IGNORED

What Jaguar game should I buy?

Punisher5.0

If u pay $250 to $300 for a game that is for a system that no longer exists, god bless you. Totally ridiculous if you ask me... Long- time Atari 5200 & 7800 collector here so I know what games sell for and what they are worth... I dont care how good Battlesphere is, someone is getting seriously ripped off, lol...

I prefer to spend $80 for a Jag game than 50 for the PS(u)X :twisted:

And, if you think that BattleSphere price it's too high, don't buy it :)

If u pay $250 to $300 for a game that is for a system that no longer exists, god bless you. Totally ridiculous if you ask me... Long- time Atari 5200 & 7800 collector here so I know what games sell for and what they are worth... I dont care how good Battlesphere is, someone is getting seriously ripped off, lol...

I prefer to spend $80 for a Jag game than 50 for the PS(u)X :twisted:

And, if you think that BattleSphere price it's too high, don't buy it :)

Yes. That's one more copy for someone that's been on the waiting list for months.

Lots and lots of Jaguar games sell for more than that. An original copy of BattleSphere in good condition frequently sells for $230-$250 on eBay. If they are in mint condition I've seen them sell for $300 or more. An autographed copy will get you $500-$1500.  

Ripped off? Supply and Demand..... At the price some of the older Atari and NES games are going for, this is a real bargain! I was lucky enough to land my BS in a trade for 2 PS games (about $70). I was quick on the list for BSG and happy to spend the money....well worth it! I look at these limited run games as collectibles. Games like Quadrun, Chase the Chuckwagon, Castlevania X on TurboDuo, Panzer Dragoon Saga on Saturn, etc. etc....these all go for well over $100.....

Jason

Lots and lots of Jaguar games sell for more than that. An original copy of BattleSphere in good condition frequently sells for $230-$250 on eBay. If they are in mint condition I've seen them sell for $300 or more. An autographed copy will get you $500-$1500.  

Ripped off? Supply and Demand..... At the price some of the older Atari and NES games are going for, this is a real bargain! I was lucky enough to land my BS in a trade for 2 PS games (about $70). I was quick on the list for BSG and happy to spend the money....well worth it! I look at these limited run games as collectibles. Games like Quadrun, Chase the Chuckwagon, Castlevania X on TurboDuo, Panzer Dragoon Saga on Saturn, etc. etc....these all go for well over $100.....

Jason

Also note that I keep in mind how much these things sell for and pay extra special attention to detail to make sure every single one is perfect. No sloppy soldered pins, no crooked labels, no scratched cases, no bent manuals or defective printing. A lot of effort goes into making every single one perfect.

I think the fans appreciate this kind of detail.

I could just as readily run off a batch of labels with an inkjet printer and chop them out with scissors and throw them on old cart boards and be done with it, but I don't want to do that. I want these things to be proudly owned by true Atari Jaguar fans.

T-Bird wrote:

Also note that I keep in mind how much these things sell for and pay extra special attention to detail to make sure every single one is perfect. No sloppy soldered pins, no crooked labels, no scratched cases, no bent manuals or defective printing. A lot of effort goes into making every single one perfect.  

I think the fans appreciate this kind of detail.  

I could just as readily run off a batch of labels with an inkjet printer and chop them out with scissors and throw them on old cart boards and be done with it, but I don't want to do that. I want these things to be proudly owned by true Atari Jaguar fans.

Yup appreciated my copy of BSG, now please remind me where I need to go to put my name on the list for another copy. :D Gonna need one for Jagfest UK ;)

Later

Gaztee

:twisted:

You can actually afford $70-80 for a Jag game???? I think its crazy to pay that much for a dead systems games. Price gouging at its best!!!! Not worth it when PS2 and xbox games are mostly $50 brand new..

A dead system is a system that no longer has games being made for it in my book, that includes systems like the SNES, N64, Saturn, 32X, genesis, etc. Not the Jag, it still has NEW games coming out for it so it's hardly "dead." As to your saying it no longer "exists," funny, I'm looking at mine right now, it sure as hell looks to be still in existance to me...and like others said, I rather spend $80 or more on a GOOD Jag game then the lame PS2 games that hold my attention for like, ten minutes. Perfect example; Metal Gear Solid II, this game is the lamest piece of crap I've played in years and 90% of the time your watching some lame movie with no story to it. People are getting ripped off paying even $20 for it used, let alone $50 for a new copy (my brother bought it used last week and promptly returned it the next day it sucked so bad-and he bought the better Xbox version, the PS2 is even worse!). I'd rather play my Protector:SE I just paid $80 dollars for any day, and will, for many, many days and years to come. I'll spend money on a "non-existing dead" system that has killer-fun games any day over the crap coming out on a "live" PS2... :P

A dead system is a system that no longer has games being made for it in my book, that includes systems like the SNES, N64, Saturn, 32X, genesis, etc. Not the Jag, it still has NEW games coming out for it so it's hardly "dead."  As to your saying it no longer "exists," funny, I'm looking at mine right now, it sure as hell looks to be still in existance to me...and like others said, I rather spend $80 or more on a GOOD Jag game then the lame PS2 games that hold my attention for like, ten minutes. Perfect example; Metal Gear Solid II, this game is the lamest piece of crap I've played in years and 90% of the time your watching some lame movie with no story to it. People are getting ripped off paying even $20 for it used, let alone $50 for a new copy (my brother bought it used last week and promptly returned it the next day it sucked so bad-and he bought the better Xbox version, the PS2 is even worse!). I'd rather play my Protector:SE I just paid $80 dollars for any day, and will, for many, many days and years to come. I'll spend money on a "non-existing dead" system that has killer-fun games any day over the crap coming out on a "live" PS2... :P

Gunstar, you are completely right :thumbsup:

So a 2600 Quadrun is not worth $500+?

A Saturn Radiant Silvergun is not worth $100+?

A SNES Megaman X3 is not worth $100+?

A Saturn Panzer Dragoon Saga is not worth $300+?

Your logic simply isn't there. Besides that, you seem to have come here just to start trouble. You have posted five things, and out of those five posts, you have two stating things that you obviously know nothing about. Please research the reason behind the prices, or stick to the 5200 and 7800 boards where (presumably) you know much more about the systems.

So a 2600 Quadrun is not worth $500+?

A Saturn Radiant Silvergun is not worth $100+?

A SNES Megaman X3 is not worth $100+?

A Saturn Panzer Dragoon Saga is not worth $300+?

Your logic simply isn't there. Besides that, you seem to have come here just to start trouble. You have posted five things, and out of those five posts, you have two stating things that you obviously know nothing about. Please research the reason behind the prices, or stick to the 5200 and 7800 boards where (presumably) you know much more about the systems.

None of those titles are on the 5200 or 7800, so to him they are probably not worth the prices you mentioned. If they were 5200 or 7800 titles then to him they'd be worth millions!

I'm going to buy a new game from Songbird and I just wanted to know your opinions about which one I should get. These are what I'm thinking about getting:

SkyHammer

Hyper Force

Protector: SE

Phase Zero Demo  

Right now I'm leaning towards SkyHamer but I haven't played any of these games yet. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say, SKYHAMMER is cool, Protector SE is also nice because of the features like FREE CD and BJL loader...

TXG/MNX

Just making observations on pricing for new games for this system. Very true that Atari 5200 and 7800 games dont sell for this price, which I mainly collect for. I still dont understand the logic of a game for a system that is no longer produced, but yet sells for 5x the amount of a new game for a new system( gamecube, PS2, xbox). I guess it takes more for smaller companies to produce these games. Look at Madden 2003. Never has a game been produced which such graphics that the game looks like a real football game. But it is made by a huge company like EA Sports which can release MASS Quantities of the game for only $50. I think $50 is too much, lol. Now, Madden 2003 is a game that even if you quite playing it, you can pick it up 5 years from now and say, Wow! Again, just using Madden 2003 as an example. I have games that are well worth over $100 apiece, but you would never get that amount from E-bay or anywhere. I keep them for my own enjoyment. Which is why I have never heard of 1 game selling for over $250. Plus with the economy being the way it is, makes the price even more unimaginable. IF YOU WANT IT YOU PAY FOR IT... I guess. Alot of gamers cant afford a game like this due to its cost. This is what is puzzling to me...

Well, obviously there are enough of us who can afford the games for people to be making the games, even with the great expense of small production runs. But I KNOW there are several 7800 games that fetch prices as high or higher than new games on new systems too, if you don't pay for them, then you must have a pretty miserable liitle collection of common games in your 7800 "collection." Anyway, just because the economy is slow in general doesn't mean EVERYBODY is suffering. I'm doing quite well at the moment myself, well enough to be able to pay these prices for the games I want on the systems I want, and I am not rich by any means...I am frugal in areas that aren't important to me so I can have the things I want in areas that are important to me. For example, I rarely go to movies, I don't go out eat much or go out for other entertainment (that costs money, I do a lot of free outdoors stuff), this saves me money for my home entertainment where the difference is made up and the end result is that I do spend as much as anyone else on entertainment and hobbies, if not a bit more...Plus, my paying $50+ for a game is an exception, I do this several times a year, but the majority of my games and such are bought used for a few bucks. I've easily bought about 50-75 games in the last year, but most cost me less than 10 dollars, many less than 5 dollars and several for +$50. Almost all my electronic equipment is bought used for dirt cheap, and I repair and tune it up and clean it up and it all works and looks as good as new, if not current asthetic styles (my surround sound system -5.1 dolby digital-cost me $75. My 27 inch tellivision cost me $25 and it has stereo and S-video, my DVD player I got for $25. My car is 12 years old, looks like new because I take care of it, and I do ALL the repairs on it myself, which I taught myself to do! It's a beautiful Buick Park Avenue, top of the line for it's day, I payed $3000 for it 5 years ago.). If your a sucker and pay full price for everything you own, new, then an $80 dollar game once in a while may not be possible. I'm thrifty and frugal and a do-it-your-selfer. If I don't know about something, I learn. The truth is out there...look for it.

You can actually afford $70-80 for a Jag game???? I think its crazy to pay that much for a dead systems games. Price gouging at its best!!!! Not worth it when PS2 and xbox games are mostly $50 brand new..

Ha, you think that's expensive? You should see how much some Neo Geo games go for :o.

How much DO Neo-Geo games go for???

How much DO Neo-Geo games go for???

Many games go for over $300

Twinkle Star Sprites goes for over $800.00 used!!

There were a couple of other games that go for well over $1000 but I don't remember the names.

So I wouldn't complain about the price of BattleSphere you guys :).

Yikes!

Maybe I'll have to start developing for NeoGeo!!!

:-P

Hey guys, not sure about neo geo games, never thought about collecting for that system... I do have an Atari 5200. 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, Colecovision, NES, Genesis, Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, and Gameboy Advanced. Most of my Atari 5200 & 7800 games were purchased new years ago before there was a set price that each game may be worth. I have 3 of almost every game on the 7800, including Tank Command, Rampage, Double Dragon, Pete Rose Baseball, Planet Smashers, etc... I did purchase a 7800 signed Klax from RESQsoft for $40... Well worth the money for that price. Thanks to Lee Krueger for that release. Also, its great to see the guys at Mean Hamster & Atari Age releasing prototype reproduction games for the 5200!!! These games only go for $25 or $40... Not a few $100. I purchased a Meteorites & the Masterplay interface for the 5200 a few years ago. They are worth over $100 each, but will never be sold by me unless of a dire financial emergency. I can buy new Dreamcast games for about $10- 20, not a few $100. You can buy The Italian Job for Playstation for $10... A very good game for only $10... Now for a bargain, look no further than Madden 2003. One of the best games ever graphically. Its looks like a real football game is being played. Only sells for about $40, not a few $100... I guess I come from the old school being 38 years old... Look for bargains when you can! Gunstar has a great attitude about being frugal and buy things and fix them up! Then splurge every once in awhile on a game or two... Great way of looking at life also Gunstar!

At one time I did, but a bit of time becoming involved with the community on many levels has shown that the laws of supply and demand are well at work in the classic gaming community.

As for your logic regarding Battlesphere, there's a bit of history to it that you may not be aware of. This game started development during the Jaguar's prime, and was eagerly anticipated by the community. After Atari's death, 4Play/Scatalogic announced that they would continue to work on the game until it was finished. And despite all the naysayers and ill-wishers who were quick to voice their displeasure at the long wait for a fun, well polished game being produced by only a handful of individuals, the missing encryption key, Hasbro's initial reluctance to give them permission to publish the game, and several other factors which hindered a timely release, the game was finally set loose upon the throngs of rioting Jaguar fans. Except that due to the very limited availability of the EEPROMs needed for the game, it was released in very limited quantities. Demand had far outstripped supply, and still does to this day. You can count me as one of the Jaguar fans who have been waiting to purchase a copy literally for years.

All this, and I haven't even begun to touch on the fact that this game is truly a masterpiece. Oh yeah, let's not forget that even after the first two runs of the game had been sold out, they simply could've repackaged it and sold it again for premium prices. Is this what they did? No, they took the time to add many extras to the game and offer fans an upgraded version, for as reasonable of a price as they could.

This game alone has had a big hand in keeping the Jaguar community as strong as it is today, and will continue to do so for many years to come. You may not think that this game is worth plunking down $170+ of your hard earned money, but many others think it is, as evidenced by the number of fans on here disagreeing with your opinions. Not to try to throw them in your face; you probably simply weren't aware of the history surrounding the fanfare. Well, now you know. :D

Hey, thanks for the info Sauron. I understand a small company trying to meet supply and demand... What I dont like is people who are not collectors or gamers that get on E-bay and know that they will make $$$$$$$$$, then sell the game just for profit.... These arent true collectors, just got $ signs in their eyes... Very much degrades the hobby in the worst way. Thats where the price gets jacked up to $500-$600 for 1 game. I dont care HOW good a game is, or how rare it is, or how much supply and demand is for a product, how many people can afford that game? A few hundred? It caters to those wanting the game bad enough, they will pay anything to get it... I make good money at my job, but priorities in life come first. Would love to see How good this game is, but my money just cant be spent in that way. No matter how good a game is, you will play it, get tired of it, then put it in a shoe box for years!!! After you get over the initial RUSH of the game, it will get put away. Hopefully this game is the saving grace for the Jaguar. At least the gamers and the Homebrew companies are willing to put time and money into a product they believe in... God knows Atari never did for most of their systems... Poor Atari..........