IGNORED

Season 5 Round 11 *Front Line*

Ikrananka

Front Line

Frontline.png

You're a lonely infantryman, fighting through treacherous terrain. The enemy comes at you from all sides; counterattack with your pistol and grenades before it's too late! The battleground changes constantly; watch out for deadly land mines! When enemy tanks close in, leap into your own tank! Your ultimate mission: reach and destroy the enemy's fortress.

Game Information

Game Name: Front Line

Released by: Coleco, 1983

Original arcade game by: Taito, 1982

CV HSC High Score: NA

TwinGalaxies High Score: 121,100 by Todd (Oct 2004)

Settings: Skill 1 - 1 Player

This game was suggested by: chuckwalla

Contest Ends

Saturday, 3 December 2011 at 1:00AM EST

Quick-Start-Bonus-Info and HSC Rules

Final High Scores

1. skosh 88,600 [+10]

2. Mangia-Boy 64,700 [+9]

3. chuckwalla 33,000 [+8]

4. jblenkle 32,000 [+6]

5. ed1475 30,600 [+4]

6. patbb 20,000 [+2]

7. Ikrananka 16,600 [+1]

8. roadrunner 4,800 [+1]

Leaderboard

1. Mangia-Boy [66] (10)

2. patbb [57] (10) 1

2. jblenkle [57] (10) 1

4. ed1475 [45] (10) 2 1

5. skosh [32] (4) 1

6. atariron82 [30] (5) 1

7. chuckwalla [26] (4) 1

8. Ikrananka [25] (10)

9. JacobZu7zu7 [20] (9)

10. ChuckH [16] (2) 1

11. Ms. Do [13] (1) 1

12. purenergy [10] (2)

13. retroillucid [10] (1) 1

14. Akito01 [8] (1)

15. roadrunner [6] (6)

16. Yurkie [6] (3)

17. ColecoDan [6] (1)

18. rmaerz [5] (3)

19. AtariBrian [4] (1)

20. SegaShooters [2] (1)

21. cmart604 [1] (1)

21. NIAD [1] (1)

21. 1982VideoGames [1] (1)

21. centiqueen81 [1] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Edited by Ikrananka

Doesn't this one require Super Action Controllers? If so, I guess I'll have to sit this one out.

It just might, :\

I cannot get into the "tanks", I think I'll sit this one out too.

Unless there's a setting I can use on emulation that will allow me to hop into the tank.

I think, it's a pity that Joe and Jacob can't take part this round because of having no Super Action Controller. Especially I say this, because the played every round this season.

In my opinion, in the future we should only play games which are available for everyone. And we can play the games that require elements - that cannot be emulated like SA Controller or the steering wheel - in bonus rounds, which are not counting for the contest.

Another problem are homebrew games. In later rounds they were played two times: PacManCollection and Mr.Chin.(Their roms are not free available and I think only 50 copies exist, so the most AA members are excluded) These rounds had the fewest participants of all.

The colecovision HSC should stay attractive for everyone.

What do you think about?

Doesn't this one require Super Action Controllers? If so, I guess I'll have to sit this one out.

It just might, :\

I cannot get into the "tanks", I think I'll sit this one out too.

Unless there's a setting I can use on emulation that will allow me to hop into the tank.

The latest version of blueMSX includes emulation of the SA controllers and so Front Line can indeed be played using a keyboard and emulation. Please give blueMSX a try and see how you get on.

I think, it's a pity that Joe and Jacob can't take part this round because of having no Super Action Controller. Especially I say this, because the played every round this season.

In my opinion, in the future we should only play games which are available for everyone. And we can play the games that require elements - that cannot be emulated like SA Controller or the steering wheel - in bonus rounds, which are not counting for the contest.

Another problem are homebrew games. In later rounds they were played two times: PacManCollection and Mr.Chin.(Their roms are not free available and I think only 50 copies exist, so the most AA members are excluded) These rounds had the fewest participants of all.

What do you think about?

I fully understand where you're coming from. However, if we took that approach then some great games would be forever excluded from the HSC. Nevertheless, I know that I have a responsibility to try and make the HSC attractive to the masses while balancing the desires of the minority. With the latest version of blueMSX supporting emulation of the SA controllers this opens up a group of games that would otherwise have been avoided. Therefore, I will occasionally include games that require the SA controller (as well as games that require the roller controller). These will be only included occasionally in the hope that I can provide a selection of games that is balanced to suit everyone and not just the majority.

Your feedback on this is most welcome.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

OK, I'm good to go...ADAMEm / Virtual ADAM does indeed have Super Action Controller emulation. I turned it on and actually threw a grenade...didn't know you could do that!!!

Now I just have to figure out what button does what on my PC's 10-button joypad....or if it's easier to play via keyboard...

I'm not expecting to do well on this one as I can't say I've ever played multi-button games on the CV or ADAM.

What do you think about?

I fully understand where you're coming from. However, if we took that approach then some great games would be forever excluded from the HSC. Nevertheless, I know that I have a responsibility to try and make the HSC attractive to the masses while balancing the desires of the minority. With the latest version of blueMSX supporting emulation of the SA controllers this opens up a group of games that would otherwise have been avoided. Therefore, I will occasionally include games that require the SA controller (as well as games that require the roller controller). These will be only included occasionally in the hope that I can provide a selection of games that is balanced to suit everyone and not just the majority.

What do you think about?

First of all, I have to say Ikrananka you're doing an excellent job for the Colecovision HSC. This was no critic on your leading position. I can fully accept your argumentation.

I play all games on a real console. So I didn't know that FrontLine runs on an emulator. If this is correct, I cancel my objection.

You are right, under these conditions no reason exists to exclude any original games.

My last question: And how about homebrew games, when the rom is not available for everyone?

What do you think about?

First of all, I have to say Ikrananka you're doing an excellent job for the Colecovision HSC. This was no critic on your leading position. I can fully accept your argumentation.

I play all games on a real console. So I didn't know that FrontLine runs on an emulator. If this is correct, I cancel my objection.

You are right, under these conditions no reason exists to exclude any original games.

My last question: And how about homebrew games, when the rom is not available for everyone?

No offence taken - I really didn't take your post that way and saw it as a valid comment to make. I certainly appreciated the input.

Regarding homebrew games, I do intend to include one or two homebrew games this season but will keep them limited to games where the rom is freely available. I do not want to end up with rounds where we play a limited release homebrew game with no public rom and have 3 people playing. In fact, I intend for the next round to be a double-round (over Christmas) with one of the games being a homebrew game. I will continue the tradition of putting up a hombrew game poll to select the game that most people would like to play (as stated earlier, all games in the poll will be those where the rom has been publically released by the author/publisher).

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by Ikrananka

Some good tips here. I thought I might have to skip this one also but pressing 1 2 3 together on a regular controller does the trick. BTW, as mentioned, you can use an emulator too. In MESS you have to press 1 2 3 also which is as awkward as on a regular controller. In VirtualADAM it is much easier. You just have to press Z on the keyboard to throw grenades/get into and out of the tank. You don't even have to switch to the Super Action Controllers in the systems menu.

I'll give it try soon.

Edited by ChuckH

What do you think about?

Nicely thought, Mangia-boy. Thanks for showing concern.

I don't mind missing a game or two... as I'm still learning Colecovision here, and wondering if I will buy a console in the future. Right now, I enjoy the competition and experience. If I don't play Front Line, I'll be back to try out another game, soon.

So far, I posted scores consistant... but missed*Montezuma's Revenge* . Forgot to post a score, which is ok, as I just played it quick once and forgot.

How do i get blueMSX to play Colecovision games? :)

I get a blue screen that has list, run, auto, and goto at the bottom.

I can't get Frontline to play on the ColEm emulator, the game will crash.

Do you see a menu at the top with File, Emulation, Window, Options, Tools and Help? When I start bluMSX I do not see "list, run, auto and goto" at the bottom.

Do you see a menu at the top with File, Emulation, Window, Options, Tools and Help? When I start bluMSX I do not see "list, run, auto and goto" at the bottom.

Yeah, i do.

I select File, cartridge slot 1, insert and nothing will load up.

I get that list,run, auto, goto blue screen after i try to load a col rom

Yeah, i do.

I select File, cartridge slot 1, insert and nothing will load up.

I get that list,run, auto, goto blue screen after i try to load a col rom

Okay, try the following after you first start up blueMSX:

1. From the menu select Options > Emulation

2. Under General, next to "MSX machine", click on the dropdown and select "COL - ColecoVision". This tells blueMSX to emulate the ColecoVision and automatically points it to the default CV BIOS rom that is installed with blueMSX.

3. Then you need to setup the controller mapping. Will you be using the keyboard to control the game? If you need to know what keys are mapped by default to the CV controller, or you need to change the mapping, then click on the round silver button towards the bottom of the right-hand side of the screen labelled "KBD-JOY CONF"

4. Under the Joystick 1 tab, click on the dropdown to change between the standard controller and the super action controller (for Frontline you'll need to select the super action controller).

5. Click on any button or joystick direction on the small image of the controller and it will display the current mapping for that controller action. If you want to change the mapping then, while the relevant action is highlighted (small green square) press the key on the keyboard tht you wish to map. Repeat for any other mappings. Click OK button when complete.

6. You can now start the game via File, Cartrideg Slot 1, Insert....... and select the appropriate CV game rom image file.

Hope this works for you. If you have any problems just let me know.

• Like 1