IGNORED

Arcadia 2001 Multicart - 2011 version - any interest?

5-11under

Wow, back when I made Arcadia multicarts, hardly anyone was interested and I charged less too. Must have become popular over the years. :)

First, CPUWIZ, I didn't even know that you MADE an Arcadia multicart. I guess that you dabble a little bit in everything!

I bet that people also want this multicart because of the sheer amount of software on it. It can't hurt that one of the games is so rare that only three are known to exist and it sells for $500. This is the first time that I've seen the ROM publically available. I like that there are now several full-fledged homebrews for this system and that they will be included too.

Adam

Wow, back when I made Arcadia multicarts, hardly anyone was interested and I charged less too. Must have become popular over the years. :)

First, CPUWIZ, I didn't even know that you MADE an Arcadia multicart. I guess that you dabble a little bit in everything!

I bet that people also want this multicart because of the sheer amount of software on it. It can't hurt that one of the games is so rare that only three are known to exist and it sells for $500. This is the first time that I've seen the ROM publically available. I like that there are now several full-fledged homebrews for this system and that they will be included too.

Adam

http://www.atariage....icart-for-sale/ ;)

EDIT: 5-11under, I am not trying to piss on your thread, good luck with the sale. :thumbsup:

Now seems to be a good time to update the prices from the original post. ;)

The price I've been working with over the past week or so, once I had more than a handful of interested people, is $100 US maximum for all pre-orders. That includes shipping in a box (from Canada) to US and Canadian addresses.

Adam

EDIT: jaybird, I am not trying to piss on your thread, good luck with the sale. :thumbsup:

It's 5-11under, and this is the Arcadia 2001, not the Aquarius. ;)

edit: and thanks!

Edited by 5-11under

Adam

EDIT: 5-11under, I am not trying to piss on your thread, good luck with the sale. :thumbsup:

I also just had to chime in and say that I find it amazing that there are enough Arcadia fans out there now to support three different multicarts (two of which aren't available now). Back when I first got into the Arcadia scene it seemed that Ward and I were the only two people in the US who even knew what is was. Just like the Aquarius, the popularity of previously ignored systems seems to be skyrocketing. What next, a Spectravideo SV-328 multicart (please?)? :)

What next, a Spectravideo SV-328 multicart (please?)? :)

Well, if somebody wants to send me one, I might just try it someday (although I've really always wanted the SV-318 because I liked its built-in joystick).

It is interesting that niche systems like the Arcadia and Aquarius are getting new attention all these years later. For me, the Aquaricart project was an attempt to find new frontiers in classic computing and gaming, beyond the ordinary arcade ports on the Atari machines, and it was also a fun way to learn about digital electronics and circuit board design. The Aquarius audience is vanishingly small compared to other classic systems, but it was still a very gratifying project to do, and I'm sure this one will be as well. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Arcadia, but I'm a big believer in multi-carts, so I'm glad to see that 5-11under is developing a new one for it.

Well, if somebody wants to send me one, I might just try it someday (although I've really always wanted the SV-318 because I liked its built-in joystick).

Well I dont want to derail this thread any further, but since 99% of the games are on tape that might be an issue (I think there are only two cart based games: Spectron and Frantic Freddy). Still, they put tape games on the Aquarius cart...

I'd probably want one too. Especially if it's menu driven rather than dip switch.

I think I recently picked up a Math game for MPT-03. Is that confirmed or included? Make sure you get the entire MPT-03 library in there.

And CPU, I'm surprised you didn't sell a few. I think having them available long term helps and promoting them routinely in various venues would help since people may not have cash now but then want to spend in 2 months or whatever.

I also just had to chime in and say that I find it amazing that there are enough Arcadia fans out there now to support three different multicarts (two of which aren't available now). Back when I first got into the Arcadia scene it seemed that Ward and I were the only two people in the US who even knew what is was. Just like the Aquarius, the popularity of previously ignored systems seems to be skyrocketing. What next, a Spectravideo SV-328 multicart (please?)? :)

I learned about the Arcadia 2001 back in 2002... as I had a friend from my old car club who was into audio equipment, he joked that Emerson made "junk" as in stereo equipment, and knowing I was a classic video game guy, had asked if I had the Emerson game console from the early 80s… at that time, I was curious about it…

then in 2004, I came across one at the Mt Clemons Gibraltar trade center, but I didn't have cash that day.. went back a month later and it was gone!

finally, in August… of 2011! I found another... and did not pass it up! I paid $60 for a nice, clean console, with 6 games… and haven't seen anything since as I had been looking for more games everywhere I go!

I cannot wait to get this here multi cart!

Edited by Sonic R

Most of the games for the Arcadia are really unique are deserve better ports on other systems. Of course I'd be happy of someone could polish the games up on the Arcadia, because so many of the games have sloppy programming that hurts the enjoyment of them. The sound in particular in most games is so bad that it can cause hearing damage. :)

Adam

YES! a SVI multicart!!

A quick update... the PCBs have been ordered. I'm now working on the label design. After that, I'll revisit the ROM list. Sources are still Amigan and theoldcomputer, although I also have a set of ROMs from AA member "TheGameCollector" for verification. If there are other sources I should consider, I'd be interested to know.

A quick update... the PCBs have been ordered. I'm now working on the label design. After that, I'll revisit the ROM list. Sources are still Amigan and theoldcomputer, although I also have a set of ROMs from AA member "TheGameCollector" for verification. If there are other sources I should consider, I'd be interested to know.

I may have just found another set on megaupload. I'll compare them soon

I'd probably want one too. Especially if it's menu driven rather than dip switch.

I think I recently picked up a Math game for MPT-03. Is that confirmed or included? Make sure you get the entire MPT-03 library in there.

Sorry, it's a DIP switch model. The switches are extra wide, though, so they'll be easier to handle than your typical DIP switch.

Was that Math/Logic for the MPT-03, or something else?

Sorry, it's a DIP switch model. The switches are extra wide, though, so they'll be easier to handle than your typical DIP switch.

really? I've never had any dip switch items. how do you use those? Is it just like the select switch on the Atari 2600? can you see what game is selected while it's displaying on the TV so you actually know what you're about to start? Or do you have to turn the system on and off every time?

really? I've never had any dip switch items. how do you use those? Is it just like the select switch on the Atari 2600? can you see what game is selected while it's displaying on the TV so you actually know what you're about to start? Or do you have to turn the system on and off every time?

Using DIP switches is the "classic" method of selecting games for a multicart. They look something like this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/90018-anyone-interested-in-5200-sean-kelly-multicart/

You'll need to turn off the console, make a selection, then turn the console on again. Making a menu system, with all the programming, would be much more complex.

Mine uses the same method to select games. Usually the distance from switch to switch is 0.1". The switches I'm using have 0.2" distance from switch to switch. See post #1 in this thread for a crude picture of what the front of the cartridge will look like (at least the switches part, anyway).

So basically each game has a code next to it that says which switches need to be up or down? 0's and 1's meaning on and off?

Yes. There's 8 switches (2 banks of 4). I'll probably incorporate some gray code so that if you want to scroll through every game in the order listed, you'll just have to switch one of the switches (well, maybe 2 or sometimes 3, because of the space-saving encoding method used, where the last switch controls 4K versus 8K max., and the second last switch controls lower 4K or upper 4K for 4K games).

Yes, the title was Math/Logic.

Well, whether I buy one will depend on how nice the label is (I recommend a key with fine print as part of the label so I don't need to look something up to play it) and how nice it is put together. A menu would be more tempting. I'll see how cash flow is when you finally take orders.