IGNORED

TurboFreezer XL/XE 2011 preorder starts now

HiassofT

I really hate to even ask, but are there any updates to this?

No problem with asking :-)

Current status is: still delayed

I'm still very busy with my job and haven't been able to work on it (writing the docs, start production planning) since december last year :-( This week I got an email from Wolfram, as I suspected he's still waiting for telephone and DSL.

so long,

Hias

It would not solve all the time constraints, but feasible to sell as a KIT? (I looked briefly through the thread but didn't see an pics of the actual internals of the freezer, and if it has SMT components, that probably rules out a kit.)

-Larry

No problem with asking :-)

Current status is: still delayed

I'm still very busy with my job and haven't been able to work on it (writing the docs, start production planning) since december last year :-( This week I got an email from Wolfram, as I suspected he's still waiting for telephone and DSL.

so long,

Hias

Hi Larry!

It would not solve all the time constraints, but feasible to sell as a KIT? (I looked briefly through the thread but didn't see an pics of the actual internals of the freezer, and if it has SMT components, that probably rules out a kit.)

Only very few components are THT, here's a pic of the PCBs:

post-9299-0-05957400-1331549676_thumb.jpg

Selling it as a kit wouldn't make too much sense, you'd need a JTAG programming cable and be experienced in soldering fine-pitch SMT stuff (even I don't like soldering TQFP, so I leave this to Wolfram :-)

The hardware and software is finished but we still have to do 2 important things:

I have to write the docs. The German manual is approx 2/3 finished (currently on page 40 or so) but I haven't started with the English version yet. Selling the TurboFreezer without a manual doesn't make any sense, you wouldn't know how to use all it's features.

We have to get quotes for all the components, PCBs etc, check assembly-, packaging- and shipping costs to calculate the final price. The price calculation is very thight, we don't make any money from it, but also can't afford to make a loss.

so long,

Hias

why 3 board design?

if this is all of components that are there, then you should fit on that bottom board ;)

Wolfram had routing problems, especially with the 2 PLCC flashes- using TSSOP would have been easier to route but he got a good price on those PLCC chips :)

so long,

Hias

it would be hard to route with passthough on the other end, but with 4 layer pcb it should be a cheaper solution than 3 board design

you don't want to deal with loose connectors issues - its already complicated as it is, without this kind of b-s ;)

if you need some help - just ask

it would be hard to route with passthough on the other end, but with 4 layer pcb it should be a cheaper solution than 3 board design

Back then when we started designing and checked PCB prices 4-layer wasn't an option. It was much more expensive than 2-layer.

BTW: just saw that iteadstudio is now also offering 4-layer PCBs (but only in prototype quantities). Still the price is 3-4 times the price of a 2-layer.

so long,

Hias

• 3 months later...

check technoservice - prices are very reasonable, not to mention if you decide to go china

I compared prices for the same proto order (for 10 x 2 layer PCB):

technoservice => Euro 46,6 => $58.40, requires PCBs to be panelized due to individual PCB size, don't know the cost of shipping.

Iteadstudio => Euro 7.96 => $ 9.98, requires PCBs non-panelized, cost of shipping is $4.00

Edited by atari8warez

Wolfram was able to shrink the XE adapter PCB down to 10cm max length and he received a first batch of working prototypes about a month ago. He also ordered and received 100 XL adapter boards, so he can start assembling them as soon as he has some spare time.

As for PCBs: we're ordering them from Iteadstudio. Quality of the prototypes has been really nice so far, and the price is great (something like 3-4 EUR per PCB, depending on possible taxes, including shipping, ENIG finish and 100% E-test).

Haven't talked to Wolfram for a month or so, guess he's also still swamped, I'll post an update as soon as I hear something from him.

@Marius: of course you are still on the list, as all others are, too!

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

I feel like some kid that cannot wait until xmas finally happens.

Me the same. Since the developers sent me their prototype to write a review I WANT this thing really back. Unfortunately I had to sent the prototype back. It is such a fantastic device, I can't live without it ;-)