as a cross-promotional between Atari and Ralph Lauren, also owned by Warner at the time. It was supposed to be a sales give-away, but due to the fact Atari was no longer in the 2K game business, and the fact that is a stupid idea (yeah, like every rich old guy in '78 had a 2600 lying around). A few protos ended up in New York (I believe it was Bloomingdales), with hand written instructions.

The game was never commercially released, and the binary was made available when Stella gets a new Brain was released a few years back. I contacted Carol Shaw, and got her blessings to run a limited number of the carts. The latest one I am working on also now has a wonderful intro screen (thanks to the digital genius of Christopher Tumber) and some great look print art to go with it (thanks to the graphic genius of Osmeroid).

I did not have many left (read as "I had 3 left by Vegas!") after Philly and filling the orders I had from that show, so you are correct that it was not there (in big numbers, anyway. I had the last three sold in 10 minutes of arriving at the show; show had not even started yet!).

I have not played any of the CGExpo release games, so I cannot speak to the play value. Polo got my attention, because I think it has the "replay" value, that something special that some of the early games like Combat really have. I made the first one because I wanted it, and there was such an interest, I made a few more. This one I am doing just for fun. Sort of nice to update it a bit, I think. Hey its a 4K eprom, might as well use it all up! :)

Cassidy

I have not played any of the CGExpo release games, so I cannot speak to the play value.  Polo got my attention, because I think it has the "replay" value, that something special that some of the early games like Combat really have.  I made the first one because I wanted it, and there was such an interest, I made a few more.  This one I am doing just for fun.  Sort of nice to update it a bit, I think.  Hey its a 4K eprom, might as well use it all up!  :)

Cassidy

I can vouch for the play value of this game. I played against Stan at the Cinciclassic and it is a fun game. Much more interesting to me than the unfinished prototypes--even though Stan kicked my ass at the game.

Only problem is I think I'll have to take out a home equity loan before the phillyclassic. Looks like there will be too many cool items there.

I'm confused.  Que esta "Polo"?  I don't even remember this game being at the Expo last year, or advertised as such.  And from what I recall, it wasn't the homebrew games that weren't selling (I think all of the Vectrex games and most of the 2600 games did) it was the prototype reproductions like Crack'd and Save the Whales that were moving slowly.  Yeah the box looked spiffy and I'm sure the cart inside looked nifty but $40 seemed like a little much for something that never came out in the 1980's, and probably for good reason.

Now this "Polo" on the other hand sounds interesting.

Polo is quite fun in that limited early-2600 kinda fun way (see : Combat, Air Sea Battle, etc). It has a decent AI and I would assume that it really shines as a two player title. Plus, Cassidy and his wife are two of the nicest people that I talked to at the PhillyClassic last year, so that's reason enough to support their efforts in my book. The only reason that I didn't pick a copy up last time around is that the fates were working against me and I was having to move out of my house in the two weeks following the event. Thus, I only had about $50 cash to spend and a small bag full of trades for the two days of the show. Not so this year; I'll be first in line to get a Polo @ PC4!

I did end up getting a copy of both Crack'ed {1988} and Pick Up {1983} from Sean Kelly after last year's CGE, so I'm kinda glad that they didn't sell out! Both are fun games (Crack'ed is especially good) and had very professional looking packaging. I do agree that $45/$40 is pretty steep for Atari repros but I really wanted 'em since seeing them demoed at the PhillyClassic. I thought about Save The Whales too but did decide that $40 was too much for it.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. My wife was reading this with me, and says thanks as well. :)

Consider yourself counted for a copy. PM me if you would be interested in one as soon as they are ready.

Stan took it to Cinci, eh? Cool to know one got there. Everybody was so supportive of the efforts on it. This year, I learned some of the pitfalls to avoid:

Pitfall 1: Dont go to Kinkos. Ever.

Pitfall 2: 2732's do not map out the same as 2532's

Pitfall 3: Wish I had known about Joe Grand's new boards.....

:)

Can't wait to have some pics for you guys. Looking forward to seeing you all in Philly. I should have Computer Space in tow as well :) Come on by for a game (if you can call it that....more like blobs in space).

Cassidy

Wow, thanks for the kind words.  My wife was reading this with me, and says thanks as well.  :)  

I concur with him. After meeting you and yours at the Expo, I was more than impressed. My only dissapointment was that I wasn't in the ballpark for your Chase the Chuckwagon. I would however go for a copy of Polo if you're making some more and they're affordable! :D If it's $20 for a loose copy (I don't need a box or instructions) please put me down for one. If it's more because you only have boxed, I'll still consider it. ;)

Pitfall 1:  Dont go to Kinkos.  Ever.

I've had some pretty bad experiences with Kinkos also. I don't trust them to do anything to my satisfaction. The only thing I use them for now is when I need a large job cut and/or folded. Even this they can't always do very accurately. I hope to completely eliminate my need to use them (or another print shop) for these two purposes soon enough.

..Al