IGNORED

Prince of Persia ported to C64!

So it seems good ol' Prince of Persia has been ported from its happy Apple ][ home to the Commodore 64. There was a writeup in Joystiq about it today.

I've downloaded the game and checked it out in VICE. To play on a real C64 you need an EasyFlash cartridge (or 100% compatible), which I unfortunately do not have. But it looks like a very solid port. Even Jordan Mechner commented on the port, expressing admiration on the developer's blog about the port.

Any chance of this making it on a real C64 cart?

Probably not due to IP issues, but it's relatively easy enough to put it on your own EasyFlash cartridge for under $40.

Well, if Mechner himself liked it it may make it easier to deal with the IP issue.

You know, given that I actually worked for Broderbund Software for awhile, I never noticed that there wasn't a C64 port of "Prince of Persia" (I did work on the PC and Commodore Amiga versions). Probably because they were too busy making C64 ports of all of the goddamn Carmen SanDiego games.

Any chance of this making it on a real C64 cart?

Probably not due to IP issues, but it's relatively easy enough to put it on your own EasyFlash cartridge for under $40.

Well, if Mechner himself liked it it may make it easier to deal with the IP issue.

You know, given that I actually worked for Broderbund Software for awhile, I never noticed that there wasn't a C64 port of "Prince of Persia" (I did work on the PC and Commodore Amiga versions). Probably because they were too busy making C64 ports of all of the goddamn Carmen SanDiego games.

Yes, Mechner himself gave the project high praise. The only problem is that Ubisoft technically owns the rights to the game since acquiring the rights to the Prince of Persia franchise. And I figure Ubisoft would be a bit less forgiving and probably a good bit more litigious about it.

Especially given the fact that ports of the original game is available on XBLA, PSN, and iOS devices (itself a port of the Mac version), and has been included with one of the modern releases in the series (PoP: The Forgotten Sands for the Wii, if I'm not mistaken, which contained the original Apple II version).

Curious, did Mechner say why Broderbund didn't do a C64 version? They did put it out on just about everything else at the time. Hardware limitations maybe?

According to the article that the OP linked:

Mechner also solved the mystery of why there wasn't an official C64 version, even though there were so many ports: "Back in 1989, when I was making POP on the Apple II, I couldn't get anyone interested in doing a C64 port," he commented, "because it was too old a system."

Curious, did Mechner say why Broderbund didn't do a C64 version? They did put it out on just about everything else at the time. Hardware limitations maybe?

Considering there are ZX Spectrum and GameBoy versions, among others, it was never a question of system capabilities (which the C-64 was never wanting for), just, as Mechner stated, market conditions as determined by the publisher. Quite frankly, there wouldn't even have been an Apple II version if that wasn't the original version coded, since we are talking 1989 and most major publishers had long since moved beyond the 8-bit computer markets. In any case, it's still something of a notable omission, much like the C-64 getting the only 8-bit computer port of Ultima VI in 1991, and the Apple II - which had been the lead platform for Ultima up to that - being left out entirely.