IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim discussion

moycon

Oh, it's great. I'll never understand the people whining that their items no longer break, or they no longer have to wash their virtual underpants, or no longer have to calculate Imperial income taxes... pfff.

It's called Individual preference. Why do some people prefer Pepsi over Coke? Individual preference.

Mendon

I bought the house for that very reason. I used my helper as a pack mule when I got over burdened, then would go to a merchant and wipe them out. Usually you can get around $800 from them. Initially the place is dusty and there is one chest upstairs. You will want to have an extra $2000 to decorate and then the place will really shine. Best of all you'll get a bunch of storage including bookcases which can be filled with books!! (Very cool) I put food in kitchen cupboards, clothes in a wardrobe, etc....

I've had a chance for two companions... the Bard in Riverwood and Lydia (I think that's here name) in Jarl's Castle. I haven't used either as I'm just solo'ing the land.

Question.... did you notice if your companions take away "EXP's" in battles? I mean, you don't see how many EXP's you get for a battle, only that you may have leveled up or increased a skill. I was just wondering if you noticed whether it was slower to level up or increase skills by using a companion, much like it would in Fallout?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Seems like I might like some of the things you guys are semi-complaining about. I don't think I'll mind having some of the tedious things trimmed out of the game.
Oh, it's great. I'll never understand the people whining that their items no longer break, or they no longer have to wash their virtual underpants, or no longer have to calculate Imperial income taxes... pfff.

I think people who are big fans of TES due to depth and realism would disagree with you. Those things added to the game. Obviously that stuff is not for everybody. I agree with the idea that there could have been an option to enable those elements of gameplay for those that enjoy it.

Tonight's Skyrim Moment:

So while I'm trying to chase down this guy (who is being chased Benny Hill style by bandits across the countryside) to give him a quest object, my horse decides to mount a one horse assault of his own on a bandit keep.

And he killed them all... I wish I could have recorded what I witnessed arriving at the end of the fight - bandit kneeling dying on the ground screaming 'Please victory is yours show mercy!' then my horse screams Neeeiiigghh and stomps him into the ground.

:lol:

Sorry to keep asking annoying questions, but I didn't know that you could buy a house. Who do you talk to about that?

I'm sure before it's over you will be able to purchase several homes. My initial home was bought in Whiterun and is called Breezehome.

You have to talk to a guy in the castle. His name is Proventus or something like that. He'll also be able to decorate the house after it is bought.

Also the companion I used was that Lydia one you mentioned Mendon. I mainly use her as a pack mule right now to build up my $$$. I'm at I think level 12. Not sure if I would have leveled up quicker without her. Sounds like I would have, but really I want to cash right now, for houses, training, decorating, etc....

Finally made it to the Greybeards outpost.. damn, I'd hate to work for Pizza Hut and have to make deliveries to that place! 7,000 steps my ass!!

And ran into my first Trolls and learned you have to get up close and personal with them in battle. They regenerate health too quickly to sit back and plink away at them with arrows and spells. But yum yum... that Troll fat tastes so good it makes the fight worthwhile!! :grin:

Mendon

Ok, so remember all that bashing I did in the training rooms at the beginning, just to level up a couple lame skills...? well, now when I try to go meet the blacksmith, guess who is right there at the front of the town to beat my A$$...? Is it normal? I walk into town and he beats me mercifully....?

Should I start over or does this just thappen? I fight the havdar (typo) guy and he doesnt die...? Am I missing part of the story...? Or is it because I beat him so bad in the beginning?

I also rode into town on a stolen horse? Does that have anything to do with it?

Although she is pretty hot. I might be willing to share some with Lydia...

You bring up an interesting thought..... has Bethesda ever included romance in any of their games?

Reason I ask is because in Dragon Age, you could wine, dine, and bed people in the game and it was sort of a neat sub-plot or addition to the game. Makes me curious as to how it might add or subtract from gameplay in Skyrim.

Imagine how nice it would be for you to come home after a hard day of adventuring to the warmth of the lovely Lydia.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Ok, so remember all that bashing I did in the training rooms at the beginning, just to level up a couple lame skills...? well, now when I try to go meet the blacksmith, guess who is right there at the front of the town to beat my A$$...? Is it normal? I walk into town and he beats me mercifully....?

Should I start over or does this just thappen? I fight the havdar (typo) guy and he doesnt die...? Am I missing part of the story...? Or is it because I beat him so bad in the beginning?

I really can't say how Skyrim handles your gameplay as I haven't wacked on any NPC's or stolen anything yet.

I do know in Oblivion you became a wanted man, instantly across the continent, if you stole items or killed someone and there is a good chance that this feature has carried over into Skyrim.

I know a few times.... just for fun.... I would deliberately steal something or kill someone in Oblivion just to see how long I could last against all the guards and populace who chased me.

Mendon

Well A) you weren't supposed to do that in the first place B) you shouldn't hit people who you don't want to kill you and C) don't get caught doing illegal things if you don't want to be punished

This is an RPG, not Grand Theft Auto - you might want to rethink your approach to the game...

Imagine how nice it would be for you to come home after a hard day of adventuring to the warmth of the lovely Lydia.

Well there is marriage in Skyrim, but I doubt there's anything 'racy' in this game :)

I really can't say how Skyrim handles your gameplay as I haven't wacked on any NPC's or stolen anything yet.

I do know in Oblivion you became a wanted man, instantly across the continent, if you stole items or killed someone and there is a good chance that this feature has carried over into Skyrim.

I know a few times.... just for fun.... I would deliberately steal something or kill someone in Oblivion just to see how long I could last against all the guards and populace who chased me.

Mendon

You can marry but I read that there may be a bug in the game that prevents you from marrying sweet Lydia. Try googling that. :P

Also, in terms of the good old guards. I did a side quest as a thane in Whiterun called "Missing in Action" and was asked to break into a home of the house of Battle-Borns. I picked the lock and broke in and of course the family was yelling at me to leave and then called the guards. I noticed in the upper right corner "X bounty" or something like that and then soon the guards came and I had the option to tell them to ignore what I did, pay a fine or serve jail time. I noticed my bounty X number increase every time I did something questionable. I told them to "overlook" what I did and they did but told me they have their limits as to how much they can "look away"

They let me go the first time but I left the home came back in and they wouldnt let me go the second time. :P

This game stresses me out more then anything, should I quit my job so I can play this all day or should I just keep paying bills?....err dammit I can't decide.

@Leach: That's cool as hell that that happened lol, Taking realism to a whole nother level!

I wanna get married..how do you find/get a wife? She stays at your house?

Knowing that this isnt grand theft auto, I thought it was a very nice deed....to whack the NPC's then they just annoy me...so .....

I start over and now I got a new idea.....hope to find the same bandit that killed the guy riding he horse in the same exact spot the second time around and kill the bandit..then kill the horse..but only enough for the horse to cry..then let it heal up...and I attack the horse some more...that way Im not actually hurting anyone and life goes on....

Knowing that this isnt grand theft auto, I thought it was a very nice deed....to whack the NPC's then they just annoy me...so .....

I start over and now I got a new idea.....hope to find the same bandit that killed the guy riding he horse in the same exact spot the second time around and kill the bandit..then kill the horse..but only enough for the horse to cry..then let it heal up...and I attack the horse some more...that way Im not actually hurting anyone and life goes on....

You might try using magic to summon a Zombie or Skeleton or another creature and then whack the heck out of them as that will raise your summoning skill and your sword skills at the same time. Or hit them once and let them whack on you to raise your armor and blocking skills.

Killing something you summon doesn't raise the ire of the populace or guards but does raise your attributes.

Mendon

I just discovered this article on Kotaku and thought I'd post it as a warning for those playing the PS3 version of the game as it may be broke:

http://kotaku.com/58...r-ps3/gallery/1

Mendon

Thanks for the link. So far the only thing I noticed is lag in between menus for the PS3 version.

I'm playing the PC version too so I may be switching to that for now.

I just discovered this article on Kotaku and thought I'd post it as a warning for those playing the PS3 version of the game as it may be broke:

http://kotaku.com/58...r-ps3/gallery/1

Mendon

!!!!!! WHAT!?!?!

Holy crap that blows. I have the PS3 version, don't have a PC capable of playing it or a 360, and ...*goes to check file size* Mine is 5.1 MB...why god, why?

But it must not happen to everybody's file, i mean I haven't noticed it because i'm just barely at 5 MB but it's already been reviewed and played through by numerous gaming sites and wouldn't that've been something they'd notice and/or say something about, i mean if it's as serious of an issue as they are claiming...I will keep y'uns posted about mine..