IGNORED

What Jaguar game should I buy?

Punisher5.0

I'm going to buy a new game from Songbird and I just wanted to know your opinions about which one I should get. These are what I'm thinking about getting:

SkyHammer

Hyper Force

Protector: SE

Phase Zero Demo

Right now I'm leaning towards SkyHamer but I haven't played any of these games yet. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

I think all four would be good buys.

If I have to pick one of them it would be Protector: SE. I have the original Protector and love this game, great fun to play. Its only minus is that it´s a bit to short. I have also played SkyHammer, never played Hyper Force or the new Phase Zero Demo (Think I wait for the complete version)

But my choice is easy: Protector: SE (and remember you will also get a Native-demo with this game) :wink:

I have Skyhammer, Protector:SE, Hyperforce and Phase Zero from Songbird and highly reccomend them all. I also have Soccer Kid, but on the 3DO, it's good, but not as good as the others. Phaze Zero is an experience you must try, even in it's unfinished condition, there are 9 huge levels to explore and cool enemies to fight with surprisingly good A.I. Lots of missions to do and stuff to see, fantastic looking graphics that are very fast and smooth. Actually, I just got P:SE in the mail today along with Phase Zero, although I had PZ on a flashcart until it go burned out. So I knew what to expect from it, although I never had a chance to do levels 6-9 before since the game crashes on 5. But there are "codes" for the levels now, so 5 can be bypassed, and done at the end if you just have play them all, all the way through.

Protector is quite good, although I've only tried it out for about ten minutes so far, my first impressions are that it is better than Defender Plus, but I like Defender 2000 better, although this opinion may change once the game actually gets challenging for me, hopefully in later levels. The graphics are very good, but overall, I think Defender 2K's are better. There's no comparison in music between the two, D2K blows Protector away, not that Protector has bad music...but you also get BJL, Jagfree cd, memory for cd games and the Native demo disk with Protector:SE, so it's the "best buy."

Regarding BJL on P:SE; The leaflet just says that a cable for connecting to a PC is needed. Is this a custom cable that plugs into the back of the Jag, the Jaglink, like J.U.G.S uses or is this a mod that has to be done internally (I thought the point of BJL on this cart was to avoid a BJL mod). Not that it's a real big deal, since I have J.U.G.S and a dev Jag and plan on getting an alpine someday anyway, but I like to have all the options. Can it (PROTECTOR BJL) be used with the Jagdev system with it's custom cable hanging out the side?

Regarding BJL on P:SE; The leaflet just says that a cable for connecting to a PC is needed.

Yes.

Is this a custom cable that plugs into the back of the Jag, the Jaglink, like J.U.G.S uses or is this a mod that has to be done internally (I thought the point of BJL on this cart was to avoid a BJL mod).

Neither. It's a custom-wired cable with a 25-pin male DSUB connector on one end and a 15-pin high-density male DSUB connector on the other end. The 25-pin end plugs into your PC parallel port; the 15-pin end plugs into controller port 2 of your Jag. The loader simply looks at the pad port and interprets a set sequence of pad motions/button-presses (generated at very high speed by the PC) and translates that into data which is dumped into the Jag's RAM. Once the transfer is complete, the Jag generates a checksum of the data recieved, compares it with the PCs checksum and attampts to run the code if both match up. That's all.

One caveat: WHATEVER YOU DO don't try and begin an upload unless you're at the BJL upload screen. If you do it at the main screen with a BJL-modified Jag it will thoroughly mangle the data contained in the EEPROM of whatever cart is inserted (to be safe, keep your JagCD plugged in with no cart plugged in through it). I lost a good deal of progress in PDR and screwed a Cybermorph cart through this bug. It may be fixed in ProtSE, but I wouldn't like to try it ;-) Especially with that extra-large EEPROM in there. Food for thought.

Can it (PROTECTOR BJL) be used with the Jagdev system with it's custom cable hanging out the side?

No. There's nothing to plug it into ;-)

Stone

Thanks Stone. Where can I obtain this BJL cable, or schematics/instructions on building one?

You could buy / trade one of mine off me ;-)

Alternatively, make your own, schematics are freely available, like AtariOwl said.

AtariOwl: that owl logo looks familiar...didn't I see it on a BBC model B computer once?

Stone

Gunstar wrote:  

Thanks Stone. Where can I obtain this BJL cable, or schematics/instructions on building one?  

You could buy / trade one of mine off me  

I built my own and, since i am lousy at solder, it was a nightmare. VERY FIDDLEY.

Plus Stone helped me out with my Jag so you could certainly do a lot worse than go with Stone on this. :)

AtariOwl: that owl logo looks familiar...didn't I see it on a BBC model B computer once?  

Actually, i'm embarassed to admit, its the emblem of the rather less than mighty Sheffield Wednesday.

Cheers

I built my own and, since i am lousy at solder, it was a nightmare. VERY FIDDLY.

Yes. Be prepared to get your fingers burned, a lot ;) Also bear in mind that if you solder the top and bottom rows of a 25-pin DSUB connector together by accident, it's easier to cut the end off the cable and try again than it is to remove the excess solder. Trust me on this ;)

Actually, i'm embarassed to admit, its the emblem of the rather less than mighty Sheffield Wednesday.

So it is. Knew I saw it before somewhere ;) The one I was thinking of was this:

owl.gif

Slightly lower res, same idea ;-)

Stone

I made my BJL cable (actually a gender-changer case that plugs onto a straight cable) using empty D shells with plug in pins. You buy the shell, then buy the pins seperatly, crimp them onto the cable and push them into the shell, where the lock in place. Very efficient and no soldering needed at all. Also you end up with plugs with pins only where they're needed which looks cool.

I got SkyHammer today :).

First impressions with SkyHammer: The game is really cool. The menus look very good. The music is really good too, it's got a lot of bass :) . The graphics look very good and the game runs very smooth most of the time. Overall I'm very satisfied with SkyHammer.

Great! So, have fun :D

You can actually afford $70-80 for a Jag game???? I think its crazy to pay that much for a dead systems games. Price gouging at its best!!!! Not worth it when PS2 and xbox games are mostly $50 brand new..

Lots and lots of Jaguar games sell for more than that. An original copy of BattleSphere in good condition frequently sells for $230-$250 on eBay. If they are in mint condition I've seen them sell for $300 or more. An autographed copy will get you $500-$1500.

It's not what the games are worth to you, but what they are worth to the collector.

Besides, a lot of new 2600 games sell for $35-$50 if they are homebrew games. It costs a lot to manufacture a game in a small quantity like this. If a 2600 game can sell for $35, then it makes sense that a Jag game would sell for $70 because the Jag has a lot more expensive parts inside.

I got SkyHammer today :).

First impressions with SkyHammer: The game is really cool. The menus look very good. The music is really good too, it's got a lot of bass :) . The graphics look very good and the game runs very smooth most of the time. Overall I'm very satisfied with SkyHammer.

Very nice game!

But I need to spend a lot of time on it everytime! It's not a 5 minutes shoot-em-all game. So when I have only 5mins, I plug Protector:SE and blast everything away :twisted:

Lots and lots of Jaguar games sell for more than that. An original copy of BattleSphere in good condition frequently sells for $230-$250 on eBay. If they are in mint condition I've seen them sell for $300 or more. An autographed copy will get you $500-$1500.

If u pay $250 to $300 for a game that is for a system that no longer exists, god bless you. Totally ridiculous if you ask me... Long- time Atari 5200 & 7800 collector here so I know what games sell for and what they are worth... I dont care how good Battlesphere is, someone is getting seriously ripped off, lol...