IGNORED

what kind of hot glue can I use on a PCB?

Marius

Hi,

yesterday I upgraded my iBook G4 with a SSD. Everything went fine, except for the fact that my trackpad connector 'broke' from my Logic board.

I was able to fix it, and I soldered it back to. But since the connector now only is fixed by 4 very tiny SMD solder contacts, I would like to add some extra stability.

The only thing I could think of was putting some hot glue against the connector and the PCB.

But I don't have experience with that. I am afraid the glue is too hot and will melt solder contacts.

I saw on internet a glue-pistol with glue-temperature like 195 degrees CELCIUS. That appears to be rather hot, but again: I do not have any experience.

So I hope someone can give me a hint.

I know it is not atari related, but I think a lot of experienced electronics people are here, so I asked my question here!

Greetz

Marius

Shouldn't be a worry - hot silicone glue melts at a fraction of the temp that solder does.

Unsure the exact figure, but probably not much more than that of boiling water.

If you wanted to apply at a lower temp, then you could apply it indirectly although it firms up pretty quickly. Or maybe turn the gun off for 10-20 seconds then apply otherwise as normal.

Or if you wanted to go the old fashioned way, maybe 2-part araldyte would work, although removing that stuff would probably risk damage.

http://en.wikipedia....t-melt_adhesive

Looks like there's all manner of types, many being poly/plastic based.

So, melting point could be anywhere around 120 - 190 Deg C.

ed2 -At the higher end, you 'd be close to the melting point of leaded solder, so maybe testing against something disposable is advisable.

Edited by Rybags