IGNORED

Is an Atari your main (or close to it) computer?

Curious if anyone here considers their Atari to me the main computer of the household, one that gets most use for everyday computing.

Over on the Firebee threads Mathias appears to be heavily into Atari and not sure if it is considered his main system, but it appears that way.

Fascinates me that there may still be folks that use their Atari professionally or consider it their main system for day to day computing in this Internet based world.

I have such fond memories of Atari from when I purchased my first one, and Atari 800 in 1980 I believe. Purchased with my own paper route money and damn was it expensive for a tyke like me but I wanted one and thought Atari was best.

Then graduated to Atari Mega 2 ST in 1990 and that was my main system until around 1995. Was sad to see Atari moving away from the whole computer scene but I also liked Macs so moved onto Mac around that time.

I have fond memories of reading every single Atari magazine I could buy back then and really wanted to see Atari kick some butt. Alas it was not meant to be and they faded away. Really sad that the biggest video gaming company in the world at one time has become nothing but a shell of what it was. If they played their cards right they could have still been.

Anyway, it seems in some places outside of the USA Atari is still pretty cool in computing. Maybe Germany still has a nice little following of pro users? Not sure but curious of anyone here really uses Atari in this day and age professionally or at least as a day to day system to get work done.

TJ

• Like 1

Well, I'd not consider one of my computers as my main system, as I often fall in and out of love with one of them, but I have several systems for special purposes:

An MSI PC as my fileserver, a Power Macintosh 8600 as my mailclient (Outlook Express for Mac OS is still one of the best mailclients imho), and for surfing (if already switched on), my Falcon for different Atari specific stuff, mp3, home-ftp holding Atari software, and for reading forums which don't need JavaScript (so not for AtariAge, unfortunately), my Win PCs for gaming and surfing, my other Macintoshes for webstuff and such.

Yeah, it's a lot of web specific stuff, including www, im, irc, e-mail, ftp, whatever over here. :D

Well, I posted a reply to this same topic on AtariForums, but... :)

My Mega ST that runs my BBS runs 24/7, which trumps everything else I've got for use,

in terms of actual time running.

My STacy, when I've not got it broke down for some upgrade or mod or the other, goes

to work with me about half the time. My Falcon 060 sees intermittent use, as does my

Mega STe. My Lynx and Jaguar (still Atari's!) get weekly use by me and the kids.

My main desktop PC runs Kubuntu Linux, it serves as the central hub for internet use,

and the occasional game (Guild Wars mostly for me). Its also the comp my wife uses.

My Dell laptop also runs Kubuntu Linux, and its in use, mostly at work, on the days I

don't take my STacy.

So yeah, Atari's are still a big/main part of my computing world. I don't see that really

changing in any way either. That's a good thing. :)

Over on the Firebee threads Mathias appears to be heavily into Atari and not sure if it is considered his main system, but it appears that way.

Well my Hades is right beside my PM 9600/G4 800 that two are my main systems. Macs, as a "political" decision, only with Mac OS 9!

But I am not doing very complicated things. Little bit photo editing, some layouts, web issues, office and listening to music. Sadly I have to take the Mac not only for browsing modern sites with huge CSS and JavaScrips, but also for Mail, as my provider needs TLS authentification for the IMAP server that is not availaible at the Atari side.

But I hope situation will drastically improve with Netsurf further development and others.

But I am in no case the "die hard atari user". There are others that ar much deeper inside "just using Ataris". Because of all the communication at the ACP/FireBee with all the potential customers, I know that there are several people out there using their Ataris productive, and as well for jobs. Mostly because of special issues. Calamus, Sequencers, Database, or very special things. For example last week a guy from Australia contacted us, because he got a mixing-desk automation software at his MegaST, and would like a hardware replacement. Such very special fields occure all the time. And I have the feeling, there is a very huge user basis.

And, most of these people willnever show up at the forums. They are working with their Ataris, and do not count it as Game machine, retro, or cool lifestyle item.

But what I would really like to know if there is somebody outside "just" using Ataris, with no fallback or backup possibility for the tasks not possible with our beloved machins. ;)

I don't use an Atari on a daily basis, don't see the point, and haven't since 1989. This is not to diminish the Atari.

I just don't see what it would "prove" (note the quotes) to do so, and it's almost ridiculous to attempt.

Look, the reason I'm into Atari Computers now is because I AM INTERESTED IN THEM. They do NOT need to justify themselves to me with some modern utility. They did that long ago, in an era in which they were most appropriate to do so. I LOVE them now, as they've an object of *choice* rather than necessity. Is that not enough?

I have always cussed my computer a couple of times a week, since the early/mid 1980s. It's easier to do that to a "modern" computer than my Ataris, which I never cuss at anymore, since I CHOOSE to use them now.

• Like 1

Well, if you're looking for a reply that shows something our Atari's our used for with no backup, then I'd

have to repeat what I said about my Mega ST that runs my BBS. Its a full featured BBS, telnetable (love

new verbs!), running 24/7.

I could easily switch to an emulator and run it on a so called "modern" PC, running Windows or Linux

but I don't need to. I'm perfectly happy running my BBS on real Atari hardware and software.

There ya go. :)

Well, Mr. Darklord, I really like telnetting to your bbs, although I have to admit I rather use a slightly more modern system to do so, just as Mac OS 9 or Windows 2000. ;-)

I tried everything from Macintosh System 7 to Mac OS X 10.4 and Win98se to WinXP with different clients. Also tried my Falcon, but unfortunately the telnet program used with it wasn't too stable.

For quite some time I had an Atari setup as a webserver for my not so overexaggerated Atari page. :-D

I think one day I'll try MiNT with an Apache to do so again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

99% of what I do with my main computer revolves around the internet and there is no web browser for the Atari that can handle the internet as it stands today. I also don't have any way of getting my ST connected to my cable modem which would mean dial up with a phone modem and I don't even have a standalone 56k modem. The fastest standalone modem I ever had, and I'm not even sure if I even still have it, was 14.4k.

Well my Hades is right beside my PM 9600/G4 800 that two are my main systems. Macs, as a "political" decision, only with Mac OS 9!

But I am not doing very complicated things. Little bit photo editing, some layouts, web issues, office and listening to music. Sadly I have to take the Mac not only for browsing modern sites with huge CSS and JavaScrips, but also for Mail, as my provider needs TLS authentification for the IMAP server that is not availaible at the Atari side.

But I hope situation will drastically improve with Netsurf further development and others.

But I am in no case the "die hard atari user". There are others that ar much deeper inside "just using Ataris". Because of all the communication at the ACP/FireBee with all the potential customers, I know that there are several people out there using their Ataris productive, and as well for jobs. Mostly because of special issues. Calamus, Sequencers, Database, or very special things. For example last week a guy from Australia contacted us, because he got a mixing-desk automation software at his MegaST, and would like a hardware replacement. Such very special fields occure all the time. And I have the feeling, there is a very huge user basis.

And, most of these people willnever show up at the forums. They are working with their Ataris, and do not count it as Game machine, retro, or cool lifestyle item.

But what I would really like to know if there is somebody outside "just" using Ataris, with no fallback or backup possibility for the tasks not possible with our beloved machins. ;)

What web browser are you using with Mac OS 9 that can handle the "modern" internet? There is none as far as I know. Classzilla is the newest and it's still a long way from being as functional the latest FF and IE releases, and I know iCab 3.0.5 can't handle it, so what are you using?

Edited by OldAtarian

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I posted a reply to this same topic on AtariForums, but... :)

My Mega ST that runs my BBS runs 24/7, which trumps everything else I've got for use,

in terms of actual time running.

My STacy, when I've not got it broke down for some upgrade or mod or the other, goes

to work with me about half the time. My Falcon 060 sees intermittent use, as does my

Mega STe. My Lynx and Jaguar (still Atari's!) get weekly use by me and the kids.

I'd love to hear more about your 060 upgrade to your Falcon. I'm assuming you've taken the Falcon mobo out and installed it in a case like the Wizztronics model, right? Or did you take the floppy and HDD out to make room for the upgrade and a possible SD reader?

I'm not looking forward to salvaging my Falcon out of storage and doing the surgery to remove the battery and all...

Darklord put his Falcon into a pitch black Wizztronic Desktop case.

Up to now it did not find out of it and thus works in Darkness. :-D

It's also possible to throw the power supply out of the original casing to use an adapter which lets the CT60 be placed in the left back corner. CTPCI and Radeon graphics can be fitted in the original case as well, but this scenario is not for Falcon boards with claustrophobia!

A move into a tower case is likely as well, but the coolest replacement casing for a Falcon I've seen so far is Beetles' adaption of a TT case.

I'd love to hear more about your 060 upgrade to your Falcon. I'm assuming you've taken the Falcon mobo out and installed it in a case like the Wizztronics model, right? Or did you take the floppy and HDD out to make room for the upgrade and a possible SD reader?

I'm not looking forward to salvaging my Falcon out of storage and doing the surgery to remove the battery and all...

Yes, its actually in a Wizztronics Falcon Rack. You can follow the link in my sig to see some pictures. Just follow the Atari stuff. :)

Darklord put his Falcon into a pitch black Wizztronic Desktop case.

Up to now it did not find out of it and thus works in Darkness. :-D

It's also possible to throw the power supply out of the original casing to use an adapter which lets the CT60 be placed in the left back corner. CTPCI and Radeon graphics can be fitted in the original case as well, but this scenario is not for Falcon boards with claustrophobia!

A move into a tower case is likely as well, but the coolest replacement casing for a Falcon I've seen so far is Beetles' adaption of a TT case.

Yes, but I'm only using black until something *darker* comes along... :)

PS Beetle did a really good job on his - if I had the extra Mega STe case

back then that I do now, I'd probably have tried that route.