Gaztee

There's selling for a profit, and then there's gouging.

When I bought it new... shipped, the total was $86 and change... so $200 isn't insane. Besides, it basically just paid for the Flappy McFur and my Rebooteroids carts I bought.

There's no such thing as price gouging when it comes to luxury items. No one MUST have an Atari Jaguar Impulse-X.

Yep. If people are willing to pay whatever price, that price is fair. No-one is putting a gun to the head of buyers and saying "you must pay this price".

The market will tell sellers if they are selling things for an unfair price - people won't buy it.

Yep, I agree. I could have cleaned house and bought all of them when they were issued, but I only bought two, one as a backup... but have different priorities now. Never the less, for those who couldn't afford to buy the game at the time... that's not necessarily my fault. I purposely save money so that I can buy these games when they become available.

Yep, I agree. I could have cleaned house and bought all of them when they were issued, but I only bought two, one as a backup... but have different priorities now. Never the less, for those who couldn't afford to buy the game at the time... that's not necessarily my fault. I purposely save money so that I can buy these games when they become available.

I purposely save a considerable amount of my money too but not to buy video games. To each their own. If you're saving at all you're ahead of the game in the U.S. Most people blow it as it comes. It is a fact though that someone gets pushed off the end of the list when you buy two. We all know that when these limited runs come along there is no shortage of people ready to buy them. Nevertheless it is still not your problem. It is up to the person selling the games to decide if they want to limit customers to a single copy or not.

• Like 1

I purposely save a considerable amount of my money too but not to buy video games. To each their own. If you're saving at all you're ahead of the game in the U.S. Most people blow it as it comes. It is a fact though that someone gets pushed off the end of the list when you buy two. We all know that when these limited runs come along there is no shortage of people ready to buy them. Nevertheless it is still not your problem. It is up to the person selling the games to decide if they want to limit customers to a single copy or not.

I live well below my means, so yes, I definitely save... not JUST for video games. I rarely play video games, but I *MUST* buy at least one of every Jaguar game, haha...

Anyway... no one's been bumped off a list. Every time I've bought a game, there's almost always an interest / list... so I let them know (like JHL), I'd like two. It's baked into the manufacturing because they know that 2 are going to 82-T/A. Most of the time though, they only let me buy one, and then a few months will go by... and no one is buying the ones that are left over (like Impulse-X)... and then a year later, someone is like... hey, I want to buy one. Not my fault.

Look you bought a game when it was available. Then later on down the road, when the availability was zilch, you sold it for a healthy profit. Feel good about it, okay about it, crappy about it. Whatever. Let other people think what they want about it. There's no point in trying so hard to justify it. People are going to think the way they do regardless. Nothing changes the fact that you bought the game for one price and sold it for quite a bit more. You're not alone in that game but in the Jaguar community it's the game that's played and the result is the same no matter the justifications along the way. It is what it is. I don't buy two copies of Jaguar games but if I were selling the copies I do have would I intentionally sell them for less than the going price? Most people around here absolutely would not. They might come down some for a well known community member but you're probably largely cutting out eBay's cut in that arrangement. They are worth what they are worth. I'd take a community member and collector buying them and later selling them over speculators that have no actual interest in the Jaguar. Those people come along and intentionally artificially inflate the whole Jaguar market (which is small enough that someone with deep enough pockets can single-handedly achieve that.) It has happened on occasion over the years and those people earn the ire of the community. You aren't doing that by selling one rare game.

You are not bound to forever keep every homebrew Jaguar game you ever buy. People are interested and then they aren't. They sell their stuff. Sometimes they have good stuff to sell. It's always interesting to see the rare item come along as opposed to the common games that we see listed day after day with "R@RE!!!" in the title. Still don't claim the difference between the original price and the going price is reasonable. The Prices for Jaguar items are ridiculous. I wouldn't pay $200 for that cart. It's way too much. I would sell it for that much though... if I ever actually brought myself to sell a Jaguar item.

I wouldn't pay $200 for that cart. It's way too much. I would sell it for that much though... if I ever actually brought myself to sell a Jaguar item.

There are some really good homebrews out there, but I do have to say, Impulse-X was definitely worth the price that person paid. That was my totally unused copy of Impulse-X. I obviously wasn't going to sell the one I had already played... although maybe I should have, hah. But that game is by far, definitely worth it. Breakout 2000 sucked, it just did. Impulse-X has the same kind of feel (in my mind) as Defender 2000 and Tempest 2000 does on the Jaguar.

I was a huge fan of Arkanoid growing up, so this game was worth it. The other two games I sold, JHL and Alice's Mom are also awesome, but Impulse-X really exemplifies the Jaguar I think.

I'm going to be so pissed it my Impulse-X fails one day, haha..

Impulse-X is a great game. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's not $200 great. There isn't a single $200 game on the system. That person didn't pay $200 for a Breakout clone. He paid $200 for a rare cart. I'd say there's a 50% chance that anyone buying a $200 Jag cart never plays it except to make sure it is in working order. Someone on Reddit yesterday exemplified the attitude of someone that buys Jag items just to play some games on the console. He said, "I got Alice's Mom's Rescue on Steam... way less $$$." That guy isn't interested in a $200 cart for his shelf. There are games that are reasonably priced and there are games that aren't. As a collectible $200 may be reasonable for Impulse-X. As a game it isn't.

Impulse-X is a great game. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's not $200 great. There isn't a single $200 game on the system. That person didn't pay $200 for a Breakout clone. He paid $200 for a rare cart. I'd say there's a 50% chance that anyone buying a $200 Jag cart never plays it except to make sure it is in working order. Someone on Reddit yesterday exemplified the attitude of someone that buys Jag items just to play some games on the console. He said, "I got Alice's Mom's Rescue on Steam... way less $$$." That guy isn't interested in a $200 cart for his shelf. There are games that are reasonably priced and there are games that aren't. As a collectible $200 may be reasonable for Impulse-X. As a game it isn't.

I would argue that I have MORE than got $200 worth of fun out of Tempest 2000 and I imagine if I stay healthy I will get another $200 outta it over the next few years. I also think Rebootroids may end up being another game that I will get $200 worth of fun out of. Hell, I may end up logging more time on Rebootroids tha Tempest. I know both game are the first two games I grab when I have spare time. Now, the rotary controller ends up making both much more enjoyable....

I would argue that I have MORE than got $200 worth of fun out of Tempest 2000 and I imagine if I stay healthy I will get another $200 outta it over the next few years. I also think Rebootroids may end up being another game that I will get $200 worth of fun out of. Hell, I may end up logging more time on Rebootroids tha Tempest. I know both game are the first two games I grab when I have spare time. Now, the rotary controller ends up making both much more enjoyable....

$200 worth of enjoyment? In order to make that claim you have to be comparing that activity to activities that accrue cost over time. Home video games don't work that way. I have to compare the experience like experiences which are other home video games. They are a one time cost. Relative to other home video games I can't see T2k or Impulse-X as $200 games. Also T2k does not go for $200. It goes for around $75. I would agree that Rebooteroids is worth it relative to T2k. There's no way that I can consider Impulse-X a $200 experience relative to T2k at $75. This is a subjective topic of course. Some people here may think experiencing a particular Jaguar game is worth $200. I've been buying Jag items for over 20 years and I have managed to complete my retail library and I have a lot of great homebrews. I have never paid $200 for a Jaguar item (I didn't even pay that much for the CD unit). I look at my shelf and I don't see anything there that I would be willing to drop $200 on. If I miss a homebrew then I miss it. I'll live.

Yeah, I don't think you are getting my point. I am not talking about what the item currently sells for. I am saying, I have gotten well over $200 of enjoyment(which is subjective like you said). My point was, Tempest is well worth $200 to me.... My meaning was, if the game did or ever does go up to $200 in the open market, I would still pay that to have it, play it, enjoy it. That is all. No sense of arguing over opinion. I am saying that the game is that good and I enjoy it that much.

I will put it this way: If I did not own Tempest and the current market was $200, I would buy it just so I could play it. I would not be happy shellin' out $200 for any game, but I know I would get my money's worth outta Tempest 2000, I enjoy it that much. Pure and simple. You may not enjoy it that much, but I do. Same can probably be said about Rebootroids for me personally. Not really something that can be argued.

Also, if you take the bottom half the the Jag's library, it would probably cost more than $200. I would rather have just Tempest than all those others combined. I was valuing the game to "me" and not the open market. I was saying it is worth that to "me". Probably cuz I play/enjoy Tempest that much. Pretty simple and if you read and understand my posts, it is something you can not argue. You can say it is not worth it to you, or you would not buy Tempest if the open market was $xxx amount, but not something you can say for anyone else.

Is your JAG CD system worth $200 to ya? If not, then send it my way and I'll send ya $200. ;) If not, you ARE putting a value on it of over $200.

Bottom line is how I define $200 worth of fun was how much I would pay on the open market for said item. It was hypothetical. Again, not something you can argue or disagree with.

Now let's get back to how bad someone wanted Impulse and how people think he over paid.

A movie costs (in my area) about $10 US and provides 1.5 to 2 hours of entertainment.

Going by that math, a $200 game should provide you with 30 to 40 hours of playtime.

Some people get enjoyment from a box on the shelf. Now that can last several years!

• Like 4

Well you guys feel free to drop $200 on Jaguar games. I enjoy my Jag a great deal but I have to draw a line somewhere. There's a point where the cost moves beyond what I can consider reasonable. Again people value things differently. And people justify things in different ways. I'll remain skeptical that most people that buy really expensive Jaguar collectibles actually care about what's on the cart. They either want it for the shelf or they think of Jaguar games as a stock. I'm not saying that's how it is for all of them but it is for a lot... particularly on eBay.

I don't have to sell my Jag CD if I don't think it is worth $200 by the way. I don't have $200 wrapped up in it. I didn't pay $200 for it and it wasn't an investment. I bought it about 16 years ago, at a reasonable price, to use it and I still use it. Replacing it would be another story but it works fine. There are a lot of people here that don't have a Jag CD because they believe it is too expensive. If I didn't already have one I would probably be in that boat.

Anyway people in this community know how it works with these limited run homebrews. You get them during the initial run if you can. As soon as the run is over someone has an auction up for more than double the original price. It only goes up from there. Justifications abound but it is what it is. I don't have anything further to say on the subject.

Edit: I typed that up before the previous two posts were submitted btw. They are not included in my opening "you guys".

Edited by Hyper_Eye

I don't have to sell my Jag CD if I don't think it is worth $200 by the way. I don't have $200 wrapped up in it. I didn't pay $200 for it and it wasn't an investment. I bought it about 16 years ago, at a reasonable price, to use it and I still use it. Replacing it would be another story but it works fine. There are a lot of people here that don't have a Jag CD because they believe it is too expensive. If I didn't already have one I would probably be in that boat

Relax, no one said you had to sell it. I was making a point on how people can put a value on an item.

You said, "In order to make that claim you have to be comparing that activity to activities that accrue cost over time. Home video games don't work that way. I have to compare the experience like experiences which are other home video games. They are a one time cost".

I disagree with that....

Once again, I am saying if Tempest 2000 or Rebootroids ever went to $200 and I did not own a copy, I would pay that in order to own it and play it. I just love both games that much and I know I would easily get my money's worth outta both. You came in and said I couldn't make a claim that they are worth that to me cuz games don't work that way. I was explaining my point, thats all. It's one person's opinion and arguing with it is pointless.

Now please, just sell me your Jag CD for $200 like you agreed to!!! A deal is a deal!!!!

:)

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

I definitely do not display my Jaguar games on a shelf. I've got all the boxes collapsed into a larger box which I keep in the closet. All my Jag games sit in a large shoe box and tupperware container, in a bureau in the office. I can open it up and play it when I feel the need, otherwise no one even knows I have a Jaguar if they walk around my house.

$200 worth of enjoyment? In order to make that claim you have to be comparing that activity to activities that accrue cost over time.

You're being very pragmatic about this, but if we were really being that level-headed... none of us would even own a Jaguar... or play games. We'd be learning Mandarin or taking an additional course at a community college, or getting our Ph.D.

Playing games on the Jaguar has a lot of emotion to it. The Jaguar is 20+ years old now, it's not a great system anymore by any current standard. So the only reason why we play it at all is because it's fun to play a system that is now retro and has it's own character. And for many of us... it allows us to relieve some part of our childhood. I'm in my late 30s... so I'm at the tail-end of it since it was out when I was in high school (and didn't really play a lot of games at the time). For me, playing Alice's Mom on the Jaguar is more fun than playing it on the PC (which I have done).

But... nothing about the Jaguar makes any kind of fiscal sense, so trying to add pragmatism to the argument just doesn't really make sense.

• 6 years later...
26 minutes ago, bulken said:

Really nice looking breakout game for the Jaguar.

Pleasant graphics, large play-area and many things going on at the screen.

Dude, you don't have to reply to every thread just to say you think a Jaguar game looks nice.