Gaztee

I thought it was CD-R?

Impulse X might be on CD-R, but it's the most reliable CD-R I've ever used - not had a single instance of the game not loading.

Received the replacement CD last week, not had time to play it yet, but Matthias was kind enough to send a patch for the original game when I reported the issue back in mid-December (confirmed, tested and fixed in one day!)

• Like 1

Absolutley right Cyrano.. my mistake it was should have been "printing" not " pressing".

I can only put my mistake down to being human and doing a rushed message first thing in the morning, which was in response to a couple of emails I had received during the night.

Shouldn't have bothered.

Nick

Hello all,

about the old and the new Impulse X CDs:

The CDs are CD-Rs, printed and protected with lacquer by a service company, burnt by myself. After burning each CD was booted up several times and the content was tested as well to make sure that the program was loaded correctly.

Nevertheless there was a bug hidden deeply in the game-engine found after the initial release, and although it is possible to upload a patch using BJL, i decided to provide new CDs with an updated game that should replace the CDs with the faulty game (the old CDs are labelled MD002)

The new CDs are labelled with the product number MD002-2:

post-2054-0-20618700-1359736394.png

Kind regards

Matthias

• Like 9

On some levels (eg 36) if you had the magic ball power-up active and then triggered other power-ups to fall, some could fall with corrupt graphics. If you left these to fall through, no problem, but if you collected one the game would crash/hang or drop back out to the menu. Apparently this crept in late on in development as Matthias was attempting to optimise certain routines and probably why the testers missed it. I'm not sure if anyone else discovered the bug before the game was re-issued.

Have to say Matthias handled the reissuing of CDs really well, especially for a homebrew game - I know from personal experience how taxing and time consuming it is to burn and test your games this way. Then to have to do it all again and send it out at his own cost - it's commendable stuff. In some ways it would have been better if the game release hadn't been so exceptionally well received, but let's hope he makes up any losses with a really good performance for the cart version.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Does anyone know if console5 is shipping the new rev?

I know you have answered this yourself already, but here is the official answer:

When you buy Impulse X from either Console5.com in the USA or from Nick Harlow in the UK you get the product equipped with the updated MD002-2 CD. And this is (or should be) true for other vendors who bought from them as well.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

If I were a betting man, I'd say Chinny has cracked the high score web codes.

Or he had the better energy drink?

Or a better spinner than you?

Or he just stopped playing when he saw that he had beaten you... ;)

If the latter isn't the reason, then you know at least that you just need to destroy 2 bricks or one enemy more next time you play to beat him :)

Kind regards

Matthias

• Like 3

Am really enjoying this game though my high is currently 48k on default difficulty. I'll work my way up. Really good job Matthias! Beautiful packaging and work all around.

Don´t want to speak for Matthias here but from the numbers he told us it is well below 150 sold copies, it may just be the size of the Jag market these days. The more irritating thing is that there are only a couple of Highscore entries ( if you delete the double ones). That lead me to the conclusion people are really not that much into playing the games, its more about the collecting, which is fine really, but doesn´t look to good for "bigger" projects. Why should someone spend a lot of time in gameplay/gfx etc when in the end it goes straight to the trophy board of other jag games.

Perhaps the numbers have went up a bit now? And this has probably been mentioned but this is a CD release and there are some who do not have a CD player for the Jag.

• 1 month later...

Any updated news on an estimated time of arrival for the cart release? Reckon I enjoy this more than breakout ( but they are different games) and I'm impatient waiting for the cd to load! I think I'm happy to stick with d-pad as I find the spinner a bit jerky atslower speeds but I reckon that could be to do with the amount of pulses on my encoder.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Or he had the better energy drink?

Or a better spinner than you?

Or he just stopped playing when he saw that he had beaten you... icon_wink.gif

If the latter isn't the reason, then you know at least that you just need to destroy 2 bricks or one enemy more next time you play to beat him icon_smile.gif

Kind regards

Matthias

Just wondering if there is still plans for the cartridge version of this game and if so when we might see it. Thanks

Hello Clay and guitari!

Just wondering if there is still plans for the cartridge version of this game and if so when we might see it. Thanks

Of course i still intend to release a cartridge version of Impulse X, and i do already have all the materials for that release (from PCBs, chips, capacitors, screws, labels, shells to manuals, posters, boxes etc.), but i just can't find the time and energy to finish the cartridge-software recently, sorry.

After Easter i had worked some days on it and implemented the basic routines to store and read the game settings, highscores and even some selfcreated levels on the 2048byte serial Eeprom, now i just need to optimize theses things and verify that they will work.

Kind regards

Matthias

• Like 3